How did Jeff Newman help you??????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Red Kilby

How did Jeff Newman help you??????

Post by Red Kilby »

Hi everyone, If you all would share a story with us all about Jeff???? How and when did he help you with the steel guitar????

My greatest memory of him was this past January in Mesa, Arizona when everyone got him back on stage for the practical jokes he so loved to pull.

Please tell us your favorite Jeff Newman story???????

We will miss you "STEEL GUITAR TEACHER"!!!!
Ben Slaughter

Post by Ben Slaughter »

The video and tab that came with the CarterStarter I bought about three years ago. Clear explainations for a newbie.

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.
Greg Vincent

Post by Greg Vincent »

Three words:

"Right Hand Alpha"

Rest in peace, Jeff.

-GV
JAMES BANKS

Post by JAMES BANKS »

Red, this is a good idea. I had the priviledge of attending his Top Gun School in June. That was the best 3 days of my musical career. I am kinda blank today on anything outstanding. Jeff and Fran made my wife and I feel like were family. Leaving was like leaving really close relatives. On the way home, my wife told me Fran told her he wished he could have had 5 days with me instead of 3. I will always wonder if he thought I was bad I need 2 more days or did he think I was absorbing so much the extra days would just be a bonus.
He was much more than a teacher I admired. He will always be the KING of steel teaching.

James
Miguel e Smith

Post by Miguel e Smith »

When I got my first pedal steel (Gibson Electraharp), I bought the steel and the accessories which included a book by Jeff Newman. I forget the name of it, but the cover was of him, side view (he was very young). I gleaned everything I could from this book inside and out. Didn't ever really know who he was until years later and I was then living in Nashville.
I didn't get to spend a lot of time with Jeff personally, but he was always a true encourager when I was around him. He always made me feel as if I was better than I really was.

Mike Smith www.mikeandt.com
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I'd be happy to tell you how Jeff Newman affected my life.

When I released my second album, Texas Dance Time!, Jeff got a copy and told me " this stuff is great! You need to make this album into rhythm tracks and sell them to the steel community. Then, tab out your solos and sell the thing as a C6 course in western swing."

I told him I was a bandstand picker and that sounded too much like labor. He literally grabbed me by the shoulders, stared me right in the eye, and said "Listen to me. GET TO WORK!"

I finished that product and gave Jeff a copy. He wouldn't accept it, he chose to pay for it over my objections, even though he'd given me lots of stuff based on our friendship. He looked it over, approved, and said "I'll write a blurb about you in my next newsletter."

Well, I thought I'd get a mention, maybe a paragraph or two. Instead, Jeff wrote a lengthy review of my project, glowingly, that was 3/4 of a page of his newsletter. I know how much a page of a newsletter costs to print and mail out. Astounding, but totally Jeff. I sold 150 albums and courses from that newsletter.

I picked up the ball and ran with it. He showed me that an album isn't simply an album, it's a set of rhythm tracks, and its a steel guitar course if tab is included. He got me back into the problem-solving business I had left when I retired prematurely from the Austin Chronicle.

With Jeff's encouragement, I did the same treatment to my next album Rancho Rhythm Roundup, rhythm tracks and tab. I wrote a Gospel course for E9, a small essay on C6 pedals, and I began my series of rhythm tracks packages. I tabbed out a course for Johnny Bush solos.

Wow. I had a catalog. Image

At the Dallas show this year, Jeff preceded me onstage. He was magnificent, and his musical tribute to Jimmy Day was nothing short of poignant. I told him, "you didn't leave much for me up here, Jefe." He laughed at that and we hugged when he got offstage.

Later, when Buddy was playing with Bush, he hung out at my booth, listening to the master. He waved his hand at the crowded, packed hall and said "that man onstage, he's the reason for all this." I said that Jerry Byrd might have had something to do with it, and he said "No. I'm talking the E9 steel guitar. The reason for it is right up there onstage, and that's why we're all here." I thought to myself, "yeah Jeff, but you're a big part of why they're all here, too."

Someone came up to the table and said he'd seen me play with Bush, and I jokingly said "yeah, I've got the best steel guitar gig, don't I?" Jeff immediately said "Wrong. I have the best steel guitar gig." He was serious, though I was halfway joking. He LOVED what he did.

Jeff looked at my product table, went through all the stuff and said. "You have a catalog, my friend. Good work. Keep it up." High words indeed from the man who's most resposible for the medium of mail order country steel guitar instruction.

After the Jamboree on Sunday night, a bunch of us went out to Tony Roma's for dinner, as we generally always do. Jeff pulled me aside and told me some wonderful things that will remain between us, but let me know how much he valued my friendship and respect. When someone I've admired for years not only treats me like a colleague but also a close personal friend, he's touched my heart.

