Advice from the old dogs.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Garnett

Advice from the old dogs.

Post by Michael Garnett »

Hey guys, I've been away for a long time, just to let you know I'm still breathing. Still playing steel, and bought a mandolin a few months back. We're playing a few gigs a month down here, and are gearing up for a big one (Cattle Baron's Ball, Tyler, TX with Pat Green, June 5th.)

Ok, I have my Nomex undies on, bring it on. We're getting $100+ a head for playing 1 set as a backing band for a local girl and then get to play pretty much as long as we want (probably 3 or 4 sets) on our own before Pat comes on.

Now that we're back up to date, here's my situation. I've totally stagnated here in this town, and I'm looking for a little change in scenery. I've been working in a bar for the past 2.5 years, and I'm getting bored. This is what I'm considering: This fall I want to head up to Levelland, TX and attend the South Plains College Country / bluegrass program. I don't know if I want to be a professional musician, but at 24, debt free, and single, what better time to give it a shot, right? The family's behind me all the way. Money's not a problem, I can do anything to make ends meet.

I'm guessing some of y'all have heard of the program out there? Have any of you attended it? I have a few buddies here in town that have done it, and say it's the real deal. I figure with steel, mando, and a little brush-up on harmony lyrics I could really do something up there.

Penny for your thoughts?

-Michael

P.S. - I have read Wayne Baker's "retirement" thread down just a ways, and I guess my situation is similar to what he's looking at, just from the other end of the career. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Michael Garnett on 06 May 2004 at 06:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL> at 24, debt free, and single, what better time to give it a shot, right?</SMALL>
Right! You're only young once. You will not always be 24, you may not always be debt free, and you most probaboly will not always be single.

Give it your best shot. The world is your oyster.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

<SMALL>I don't know if I want to be a professional musician,</SMALL>
It's not an easy life and there could come a time when everything that you know and love would be irrelevant, still and all, if you do what you think is meaningful and live the life you want to live, then that's what it's all about, isn't it?

I had always wanted to study music and I went back to school to study music when I was 24. There were a few comments like, "you'll be 29 when you graduate", as if that should be a deterrent. But I was going to be 29 anyway and I really wanted the satisfaction of having a couple of degrees and spending those years immersed in the music world.

It was 5 of the most enjoyable years of my life.

It's also a good idea to have a marketable skill to fall back on, just in case it's needed.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Chas brings up a good point. When I was young, I decided to learn and get some experience in the mattress business. Now I have something to fall back on...... Image Image
Don Sowersby

Post by Don Sowersby »

Mikey,

Follow your heart and never look back.

"Uncle" Don
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Yep, the word from Howard,
be a steeler and a rag dealer on the side. Image

If you do anything learn to write songs, that is the only REAL way to make a long term living in the business.

And remember if your write 500 songs, a few might be good.
So write 3000....

Having all the chops in the world, a great personality and good looks doesn't ensure success in the music business. It don't hurt of course. Image

But a catalog of songs people of many ages can identify with can take you to a long term success.

If there are no lyric and song writing/analysis courses there, maybe look else where.

One of my main reasons for cionsidering a return to the USA is that I can't be as effect as a song writer here where french is my much more secondary language..<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 08 May 2004 at 01:36 AM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Thank you guys for your help and kind words. Don, I need to take a road trip to come see you sometime, it's been too long, and we need to catch up.

So far as I know, there's all sorts of classes there, and it's an associate's degree you get when you're done. But, you don't have to follow a set degree plan, and they won't get mad at you if you don't finish the whole thing. From what I hear, there's classes on sound engineering, both in and out of the studio, along with music theory and songwriting and vocal classes. I'm planning on taking a road trip up there to see what I can find out. Have any of you forumites ever been there? Anyone have any buddies that have gone there? From what I read, it started back in 1975, so it's been around for a while.

-Michael

P.S. - David, maybe there's not as much call for country music songwriters in France, because "Crying in your wine" doesn't sound near as cool as "crying in your beer". :-D<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Michael Garnett on 08 May 2004 at 02:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

Michael:

I was in your dilemma when I was 25. Not heading into music, but another field that was even more risky. The thing that made me decide to "go for it" was pretending I was 75 years old and was looking back on my life. I wanted to know the answer to the question, "What would have happened if I had went for my dream? Would I have made it or would I have fell flat on my face?" Either way, by trying, I would know, which I thought would be much more satisfying than not knowing. If I had listened to relatives and friends, I would not have tried since the odds were against me. Incidently, I did make it and am still in the same business after 34 years! And like you, I was single and not in debt. I decided the biggest risk I was taking was having to listen to all those "I told you so's!"
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

