How did Jeff Newman help you??????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robert Porri

Post by Robert Porri »

My personal experience with Jeff Newman was limited to one phone call. I've been playing 3 months. This is a real nothing post compared to the years of friendship and experiences so many of you have had with him. But I still think it shows the type of person he was. To my impression, upstanding, outspoken, and funny as heck.

I called to order some picks. That's it. I got an answering machine when I called. Other times I'd called, I assume it was Fran who'd answered. I felt pretty bad leaving my phone number, that someone would maybe call me back and use a toll call to buy $12 worth of picks. But about 20 minutes later the phone rang, "Hello, this is Jeff Newman." (I'm thinking "Oh God!" at that point). Now I REALLY felt bad that Jeff himself called me about buying picks! However, he was totally gracious and sounded like this call for picks was just as important as if I'd called to sign up for Topgun (I didn't tell him, but which I hoped to do sometime possibly later this year). Well, when we got the pick purchase squared away, I pulled myself together and asked if I could ask him a few questions. He agreed. One was about how he talked in the video I had of him (maybe his first) negatively about pick-blocking. He's obviously changed his mind or maybe I'd misunderstood because he told me to play fast you had to use it. Then, I asked him about the rattling sound of the strings I get a lot from the bar when I play. He asked me what kind of bar I used. I told him. He said, "TAKE THAT THING AND THROW IT RIGHT IN THE TRASH CAN and get yourself a ___ bar". I laughed, I thanked him for the help, and that was it.

That was a month ago.

Bob P.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

You all know that I NEVER post to this forum, but here goes....

Jeff and Fran are the reason Paul and I are together. Paul was teaching with Jeff at the time and they did a seminar in Houston at the hotel where I was working. Paul and I met and the rest is ancient history. How can you ever thank someone for bringing your soulmate to you?

He and Fran were also very kind to me when I moved to Nashville and knew no one. They offered to let me stay with them when Paul was on the road with Dire Straits.

Jeff was a truly good, honest and unselfish person who would help anyone who needed it. Paul and I will miss him dearly.

Maria Franklin
Tom Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

We have all been touched by Jeff's passing. I was fortunate enough to attend several of his seminars when he came to Lakeland years ago. His wit and sense of humor was unlike anything I had been exposed to. On one of these seminars Jeff was explaining what to do if you made a mistake while playing a solo with the band. He said, "If you hit a wrong note during your solo keep playing and the next time around hit the same wrong note and the audience will think it is supposed to be that way". What a great guy he was. Rest in Peace Jeff.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Ward on 09 April 2004 at 02:42 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Ward on 09 April 2004 at 02:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Winnie Winston

Post by Winnie Winston »

Several things....
When I was thinking of doing my steel book, Jeff pushed me into it.
When I was done, he was lavish in his praise.
When I got a Sierra 14, we spent a lot of time talking about "universal" tunings, and the talks led to him taking up the S-12.

My favorite Jeff story:
At St. Louis one year Jeff was all decked out in a white tux. Jerry Byrd was playing. Jeff walked across in front of the stage. Jerry looked down and said, "Jeff, maybe one day when you get real good you can dress like the rest of us!"
It was VERY funny.

Of course the two successive years when Jeff played so hot that smoke rose from his hand, followed by the time when Bobby Caldwell sliced Jeff's "guitar" in half with a chainsaw.

After going to lots of steel shows and hearing lots of players I always came away thinking that I just LOVED the way he played. His musicality was just sooo tasteful.

We sure lost a good one.