We served together on the Steel Guitar Convention Board and had some friendly but still opinionated debates. He believed in what he thought was right and stuck by his guns. He will be difficult to replace there, as well IMHO.

No man loved his wife more than Jeff. A week before the Jamboree, we spoke on the phone and he said "don't tell anyone yet, but I might not be able to come to Dallas. Fran has to go back into the hospital for a kidney treatment. If it's just a stent, I might get there. But if it's anything more than that, forget it for sure. If Fran's in the least bit in trouble, I'm staying home." I'm sure that's what any of us would do, but I wanted to tell the story anyway.

In the past 12 years, four men have affected my professional life and the way I've recreated myself as a full-time musician after 15 years in other businesses. Johnny Bush, Charlie Norris, DeWitt Scott, and Jeff Newman. Their wise counsel opened my eyes and showed me the way. The hard part, getting to work, is up to me.

Thanks, Jeff. You are the best.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 08 April 2004 at 09:26 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Jeff's features in Tom Bradshaw's "Steel Guitarist" magazine were incredible, and some of the things I learned from those articles get put to work every time I sit down at the steel. In particular, the article where he explained how to "swing" on the E9 tuning changed my life! As each of Jeff's articles appeared in succesive isssues of the magazine, I think a whole crowd of new players took quantum leaps in their development.
Billy Peddycoart

Post by Billy Peddycoart »

When I took Jeff's seminar about eight years ago at the convention Jeff got Me to think different when I played more horizontal so to speak. My playing will always have some of Jeff in it.....Billy

------------------
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

In a query on the history of the E9/B6 universal tuning which I have fallen in love with, pros who were there in the day said that Reece Anderson popularized the idea, but Jeff Newman created the copedent that has become the most standard version. For that he deserves a place in modern steel history next to Byrd, Day and Emmons. Jeff also offered some of the only instructional material dedicated to the universal. And this was merely a side venture for him, as he was a master on a D10 and probably the main teacher in the country. Although I only talked to him over the phone, he was a hero to me, and a great inspiration. I doubt if anyone can ever really take his place. He was a true universal genius, in the fullest sense of that word.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

1981 at the ISGC was the first time I had seen Jeff. I went to one of his seminars and I remember him demonstrating how you can play a song on one fret using pedals and knee lever combinations. I also remember how he was doing kickoffs and how great they sounded and he would say "Don't that sound sick?" He had a way with humor that was special and he sure was a great player as well as a great teacher. He must have had more patience than a school teacher teaching people how to play such a complicated instrument. His memory will forever be etched in my mind. The many teaching courses he has out are tremendous and his playing was top notch. He surely was one of a kind and this steel guitar community will miss him greatly.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

First, Jeff helped me by putting out all that great instructiuonal material. Like the rest of is, I learned a lot from him.

Later, when my Firebird Suite CD came out, He was really encouraging. He made it a point to tell me that he loved the CD and listened to it on a daily basis, and then he did something totally out of character. He offered to let me quote him in an ad.

Jeff rarely if ever endorsed anything. As a matter of policy, he did not allow his name to be associated with products other than his own. Knowing this, I did not ask him for an endorsement. He offered it to me.

What a terrible loss for all of us.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

30 Intros by Jeff Newman

With out this I might still be mostly ignoring the E9 neck in favor of C6

Less than a year later I believe I will be playing several summer country festivals on both necks.
David Weaver

Post by David Weaver »

I'm just a guy who took a week lesson at his home in Tennessee, but he treated me like a friend. After 4 days of lessons, I said, "I can't do this anymore, let's do something else", so we went to Watertown and loaded a trailer so that he and Fran could go to Carolina the next day and get his new ultra light airplane that he was excited about.

He was working on a music project with a California partner that he let me listen to. It was the most beautiful playing I have ever heard...period. I hope that it can be released in some way.

He touched a lot of people with his music, his character, and his humor. Sad news.

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

<SMALL> The hard part, getting to work, is up to me.</SMALL>
Herb, thank you.. and thru you, I thank Jeff.

This is about how Jeff would have helped me if I had had the sense to pay attention...

I met Jeff at a PSGA show I played on using MIDI rhythm tracks I had built myself , either reverse engineering a particular recording, or from scratch... After my set , which was moderately well received (A Way 2 Survive was NOT on my list) Jeff who's merch table was next to mine congratulated me on the quality of the tracks, and urged me to " do something " more with them.

I regret that until now I have yet to have done so; but Herb's story, and the memory of Jeff's compliment (and if anyone knew tracks it was he) is a kick start...

