Sleel Players in Austin,Texas.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Olaf van Roggen

Sleel Players in Austin,Texas.

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

I just came back from my vacation in Austin,and over there I heard some incredible steel players.
First of all I saw and met Herb Steiner,what a musician and what a steel player!!!
Then i was introduced to Ricky Davis,this guy has A very unique sound,and what a joy to see him play!!!Ricky i became a fan the first time I heard you with Billy Dee.
The next one was Jim Loesberg,I guess with Justin Trevino on bass and no other than Pete Mitchell on guitar!!!!
...and I saw all these guys playing when I was with:"NEIL FLANZ"who just recently moved to Austin.
I got the honour and pleasure of hearing Neil playing live,for the first time in my life.Unforgettable!!!
So guys! I think in five days I saw all these guys more than once play in the Austin clubs.
Neil and I arrived at the The Broken Spoke while a band with steel player were playing,as soon as the guy heard that Neil came in,he was afraid to play and asked if Neil wanted to play.
Austin is fantastic,with great clubs and lot of good music.
...not yet able to post the pictures I made,want some good music???Try Austin.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Man, am I JEALOUS! You lucky guy!
Bill Fulbright

Post by Bill Fulbright »

You are truly hearing some of the best playing steel players!!

Hope you get to do it again... say hi to Neil for me.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
Seeking a D-10; Yamaha SY-77; My Music Site

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Hey it was great to have you over here Olaf; glad you had a great visit and soaked in some cool tunes....come back real soon.
Ricky
Matt Williams

Post by Matt Williams »

One other guy who is a true local treasure to Austin is "Asleep at the Wheel"'s Big Jim Murphy. I think he plays no-pedal in that group but I've caught him several times at the Continental Club playing PSG with Red Volkart (another local virtuoso of the 6string telecaster)and Earl Poole Ball. He's been playing this super-fine blonde and green Pro-II that Ricky Davis restored. Ricky is as pheonominal a restorer of steels as he is a player, one of my favorite guys...Anyway, Ricky, Big Jim, and Herb, you guys all rock. I havnt seem em in a couple of weeks...need to get out more!
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

Hi, Ricky Glad you remember,I have heard a lot of steel players since I was 14 years old,almost heard'm all....but you really amazed me the ease you play steel and the fun you have playing the steel.
I heard from Neil,Buddy Emmons plays with ease and the same fun,besides you have an incredible clear sound....and Matt I guess Ricky plays a steel from Jim Murphy.
I'll be back for some more!!!