JW
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Next to Buddy Charleton, Jeff Newman's teachings had the biggest impact on me and my playing. I collected many of his "Steel Symposium" articles that I put in a binder. I also collected all of his articles from The PSGA Newsletter. (Remember the "Moon-eared" series?). His intros and endings course was invaluable to me. And his rhythm tracks albums. Was he the first to do this? And the "Dirty Dozen"- I had it once and I think I lent it to someone. Wish I had it back! And I still refer to this stuff regularly, certainly because of its content, but as much so for Jeff's inimitable writing style. He was very engaging and entertaining, to say the least! And he had a way of cutting right to the heart of things that was just great. His real gift was his ability to take a complex, intimidating, and downright frightening instrument and make it friendly. feasible, and fun for a beginner. He was such an encourager. He was a pioneer and a beacon in the days when there was no internet, no PC's, and no videos to distribute instruction like there is today. I would bet there is not a steel player alive that has not gotten something from Jeff. What a legend, what a legacy.
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I guess I can honestly say the inspiration of the first seminar at Washington Pa back in the 70's made me even more determined to play steel guitar & get that tone those fellows like Jeff had. I am still using material that I got from him years ago. I remember seeing him & Buddy Emmons up in Pittsburg Pa in the 80's, I went home, got on my Motorcycle & rode to Jeffs old place there close to Nashville & spent a couple of days soaking up some of the greats of steel guitar. He thought I was nuts when I pulled in there on my bike, guess I was in those days. Rest in peace old friend.

Ernie Pollock

------------------
John Cox

Post by John Cox »

If it hadn't been for his "Woodshed Workshop" series and the video tapes he had out in the 80s, I doubt I'd be playing today. I'll really miss him.
J.C. Image
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i was'nt as fortunate as most of you here, since so many of you knew Jeff.
i never got to meet this Gentleman
i would just like to say, that i am one of the many nobodys that got my hands on some of Jeffs teaching materials and that he helped me develop a correct approach and understanding of this wonderful instrument that we all love and cherish.
Thank You Jeff and may the Good Lord keep you and your Family close to Him
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 09 April 2004 at 08:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'd have to say I owe Jeff a lot as I'd been stumbling around trying to learn things on my own and doing OK I thought but I just wasn't sure of how to go about a lot of steel things. Being a lead guitar player for years I'd always tried to think of the steel like a guitar player. I attended Jeff's Seminar in El Segundo, Calif in '77 or '78 and just watching and listening to him everything just seemed to fall into place. I left there with a bunch of new things I could try on the bandstand and I'll be eternally grateful. I was one of only two players at the seminar who had a S-12. Jeff even came to my guitar and showed me some things I could do with the 11th & 12th strings which really added some nice voicings to my playing...... At Scotty's in 1998 I was hanging out with an old friend of mine from the old SoCal days (a fiddle player) and we were wandering around mostly. We'd go in the hall an hear a few songs from most of the players and then we'd leave to get a drink or browse around outside. We set down to Jeff's show and after a few tunes I said "Hey man, let's go get a cool one". He said "you go ahead, I really like this guy, I'm going to listen some more"... Now remember, this was a fiddle player who didn't play any steel at all but something about Jeff's playing really turned him on. I went ahead and stayed for the whole show and was very happy I did. The steel world is short one very great "musician" as his music spoke to a person I know who knew nothing about the steel but loved Music.....Rest in peace Jeff.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Tom Ensink

Post by Tom Ensink »

I had the privilege of flying over to the states and stay at Jeff and Fran's lodge for two weeks in 1998 and in 2001.

His patience and teaching capabilities are legendary! We played nothing but scales for three days from 8AM till 4PM. The other days were mostly spent in the sun drinking coffee and just chatting and laughing about facts of life itself.

I came back totally relaxed and with greatly improved playing skills and views about the instrument. Three years later I succesfully repeated that stint, and would have done it again if it weren't for this tragic accident.

My thoughts are with his lovely wife Fran.

Tom Ensink
Netherlands

------------------
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Like a majority of folks here..when I first purchased a D10 back in the early 70's..I knew pretty much nothing which made me very dangerous. I ordered the MUSIC TO GET C6th BY from Jeff ( still have it ) and that one little purchase opened up the entire lower neck and the structure. I did also purchase from Jeff several items througout the years.

In the mid 70's I did attend an E9th seminar in Long Island NY and what I learned from Jeff and came away with was that he was one of the most gentle folks you could ever come across. His manner and disposition was foremost in his ability to teach. His ability to communicate with the most proficient player and the novice at the same time was a true gift.