Life is too short, and so unpredictable, to waste time...

Live each day as if it is your last. It could be.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I'd only been playing a short time when I went to Jeff's first week-long advanced class in 1975. I agonized over whether I should go to a beginner/intermediate class, but managed to keep up. The wealth of material and experiences that week were truly phenomenal; lessons all day, special seminar from BE himself, sitting on the opry stage right next to Hal and Weldon, a demo session at Bradley's Barn... these are the things that inspire a person to really dig in and pursue the playing dream. Jeff knew that, and knew how to make it happen. Oddly for me, it wasn't the scales and licks so much as the half day we spent on the Nashville Number system that opened things up for me. I swear my "ears" changed that day, as I learned to hear the differences in color and timbre of the chords within keys. My whole understanding took a quantum leap that day, and I've built on that half day ever since. Thanks, Jeff, you're the tops in my book!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

I went to a seminar Jeff taught for Jim Thompson in Washington PA back in the spring of 1979. I remember Jeff playing "You Are So Beautiful". I had never heard the tune before, but I thought it was a great tune and he did a fine job on it. I never learned the tune on the steel, but I sure would like to have a recording of the way he did it that day! He got me started on E9th that day.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 08 April 2004 at 11:38 AM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I got into his early mail order courses like everybody else and they really opened up the E9th tuning's many layers for me.His often overlooked "Music To Get C6th By" course did much the same for me on C6 and gave me a running start on that neck too.In the late 70s I finally met him in North Hollywood,CA at a music store called Valley Arts which speciallized in steel guitars.He was giving one of his seminars and every picker in town was there. There was a drawing and I won a copy of his latest course "The Dirty Dozen" He was the first guy I ever heard play an E9/B6 12 string and I spoke to him a little bit about that.He was very persuasive and although it was another 12 years,I finally joined the ranks of U-12 players and enthusiests - thanks Jeff.I met him again in St Louis in 1984 and took a seminar with Jeff and Buddy Emmons in which he berated me in front of the class for the crime of being from California.I know it was his caustic sense of humor but to be honest,it kinda rubbed me the wrong way and I pegged him for a while as a bit pompous and arrogant.I know that when I see it because I can be a bit like that myself.I loved the way he played "Crying" on his Kline that year though.In later years I was around him a few more times and finally decided I liked him. In 2002 at Scottys,I stopped by his booth and spoke for a while about Joaquin Murphey.He complemented me for taking care of Joaquin and putting out that last record he did although Jeff hadn't heard it yet. He said: "It's a good thing ya done Mike" I pulled out a "Murph" CD and handed it to him and said here - take this then - on me. He said "No I can't do that - those things cost money" and got in his cash box and handed me $20. And as I got to know him a little more,I realized we had a lot more in common besides steel guitar and a wicked sense of humor - RC airplanes and ultralights.I walk with a limp today and have a gnarled mess of a left knee because of my desire to fly like a bird. And I know too,what it feels like to see the ground rushing up to meet you.
Jeff - I wish I could've known you better. You were spectacular.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Michael Johnstone on 08 April 2004 at 12:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

I signed up for the first week long class, of two that Jeff was doing at the old Valley Arts Guitar Center in N. Hollywood back in 1974. The class was from 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri, but you could stay after class and work on your chops until the store closed at 9PM. A few of the guys would stick around for a bit, but by 6PM, it was down to just me in the classroom. About 6:30, Jeff came back from getting some dinner and when he found that I was still there working on stuff, he took off his jacket, pulled up a chair right in front of my guitar and worked with me one-on-one until the store closed at 9PM. This happened each night. When friday rolled around and the class was offically over @ 5PM and everyone was packing up their guitars, Jeff walked over to me and said "don't pack up that Emmons quite yet, we still have work to do." and again, just Jeff and I sat there until the store closed for the night.
About 8:30 that last night, Jeff looked at me and said "I think you should plan to be here on Monday when the new class starts and we'll pick this up again." I said "I can't afford to sign up for a 2nd week and you've already spent so much time with me that I'll never be able to thank you enough already".
Jeff just cocked his head to the side and with a twinkle in his eye said "You just be here Monday morning and I'll worry about when we're done."
That's how Jeff Newman helped me.
JE:-)>
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

The Right Hand Alpha video changed my concept of playing. And a weekend seminar in Sacramento taught me to play strings 5 and 8, horizontally up and down the neck. Changed everything.
Del Rangel

Post by Del Rangel »

The first teacher I had was Jeff through his videos--Right Hand Alpha, then as I moved over to a U-12, the E9/B6 video (and written course)and recently acquired the C6 Workshop and C6 and Swinging from a fellow forum member. I had only spoken with Jeff on the phone, and he was just a great guy, a natural teacher--and as someone who tries to be a good teacher I recognize God-given talent when I am exposed to it. I don't have it, but he sure did. I had been saving to attend lessons with him back in Tennessee. When I read the news yesterday, I felt at a loss. I wish his family all the best for the future.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

I never had a chance to attend one of his seminars, but through his courses he did a lot for me in understanding the Steel Guitar. I wonder if there's any player (beginner or intermediate) who never had any help from this great person.

