For Rusty Young fans

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Zirbel

For Rusty Young fans

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I ran across this while surfing the net. Rusty Young He talks about ZBs, Twin Reverbs, tubes, Buddy Emmons and more.

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
Sho-Bud Super Pro, 8 x 5, ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, Webb 6-14E, Fender Vibrasonic Custom,
The Mother Truckers

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 08 April 2004 at 10:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Murrow

Post by Keith Murrow »

..<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Keith Murrow on 26 October 2004 at 03:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

Great article, hard to believe that the article was written 32 years ago, and as of that time Rusty already had 12 years professional experience and 19 years total experience with steel guitar. That's over 50 years steel playing as of year 2004. Time flys.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Great article!

One thing that wasnt mentioned was that Rusty was playing pedal steel in ROCK bands around Denver a few years prior to Buffalo Springfield and Poco, not just country music in honky tonks.
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

<SMALL>hard to believe that the article was written 32 years ago</SMALL>
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that the article was written in '72 -- amazing how time flies.
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Bad Weather is still my favorite steel solo. JP
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Jim.. Bad Weather is one of the GREATEST steel solos of all time... bar none! I also freak out over a solo he does on the Cantamos album.. the song is "What ever happened to your smile".. Rusty is among the very best steel players in terms of tone, taste,originality,innovation etc..underrated IMHO.... bob
Karl Schaefer

Post by Karl Schaefer »

Yep, "Boenzee Cryque" was one Denver band featuring (the young) Rusty Young, which hit Grand Junction, Colorado. That night he patched into leslies that a mutual friend had onstage for his B3, and 'tore us up'. It was probably 1968. My keyboard friend was experimenting too, pounding his Fender Rhodes through a Crybaby pedal. They jammed while I was trying to get the 'Light Show' set up. I am lucky to have experienced innovation as it happened. His instrumental, "Grand Junction" is, of course, my favorite forever.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I don't know guys - Bad Weather is pretty good but I think Buffalo Springfield's "Kind Woman" has one helluva soulful pedal steel solo by Rusty.

Heck, it's all good.

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
Sho-Bud Super Pro, 8 x 5, ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, Dobro Cyclops reissue, 1967 Fender Telecaster, Webb 6-14E, Fender Super Reverb
The Mother Truckers

Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I agree with Dave about "Kind Woman" -- I've always been amazed by how much feeling Rusty managed to draw out of so few notes ...
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

"Kind Woman" (Buffalo Springfield):
IMO if RY had never played on another recording, this cut would still put him in the pantheon... playing unlike anything else going on at the time, elegant, tasteful, almost Baroque...

but he did go on to play "Prodigal" on Suite Steel- another emotionally charged performance...

and of course POCO's Bad Weather... their version of Honky Tonk Downstairs

Not to mention the whole DeLIVErin' album... a triumph of "stream of conciousness" accompaniment (Consequently so long- Just in case it happens Yes Indeed)

I think it's past time ole Rusty goes into the HOF.. but I ain't holdin' my breath.

Keith Murrow

Post by Keith Murrow »

..<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Keith Murrow on 26 October 2004 at 03:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Keith, it's a good thing you didn't mention Jerry Garcia on the other forum! Image

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
Sho-Bud Super Pro, 8 x 5, ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, Dobro Cyclops reissue, 1967 Fender Telecaster, Webb 6-14E, Fender Super Reverb
The Mother Truckers

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 30 April 2004 at 05:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dan Farrell

Post by Dan Farrell »

No doubt Rusty Young deserves to be in the HOF. I saw him with POCO in 1969 (maybe early 1970) and have always liked the psg since. Beisdes his country and country-rock playing, check out his version of "Everybody's Talkin' " on Suite Steel. His jazz chops/C6 work is right up there BE's "black album".

DJ Farrell
'97 Carter D-10
NV 1000
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Does anyone know for sure if he is or is not related to Neil Young?

Brad Sarno

Ann Fabian

Post by Ann Fabian »

Brad: I'll try to ask Rusty that the next time I talk with him. I actually have spoken with him a couple times just recently when he purchased his second Carter (a black S-10 this time). He seemed very happy and content and energized for upcoming performances.

He says Poco (with Richie) plans to shoot a DVD May 20 2004 at a live concert 8 pm at the Bellcourt Theater in Nashville. See this page for info on that concert of old and new songs: Rusty's Journal.

Also, you may be able to ask Rusty in person as he'll be near you with Poco in St. Charles in July. Here is the Poco gig schedule.

btw: here is the official Poco web site address Rusty gave me poconut.com.

... hope that helps

<FONT SIZE=-2>Ann Fabian Image
Carter Steel Guitars
[url=http://www.SteelGuitar.com</FONT>]www.SteelGuitar.com</FONT>[/url]
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Here's the cover of the Guitar Player which featured Rusty. Nov/Dec 1972.

------------------
Cal's Corral
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

GREAT post
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Rusty led me down the path to playing steel.
He will allways be one of my heroes.