Survey: Steel Players with Turntables

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Vinyl
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

No, I don't have a record player anymore, so vinyl is out.

Drew

------------------
newslinkassociates.com
drewhoward.com

Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

I have a turntable and prefer to put everything on cassette to record copy.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 24 January 2004 at 06:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I have a turntable and have been experimenting with "cleaning up" some old steel LP's and transferring them to CD via the computer.
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Survey sez....yes.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I got one.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Heartland America sells a combination CD player and turntable in one unit. It is made
by Teac and plays 3 speeds 33 45 and 78. The price I belive is $149.00..Im not sure of the 800# but you can look on the Internet for info. It does a good job.

Thorens makes a 3 speed with a 78 speed as well but the cost is over $300.00. J&R Music
World in NYC sells them. Maybe Howard can post the 800 number and, or the website. Thorens is made in England and is a top notch turntable,but thats a lot of vinyl at $300.00.
Larry Clark

Post by Larry Clark »

I've got one.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I gots.

Vinyl rules.

Back to Mono!!
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Vinyl rules!!!! I have two turntables, the favorite being a Thorens 135 from the early 60's, plays all speeds and has a pitch control. CD's are handy but for an ultimate listening pleasure I choose vinyl.
Vernon Hester

Post by Vernon Hester »

I have one in my den system and copy to cassette on ocassions and sometimes to CD.
Have a lot of LP's I still listen to.
Vern
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I have a serious Thorens turntable and classic Mac's with Klipschorns and a dozen boxes of LPs and 78's in all genres...

All in storage on another continent.

I can't even find a turntable to borrow here to listen to the HCOA album and put it on CD for myself.

But I imagine there defintely are homes awaiting for Tom's old steel records
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

b0b, add me to the list of turntable users.
I have two systems and three turntables and can play 78, 45, 33 1/3 rpm.
I have purchased albums from Tom Bradshaw in the past and am interested in what you will have for sale.

Oh, by the way, you might want to check them because I got a warped one from Tom. Some of his storage may not have been optumum.
I pressed it between glass sheets to remove the warp.

Blake<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Blake Hawkins on 25 January 2004 at 03:43 AM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

b0b, we've got a couple around the house and we listen to some of the old vinyls quite frequently. and we still are moving some of our best loved ones to cd's. we would be interested in what you have.

fred and pat

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

I still have a turn table and an 8 track, and use them both! Image I vote YES
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I still have one. And I use it.
Stan Steinberg

Post by Stan Steinberg »

I have an old Luxman turntable but I need a new needle...can anyone recommend a place where I can buy one...or give me a phone number. Thanks
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

I have a 30 year old AR (Acoustic Research) turntable with a 5 lb platter and an Empire cartridge. It's pretty nice, but it lives in its (original) carton in a closet unless I need it to transfer some LP track to CD.

If I were to pick between LP and cassette formats, I think I'd go with LP. The fidelity is better and the speed is more likely to be accurate (cassette players seem to be all over the map regarding tape speed). But once the LP was in my hands I'd transfer it to hard disk and then to CD, and put the LP in storage.

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?</font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 25 January 2004 at 06:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Funny thing. I just got through ordering a turntable to pick up at Circuit City today. Have lots of vinyl. I am going to convert most of my LP's and cassettes to CD. I have a storage problem and the LP's take up too much space. I will probably keep all the steel records and take the rest to the local used record shop and see if they want them.

Although I have a CD burner in my stereo setup, I am curious as to how you guys hook a turntable to a computer. That software that removes hiss interests me.

Gordon... I believe that copying anything that is copyrighted (CD, LP, Tape, Video, etc..) and then selling is illegal unless you have permission from whoever owns the rights. I believe that the law reads that you can copy these things only for YOUR OWN personal enjoyment. I think that you are not even allowed to copy and give away the copies. You are allowed to make a copy and then sell the original as you paid for that (I hope) and it is yours to do what you want with it. I wish this wasn't the case as I want copies of some out of print records and old TV shows that some people have and would pay top dollar for them.

And b0b, since I will have a turntable again, I would be interested in some of the LP's also.
Kevin Macneil Brown

Post by Kevin Macneil Brown »

I still have a turntable, and prefer LPs to cassettes, for sonics and graphics both.
By the way, I haven't done so myself yet, but I have friends who have invested the 30 or so bucks for a little phono preamp from Radio Shack so they can record their LPs into the computer hard drive.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Yes, I still use my turntable. My preference:

1 Vinyl
2 CD
3 Cassette

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

Count me in! Though I play CD´s a lot also, I´ll never part with my vinyl records and regularly go shopping around the used record markets.
About the difference: Hard to tell. Vinyl records sound a lot warmer, sometimes more pleasant to listen to. On the other hand, when there´s steel related music I´d like to play along with, CD´s are more practical to use and I´ve also found that the sound is sometimes clearer if I want to figure out something. But personally, when I´m looking for a certain record, I don´t really care that much if it´s on vinyl or CD as long as I can get hold of it somehow.

Regards, Joe H.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Henry on 25 January 2004 at 10:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I still have a turntable, and prefer vinyl to cassettes.
Jim McGinnis

Post by Jim McGinnis »

I have one. I also have a lot of Toms material, esppecially the ole Steel Guitar record club LP's.
Doyle Huff

Post by Doyle Huff »

Bob, I have one and use it a lot