I was lucky, though, to hear him play several times on stage in St. Louis and that is a treasure I will always carry with me.

Thanks, Jeff, for being with us!

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

"The Steel Guitar Teacher" And a super guy and player.Can't say anything else that could hit any closer to home.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Carter D-108/5 , Peavey Sessions 400 Limited ,Nasville 1000,Evans FET 500 LV.
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com

JamesMCross

Post by JamesMCross »

I am just a weekend player, working mostly in beer joints with local bands, trying mostly in vain to cop licks from records and keep enough energy going to make it to my gigs after a grueling week of work.

The week I spent at TopGunn school was not only the best possible training I could ever ask for on the steel guitar, it was one of the most relaxing weeks I've ever had in my adult life. Away from work, away from the wife and kids, away from everything but steel guitar and quiet reflection.

Before I took my week's TopGun course from Jeff Newman, my bandmates would quite frequently frown in my direction during a gig. After I got back and woodshedded a little on the material and the concepts, they don't frown all the time anymore, and sometimes they even give me a "Yeah!" after I play a phrase.

I remember clearly sitting down with him at the picnic table the afternoon after I got there. He'd heard me play a little, and said come on out here, we need to talk.

He told me directly and precisely where I was with the steel guitar. It was hard to listen to, but I knew it was the truth and that's what got me over to his place to begin with. Then we spent the rest of the week sorting out the stuff I needed to know and learn, and it was the best experience I could've asked for.

I fight this guitar more often than I play it, but Jeff Newman finally showed me how to play it correctly. When I think about it the way he taught me before I try to play something, I always play it better.

During that same week, Jeff and Fran had me to their house for a hickory smoked steak dinner on Wednesday night, and then we went out for fried fish dinner the Friday night before I left. I never felt more at home or more relaxed with anyone in the 48+ years I've been on this planet. He told me stories about the steel guitar world and how he got started, we talked about our families and friends, playing in bands, dancehalls, pretty much everything that was on my mind at that time.

For him to invite into his home and treat me the way he did made an impact on me that truly changed my perspective on life and how I look at playing the steel guitar. It's been almost 3 years now, and I am still going over the material, but with his encouraging words still ringing in my ears, I am determined to become the best player I can be.

I've been wanting to go back for another week, and had almost saved enough to do so this year.

My heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to Fran and the family.

May God bless his soul - he was truly a great, great man.

jim cross
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Well where do you start. I guess my own story is simple The very first article I ever read in steel guitarist magazine was by Mr. Newman. It has also been a creedo I have lived by musicly and I will never forget it. I guess the title of the article caught my attention. "Laid back, Laid Out, Or Laid Off" (remember???) It explained how a solo artist, especially steel guitar, should learn to not play everything he knows on every song. I have been complimented on the fact I am not an overbearing player. I owe that of course to jeff. I elarned to set back enjoy the music and not let the ice in my soda pop melt before i drank it. the most touching story I have heard about Mr. Newman is the one of my friend Bill. Bill had cut his index finger off at the first knuckle. After the healing process he tried to play steel but it was a huge struggle with that finger missing.( you can imagine!)He was on the verge of selling every peice of music equipment he had and giving up. A call was made by his Wife Betty to explain the situation to Mr. Newman. Jeff developed a bar that was very helpful in the situation and and showed Bill how to develope a different technique to adapt to the bad situation. Bill still plays to this day. (came to our last jam session and played great as a matter of fact) Bill and Jeff have been great friends for many years and it was he who called me last night with the terrible news. I feel bad for my ole friend as i know this is a great loss to him and to all of us. This is one of the greatest things about this forum. it gives us the ability to communicate, learn, and more important right now to grieve and to celebrate the lives of those who have touched us so deep and so close to our hearts as Jeff has done for so many years.
God bless you Jeff Newman and thank you for your knowledge and passion. You will be missed but always remembered with fond memories. I need to go play now...

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Jeff, but would have loved to.
I still have "The Sho Bud Pedal Steel Guitar" course book with Jeff's picture on the front cover. and Jeff taught me a lot about chord progressions through his videos, tab books, and tapes. I am very sorry to hear about his passing.