Back in Feb 04 I attended Jeffs seminar in Saluda SC and again found Jeff to be the same , no, even more gentle man I had first met back in the 70's.

Jeff to me was the definition of "The Most Unforgetable Character" that you hope to meet in your lifetime.

Thankfully I got to meet him several times..

When I play and look down at my Steel there is no way I will not see Jeff Newman.

T Prior
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I had heard of Jeff a long time, but I was living in Europe, then in South America. So, when I got to live in Florida in the late 90's, I grabed the first opportunity to see Jeff (and Fran) in a little town in South-Central Florida. As Jeff explained later, he used to go there because of some ultra light plane meeting.
It was a two day seminar.
He called me a "noodeler" because I could not refrain plucking my guitar's strings all time when he was talking Image.
Lee Ann Rime's Blue was just hot all over so he took that song apart. As most of you know, the song has minor chords and he know most would be chalanged with it, so it became the key center of our learning experience. I by then knew that a 6th chord could also called it's relative minor chord... using the 6th as the new root. But Jeff put something new into the room... That any major chord could be a minor... just move the bar three fret higher and there's your minor. Ithought Jeff must be missing telling everybody that it had to be a 6th chord. But now... he played it and all over he was sounding minor (when needed). He had us do it and he played the bass and fooled us from playing a major chord, and then all of a sudden he wouold make us sounding minor (by playing the 6th not as a root). Everybody liked it, but I was restless, because I wanted to understand the WHY.
As soon as I got home and made my number charts. Then it clicked... it didn't need to be a 6th chord.. as long as the bass was playing it.
It's so stupidly easy and logic, I alomost feel ashamed by telling, but I must not have been the only one.
Now I made it easy for me:
A I chord is a VIm
Thus a IV is a IIm
and a V can be used as a IIIm
Once you can play I, IV and V (and on E9th, that's easy) and then learn that by the same take you can play all the three major minors... Tsatz good, you know. Image

I will never forget his humor.

It is sad that it took me until his passing to do the little research on the web I did yesterday, to realize that Jeff was as much an authority among pilots and model air craft buiders as he was to us as a musician: A commercial grade plilot, 3D stund pilot and seminartist. He had an exciting life.

... J-D.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

The Jeff Newman course that explains right hand blocking really helped my playing immensely. I still tell students to put the life line on they're right hand on the fourth string. There was an intro course he had that had an intro similar to the Buddy Emmons intro on "Different Kind of Flower". I would never have been able to figure out that first lick if I hadn't first learned it in a Jeff Newman course. He had a great way of simplifying music theory and making it fun to learn. May he rest in peace.
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Jeff helped me to learn harmonized scales, E9 pockets to play in, and how to hear the changes and chart songs.

Jeff's CD's have provided me with hundreds of hours of quality practice time.

Rest in Peace.

Ron
Ad Kersten

Post by Ad Kersten »

I have met Jeff several times when he came over to The Netherlands to teach us. I also met Fran one time, when she came with him.
I guess we had 3 or 4 of these one-day workshops and I attended all of them. And I can tell you: this was always a big treat to me. Having had Jeff as a teacher is the best thing that happened to me as a steel player. Image
I know it has been said many, many times, but it is a fact: he was a tremendously good teacher. I know for sure he has helped a lot of us players over here to get were we are now. With lots of humour of course: we laughed over and over again. Great guy.

At the last workshop, about 14 years ago I think, he had a Zum U12 with him and told us it was for sale. I already had ordered for a brand new Emmons LeGrande III but I knew it would still take at least one year and a half before this was to be delivered. I also was interested in the universal tuning. So, after having a lot of discussions and advice from Jeff and other steel players that weekend I decide to buy the Zum from him. When I told him, he said that I would not regret it for one minute. He needed it the next day to play in Germany however and there I could pick it up.
So, that's what I did: I drove down to a little town near Frankfurt where he stayed with a German steel player and his family. I was invited for dinner and we had great fun and laughs. At the end of the evening we went to look at the Zum and Jeff explained to me why he had the Day set up and gave me some tips on adjusting the guitar. When I left, feeling very proud with my "new" Zum, it felt like leaving friends. Because that is the feeling he gave us with his direct, sincere and humerous approach.

