Who plays the steel in Scotty's Video Clips?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Burr

Who plays the steel in Scotty's Video Clips?

Post by Dave Burr »

Does anyone know who plays the steel in the video clips on Scotty's website? You can find the clips in question at the link below.
http://www.scottysmusic.com/steellist02.htm

There are different clips from time to time - Not many on there right now. There was a great clip of Night Life on a Sho-Bud C6th several weeks ago. The guy is a great pedal steel player and is equally good on non-pedal as you can see on the Fender Deluxe D8 - He's also very adept on multiple tunings. Does anyone else ever check these clips out? I've been watching them for a couple of years now. It may be several different players. You can only see the person from the neck down.

Just curious.

Respectfully,
Dave Burr<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Burr on 13 January 2004 at 12:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I'm pretty sure it's Don Curtis. Image
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

It is. Don's a moderator here (SteelRadio) and has two CD available, plus lots of good instructional stuff. All listed on Scotty's site.
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

Most are Don I'm pretty sure. But others look like someone elses hands. Maybe that's just an illusion.
Don E. Curtis

Post by Don E. Curtis »

Dave, hey, thanks for that tremendous compliment...I appreciate it. I do about 97 percent of the audio sound bytes. I try to talk Scotty into it, and he is doing the byte on the Excel JB 8 String Frypan that's currently playing. And the person on the refinshed Fender D-8 is non other than the one and only Russ Wever. So I've been on all the others since the inception of this great advertising idea of Michael Scott. It sure helps sell steels. We can hardly keep a good stock. Contrary to some G.P.'s the steel is booming. The manufacturers are swamped and lesson interest is up. The funny thing, and this is a different topic post...but when I got my first Pedal Steel in 1979 the steel was dying then, NOT!
As long as I have a breath in my body and the Good Lord gives me the strenth to get out of the bed and put the steel in the car I will!
And thanks again for the nice comment, I'm am primarily a D-10 Pedal player, but I have to teach and demonstrate most any confirguration, but it sure is tough to do 3 or 4 bytes in a row on different axes. Plus, and I hate to admit it, and no one knows but Michael Scott, that I'm often sight reading Tablature on a stand just out of camera frame. Shame, shame...Happy New Year!
Don E. Curtis
Dave Birkett

Post by Dave Birkett »

Don, I love your clips and regulary check in to see them. My personal favorite was "I Love Lucy" that you did a few years ago, especially its cadenza. Unfortunately, I didn't save it as I usually do now. I'm a fan. Thanks.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Birkett on 14 January 2004 at 01:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Don E. Curtis

Post by Don E. Curtis »

Dave, I've got that tabbed out the way I played it on the CD, if you're interested let me know.
By the way, the original arrangement was done by Russ Wever in the SGI Enquirer way back. I remember Russ was very proud of it, as he well should be...and me too!
Thanks!
Don E.
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Don, I just listened to the fresh batch of clips on the link I posted above... And "fresh" is just what they were. Wow! Great job!

Respectfully,
Dave Burr
David Holden

Post by David Holden »

Hey Don,

I bought a steel from you several months ago. (One of Robbie Turner's old ones). Just want to mention that it sounds great and I wasted no time putting it to work.

Although it wasn't the only or main selling point, the audio clip definately caught my attention. I looked at and listened to several more clips before narrowing it down to the one I wanted. (You wouldn't happen to remember the song you played on the C6 neck on that one ?)

Again, thanks for keeping it interesting and thanks for the instrument !!

Don E. Curtis

Post by Don E. Curtis »

David, good to see your post and glad you like Robby's guitar, it is truly a one of a kind very rare collectable too as well as a great road axe in the road case.
I think Mike Scott has those sound bytes in archives and I'll ask him to hunt it up for you and I'll see what song snippet it was.
Keep in touch and I'll post that title a.s.a.p...
Keep on pickin',
Don