Steel as the band's only lead instrument

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Been there, done that! (It's better than you think.) You should'a seen some of the jaws drop when I played them "Don Rich licks" on the steel in a Buck Owens tune! Image
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

<SMALL> I like it-Doug "Ernest Bovine" Livingstone</SMALL>
I like it too- when he does it. It's a real treat to watch and listen to him.

I've never done it, but I've played with a bass, drums, and acoustic rhythm guitar player, and I enjoyed that a lot.
Dale Granstrom

Post by Dale Granstrom »

Hi Doug,
Been there, done that. I worked with Erney Howland at the Spawning Wheel, oops, Spinning Wheel back about '74 and had to do the same thing, with bass, drums and gal singer. They played about half rock and half country. That's when I learned as many guitar licks as steel licks and everything in between. It's good for a person!

D.A.G
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

Hi Doug,

We had a 6-piece group, now 5-piece, and 4 part harmonies. It was and still is a challenge to find the pockets of openness without stomping on a vocal or another's backround line.

One the other hand, like David said, since you have the priviledge of being the only lead instrument, you can certainly broaden your abilities by getting a Super-bro to some some dobro, and take the steel tones along with your hands and do some variations, like picking closer to the pick-up to get that Tom Brumley sound. Use a thicker chorus on a song or two. A thicker reverb on a slow song. Think of some other players' styles and incorporate them into whole songs. Contrast IMO is very important as the sole lead steel player.

What I would enjoy about a bass, drums, steel combo is the freedom to play 3 and 4-string chords (unless there are vocal harmonies going on). Even doing some of the "stretch" chords like 3,5, and 8 string, and 4,6 and 10-string combinations would be fun. Play some guitar riffs also. Wish you the best!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark Krutke on 06 April 2004 at 07:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

That's right Dale, and you work every week too, don't you? Add to that, you're a durn site older than I am... Image

Dale can play those R&B and Rock licks like he wrote 'em. Danged if I can. Not to mention all the country stuff.

I've subbed for Mr Grandstrom on his "only lead" gig, as well as Doug Js, and I can tell you it's a JOB. I'm sure that both bands are glad to have them back afterwards.

If you want to work, you have to do new things.

It IS good for a person.

Just like playing with and for people you don't particularly care for.( if that is ever the case

Dale and Doug are BOTH a couple of my local idols.

Just don't play "Rock Scissors Paper" with Mr Jones. A word of warning. He's banned in all the RSP Rooms in Nevada....

Take it from one who left the game with my shirt on...

EJL

The Future is like a train:

Get on it, or get under it.

(Waiting persistantly for my New Marrs~Bud that is due about a year from now..)
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I've played a few times where we had hired a (so called lead guitar player) to sub. I'll notice sometimes he would just play chords for rythum and not take any of the fills. Then I end up playing all the lead parts. But that's the way it is in the rookie leagues where I play. Nick
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I too did that for about 2 years in my early Steel life..it was awesome..

It certainly was a fast track to getting practice time in !

Thinking back ,many tunes I did not play solo's just turnarounds..I kept it simple..cause' I was simple ! I wouldn't mind doing that again..

A few of the clubs on Broadway have just the Steel as the lead Instrument..I kinda like it..

t

George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

I watched Wally Murphy at a club in St. Louis one time. It was amazing. You never missed the lead guitar. Just drums, a bass player that sang, and Wally. But then, everybody is not Wally Murphy.
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

When I kicked off...working for someone else in a knock ém down ..drag ém out Pub...for a year of four nights a week...............we were Singer playing rythmn....Drums...and just me on steel.
Then we formed our own band....Wife as Female singer and Bass player.......Drums....always hired a Rythmn guitarist who could take his share of vocals.....and me as Steel come idiot and a little bit of guitar and silly songs...............some times guitarist could do a few fills and stuff.......but I was never worried about that......always managed to do lead on steel for maybe 3 or 4 nights a week for twenty plus years !
Tony
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Darrell said...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL> I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!!!!!!!!!
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is so beautiful! That is such a complete description of my PSG life too. Somebody ought to copyright that statement. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 07 April 2004 at 01:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Just last night I played a really fun gig with one of my local pals (Shane Bridges) as a four piece, lots of fun being the only lead and looking for the variations and combinations that best serve the song, (and not getting stale in the process!)- I don't understand the idea of it being "hard work", it's much harder to me playing with a large ensemble where several players are competing for sonic space, not listening to each other, and I'm often finding laying out to be the most musical contribution! One of the most fascinating things to me is the way the musical texture changes- Sometimes Shane has a 7 piece band, and his music sounds much like the Rolling Stones or Tom Petty with steel in the mix. As a four piece like last night, it becomes more of an Americana sound, more open and emotional as opposed to driving and punchy. We've also done trios and duos where it becomes even more intimate and evocative. His fans seem to like it all equally well. I also play in a cool duo project (Planet Riders) that leaves me all kinds of creative freedom and fun. Every so often in Sugarland we break up the 7 piece sets with various combinations of fewer players for tonal and timbre textures, and it's very effective. A lot of times I think "smaller's" more musical!
http://www.theplanetriders.com/ http://www.shanebridges.com/ http://www.sugarlandmusic.com/

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Looking at this from the other side of the stage, as a former bass player, I love it.

I did this with Bill Stafford for several years and other players. The music is always cleaner and much more more enjoyable. You need three strong musicians working closely together. You can play some great music with 3 pieces.

The one thing that isn't needed is some half-a$$ed guitar player who never learned when not to play, frailing away on open chords.
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Interesting subject !!! I had this experience just last year , I was hired by a
fellow that has done country for over 40 years and has had stealers like Hal
Rugs back him up . Now here is where the panic set in for me !!! the group was
Singer playing rhythm guitar [no lead ] -- Base & me on steel [ D 8
Stringmaster ] . I'm a back yard steel player , and have played with a couple
groups over the years But they have been more like mobs ,So ! this was new to
me ! and a lot of pressure !! almost terrifying But !! I had to do it !!!!.
Bob
Harley Morris

Post by Harley Morris »

How could one ever DREAM about playing a COUNTRY MUSIC gig without a fiddle?? How would a Ray Price show sound like without a fiddle, or two, or maybe a Hank Thompson show with no fiddles?? It might work for some "off-the-wall" stuff, but not for country, besides, one lead instrument, regardless of what it might be, just "does not cut it" IMHO.... HM
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Spoken like a true fiddle player Harley!
Image Image Image
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

Harley:

You should move to Michigan ASAP. We need ya here.

Tim Rowley
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

What about a great 2 piece. Willie Nelson singing and playing Guitar with Jimmy Day on Steel. Superb.

------------------