I was shocked when I read about his death. I will definitely remember Jeff as a great player, teacher and inspiror. I wish Fran lots of strength in the very sad period.

We owe Jeff a lot for what he did for steel guitar!

------------------
Zumsteel S12U
Yo, Man! homepage

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ad Kersten on 10 April 2004 at 07:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

It was his tuning chart and the 30's Intro's book that got me to playing some "stock" intros as he would say. I don't think I ever played in tune until I got that. I kept the chart in my pac a seat for a long time until I had it memorized and use it today. Later in the last few years it's been the C6 workshop videos that's helped me to understand the back neck better. I keep all of this stuff and dig it out from time to time. Jeff will be helping my step-son learn to play this year as I'm passing this stuff on to him now. Truly the greatest teacher for our intrument ever.
Harry Williams

Post by Harry Williams »

When I first started to research the Pedal Steel about 2 years ago, it didn't take long to realise that Jeff Newman was giant.

How has he helped me? Well when I got my U-12 it came with a Newman "get-started" video, I use his copedant, his tuning chart, his picks, his "Right-hand Alpha" video, and am planning on obtaining his E9/B6 course.

In other words he was my teacher, even though I live 4,000 km from Tennessee. I will always be indebted to him.

------------------
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Like most others, his great courses and seminars helped me a lot. And after discovering his fantastic picks about 5 years ago, I no longer fight the hurting fingers and picks slipping off my fingers as I experienced with Nationals. Jeff will be with me every time I play.

One of my most cherished posessions is a photo I was able to take of Buddy Emmons and Jeff when they did a concert here in Concord in 1984. Jeff was holding my then 1-1/2 year old daughter for the picture. I was able to send the pic to Buddy to autograph but never got around to sending to Jeff to autograph. Everyday as I look at that pic, I will forever remember what a great man Jeff was.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Though I only knew Jeff casually, there have been but a few steelers I know that he had not had an effect on. Herb and Maria's stories confirm everything I guessed about the man, and wish I had the chance to know him better.

I was working in Nashville this past week and really tried to get out to see him at the jam, but the session schedules trumped that, unfortunately, as well as the visitation. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Fran and his family.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

In the early seventies I went to a day long seminar in Maryland.That was the day Jeff told us about the Korg tuner and how it would change our lives. How right he was. When I finally moved to Nashville in 79, I was so broke I could barely pay attention. I always managed to scrape enough gas money together to make it out to Hermitage Tn. Back behind the waffle house, Jeff and Fran had built a steel guitar school . Every Thursday night they would have Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, or Hal Rugg do a concert. Bob Browning would sing and the boys would play. although I wasn't a student Fran would always make me welcome and allow me to partake in the snacks that were set out for the students. That meant alot for an aspiring steel player. I'm sorry that I hadn't spent much time visiting with Jeff and Fran over the past fifteen years. You always think there's tomorrow.
God bless Jeff Newman for everything he has done for us. There will never be another.
BB
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Quite a few years ago.....Jeff did one of several seminars here in the Portland area. It was at a motel near the Portland International Airport....and he had a great crowd. Unfortunately for me, I was "flat broke". Fran had looked at me several times with that always warm and friendly smile on her face and finally walked clear over to the door where I was sheepishly standing, still out in the hall. She asked if I played steel and if I'd like to come on in and take a seat. When I told her I did play steel but was without funds and asked if I might just stand in the hallway and watch the seminar. She assured me it would be okay and then several minutes later she returned with Jeff who, in a friendly and yet commanding way, told me to come into the room and find a chair..... Next thing I knew, he had dug up a pedal steel and brought it over and sat it down in front of me. He then continued on to locate a bar, picks, and the other electronics devices needed to participate. I'll never forget the sincere generosity of these two wonderful people. Perhaps for the first time in my life, I saw in Jeff Newman, what a real GENTLEMAN is made of. From that day on, I have always been an admirer of BOTH Jeff and Fran. Truly wonderful people.
During another visit to Portland, Jeff asked to borrow my Session 400 (which was at home) so he could demonstrate a brand new invention call "the Chorus"... After the seminar, he invited me to accompany them to the M & M Restaurant out in Gresham where he was going to "jam".
I brought all my gear inside and set it up but after hearing so many fabulous players all around me, I got up, and went to sit on the side of the room so as to watch.
In only a very few minutes, Fran crossed the room, and in a manner that only a long-time friend might be expected to do, confronted me in a gentle way, and basically gave me heck for not playing with the rest of the group. I'm no speed picker and likely never will be......... Fran displayed a loving, caring, respectful and encouraging manner and truly wanted me to be an active participant and not merely an onlooker. She instilled in me........what femanimity and real friendship is all about.
Jeff AND Fran........wonderful people. My heart goes out to Fran during this time of "loss". Jeff wasn't able to make a speed picker out of me but, he did teach me more than I will ever be able to explain. I wish I could have thanked him for his generousity. Today, I have a very big hole in my heart, the result of Jeff's absence.
Norm Oelke