When I was in my late teens and early 20's (almost 30 years ago),I was presented with opportunities to play steel. Because I loved playing music, I took every opportunity. I never had to ask myself "Is this what I want to do?" Of course it was what I wanted to do. I was however, realistic. I always worked hard and would take on challenging contract work during the day(most of my steel guitar gigs were at night). I learned a lot about business, getting along with people. It's kind of backwards but the steady income from my music career ultimately allowed me to take risks during my daytime and off night activities and develop as an entrepenuer. Over time, my career slowly shifted from full time steel player to what I do now. I really could not do what I do now, as well, without having been a full time steel player for all those years. I don't really look back and say "those music days were the best" but because of the foundation I got in the early days, I think "these days are the best" and "the future will probably be even better". I still play and I enjoy it even more now. I can hardly imagine my life without that dimension.

There is no doubt that if you love to play, and you can afford to play. Do it now, put a ton of effort into it, and use it to lead you where ever your path will take you. If you have an open and inquisitive mind, playing steel (and playing it well)will serve you well into your golden years. It has me (although I'm in my silver years)

Advice from an old dog.

TC
JamesMCross

Post by JamesMCross »

I'm not sure if I'm an old dog yet at 48, but I will share this with you. If it's helpful, great. If not, you're no worse off.

At 24, I was single, debt-free, and playing lead guitar 5 nights a week with a country rock band in clubs and on short road trips throughout the intermountain west.

I was real happy, but we didn't make enough to support us without a day gig. I did a lot of different jobs, none longer than a few months, and worked as a baker off and on for a few years. After much reflection, I decided to go back to school, learn a trade to fall back on, then take up the music again when I had some money set back. I put my guitars in the closet and learned how to write computer programs. I got a job very soon afterwards, got married, started a family, etc.

fast forward 16 years....

At 40, I was miserable and working my butt off travelling every week as a consultant, working 60+ hours a week at a job I couldn't stand. I was making good money, but not really living a good life by any standards.

I decided it was time to play music again, realizing that the chances of making a comparable living at it were slim and none. I still need the day gig to fall back on.

I got my stuff out of the closet, polished it up, upgraded some of it, and found a gig with 4 or 5 club gigs a month. Bought me a new Remington Steel S12, and took a couple lessons. Quit the travelling consultant gig, and took a lower paying job that keeps me in town most of the time.

Now, fast forward again 8 more years to today....

My fall-back job is going to be outsourced in the next month. Jobs available in the market today that call for my skillset are paying maybe 30-35% of what I am used to making, and are going mostly to younger people. Music-wise, I am playing an average of 1 night a week with a halfway decent local band, and we make about $100/man on most gigs. The years I took off from playing has taken an obvious and irreversable toll on my skills and energy as a musician. I do not see these ever coming back.

Don't get me wrong - I made my own choices and I understood the consequences at the time.

I like being able to play gigs for fun, not because I need the $100. But, whenever I see the awards shows or Austin City Limits, or whenever I run into somebody I know who's stuck with it and been playing all their lives, I wonder if I could've done it too.

Many of the musicians I've met in these last 8 years are the happiest and most fullfilled people I've ever met.

So, that's my story. Good luck to you...

My advice? Do it!
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Michael, you already know what you've got to do----JUST GO DO IT!!! I'm a 48 year-old, and I spent my years on the road, and loved it. But don't make the same mistakes I did---leave the heavy partying for somebody else, and remember, it's a BUSINESS! So when you approach a gig, look at it like another day on the job. And may God bless you, man!
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Michael:
Follow the dream for awhile, but remember there are lots of musicians working for little money. Only the very best in class make a good living. As time passes it gets harder to make a living because of the demands of life and the demand for youthfull players.

After a hard look and some good advice I chose engineering as my primary income and music as secondary. I did road time before settling in my career. It was fun, but a burden on my growing family. So I went back to eng. and filled my music lusts on weekends.

Now, at 62, I seldom play out anymore, but engineering still pays me a pile of money every week which is quite nice. It turned out a good choice for me and something for you to consider.

It's your path and so choose wisely as you can, and may you find reward in it.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Michael, When I was 24 years old, I left my supermarket job in New York State and went to Claremore Oklahoma where I attended the Hank Thompson School of Country Music, a 2 year program at a community college. I had lots of fun, played in a lot of Country Bands both at school, and around the Tulsa and Coffeyville Kansas area. I also got some education. A two year associates degree in any field is better than no degree when you are out in the job market. I am still playing with a weekend band, and I now run a music store for a living. I never got into the "big time" music scene, but I went on to Oklahoma State and got a four year degree and never regretted getting the education. Go for it. If you do something you enjoy, you'll never work at making a living...