Question for BD Bassett

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Question for BD Bassett

Post by Jim Cohen »

Hey BD,
A few years ago you (at least I think it was you) posted some original writing about the "culture" at steel guitar shows. I'm trying to find that and searched the Archives of Bar Chatter, but without success. Have you still got it and can email it to me, or lead me to it online?
Thanks,
Jimbeaux
p.s. By the way, I'm still harrumphed that you didn't come say 'hey' in Mesa! Image
BDBassett

Post by BDBassett »

He Jim,
I'm sorry I didn't meet up with you too. In my own defense, I did ask around if anyone had seen you and everyone said you were hanging out across the street at the Home Depot store so that's where I went. Had a really good Polish Dog with kraut and attended an interesting seminar on how to instal Pergo flooring. Where were you?

I honestly don't remember writing about the culture at a steel guitar show. I've only been to a couple but look forward to many more. I will say that sitting down behind a strange guitar (not your own) in a room full of well known and talented players can put anyone off their game so to speak. I did however, enjoy trying out the Mullen, GFI and MSA guitars on display in Mesa.
Next year I'm gonna try to get a spot on the showcase schedule if they'll have me.

BD