Post by Norm Oelke »

I met Jeff in the late 70's at a seminar
in Springfield Ill. I traveled about 400 miles to see him. It was one of my greatest experiences in steel playing. I also met his wife Fran who was very friendly. Since than I have purchased many of Jeff's courses.
I do not consider myself a top notch player, but without his help I would not be able play anything at all.
I am saddened of the news of Jeff I will miss him. May God bless his family.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I've been away from the forum a few days and this is a real shock. Lots of wonderful stories have been posted in Jeff's memory.

I always thought that someday I'd practice enough to make myself deserving of a week at Jeff's Top Gun school. Never happened, although I did attend his seminar at the Lexington show a few years back.

Going all the way back to "Music to Backup By" -- on vinyl-- I've accumulated quite a bit of Jeff's audio-video catalog including:

Up From The Top -- A & B Pedals
Play What You Hear, Hear What You Play
No Speed Limit (I, II and III)
Just Play the Melody
Minor Chord Connection (I and II)
Honky Tonk Heroes -- tracks (vols. 1-4)
Woodshed Workshop-- Look At Us

Jeff put together a nicely discounted package deal for me on most of this at once and he always stood behind his product.

We'll all greatly miss his shows and seminars. I hope his product line will continue to be available for steelers throughout the world. He's left quite a legacy. May he rest in peace, seated behind a U-12.

------------------
HagFan

Mark Tomeo

Post by Mark Tomeo »

After a certain amount of self-teaching, lick-copping and general splashing around in the shallow end, you have to find someone to teach you the finer points of steel playing. For a generation of players, Jeff was that guy. He taught his students to think and play the way the pros do, and never held anything back. I attended Jeffran College twice in the late 70s and this is my strongest memory of that experience:
Jeff was doing a demo session one evening after class and invited a couple of us along to observe. Before getting to the steel, he put down an acoustic rhythm guitar track. He was playing with an elastic capo on the second fret. After the solo space, the key modulated up a half step. Without breaking rhythm, Jeff hit a chord, reached over with his right hand and slid the capo up one fret at the same time sliding up the chord shape he was playing with his left hand, and finished the track without missing a beat. It was really slick and I'd never seen anyone do that before. I asked him about it afterwards and he said, "Son, that's just one of about 50 tricks you gotta know to survive in this town."
He used to talk about how nervous he was when he was just starting his playing career. He said he owned a loaded D12 Sho-Bud because he figured bigger was better, but that it was hard to keep in tune. Later he went to an S10 with 3+4 because he had the music and especially the melody inside him, and didn't need the extra hardware:

Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

He did it all!
Johan