A New "Music City"??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Franklin

Post by Franklin »

I think Nashville comes in third for diversity to NY and LA. If your center is Jazz, NY. If its Pop, LA, If its Country, Nashville.
Paul
Lawrence Lupkin

Post by Lawrence Lupkin »

Hey Howard, how about an opera about a dead dog?
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Dave Birkett

Post by Dave Birkett »

Guys, it ain't the Nashville record companies; it's the conglomeration of radio stations. You should the TV ads for country radio here in SoCal. They all show young suburban women enjoying themselves without a hint, visually speaking, of anything country: nary a Stetson or a boot. If radio wanted to reach a different demographic and play what we would call country music, Nashville would be more than happy to supply the recordings.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

One thing I should make clear is that in my experience NYC is the greatest and most diverse musical scene on the planet. But the country scene is weak at best. Country music is mostly a shtick in NY. The real guys are in Nashville and Texas. Country is a living and breathing part of the culture there and nowhere else comes close.
Also in NYC there are no great steel players. There are a couple guys that can hold there own with what they chose to play but we are all cheap hacks compared to guys like John Hughey, Reece Anderson, Gary Carpenter, Paul, Buddy and about 200 other Nashville and Texas pickers. The last guy to live in NYC that could really play was Gib Warton.
(Robert Randolph lives over in Jersey so I'm not counting him.)

The only place I've been where the general quality of musicians was up there with NYC is Nashville. Because NYC has so many different and thriving musical scenes I give it the edge.
Nashville wins hands down when it comes to country though.

I've been spending a fair amount of time in LA these days but I still don't understand the scene there.

For you guys that get your culture from big radio and tv you are way out of touch. Thinking that the world of music is limited to what you hear on the San Antonio controlled mass market radio is the same as thinking that the only food in the world comes from either McDonald's or Wendy's.

Bob<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 12 January 2004 at 05:39 PM.]</p></FONT>