Question for Mr. Paul Franklin

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeb Baldwin

Question for Mr. Paul Franklin

Post by Jeb Baldwin »

Mr. Paul,
My name is Jeb Baldwin. I recently started playing for a local band a few weeks ago. Last week I got a left handed D10. I was playing a Fender 400. My question is, on the song I love this Bar by Tobey Kieth, I have the first part of the turnaround,'solo' down pat, but the second part where you go higher on the neck, what fret, strings pedals, are you on? I cant find it to save my life. I love the steel in this song and I want to learn it all something bad. I appreciate it. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeb Baldwin

------------------
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

You might get a better response by asking this question in the TAB section, and not asking for Paul directly.

Often the session guy does not remember what was played. The session was probably a year ago, there were many takes, the produced probably decided what to use later. Maybe the producer pieced together several takes.

Add to that the fact that the session player did a few hundred more sessions after that.

Maybe Paul will answer, but I think your best resource is a club player that figured it out from the recording and plays it every night.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jeb,Joey, thats a good question. I cheat it by by using BC pedals at the twelth fret(F#minor), then open D at ten, then closed D at the fifth, but there is something else in the way of special knee levers or pedals happening there. It sounds like the F# minor and D are being gotten at the same fret.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 12 January 2004 at 07:38 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jeb Baldwin

Post by Jeb Baldwin »

Thanks guys. So far that is what I have come up with. I guess it was worth a shot.
Jeb Baldwin
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Joey Ace said above: "Often the session guy does not remember what was played. The session was probably a year ago, there were many takes, the produced probably decided what to use later. Maybe the producer pieced together several takes."

Thank you Joey, this restores my faith in humanity. I have a hard time playing the same piece twice after practicing it repeatedly....

Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

I just listened to this (thank you WinMX) and it sounds like straight ahead pedal (knee lever) mashing on E9 at the 10th fret, until the 3rd beat of the 6th bar where he plays at fret 5, then back at fret 10 for the 8th bar. In bar 2,5,6 he is using his RKR which you can see here http://b0b.com/tunings/franklin.htm
so if you don't have that on your guitar you will have to do something else.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Hey Ray,
I've been there more than once, and I'm just a "weekend warrior". I get a call from some singer/songwriter who I only met at a single session they hired me to play a year ago. They finally got around to releasing a CD and want me to play at their showcase.

They are surprized when I need the CD.
I'm even more surprized that I have trouble figuring out my parts.

Sorry to hijack yor post, Jeb.

Try asking over at the Tablature Section. I'd be surprized if you don't get your answer.
Jeb Baldwin

Post by Jeb Baldwin »

Thanks guys. I must be having a lucky day. I figured it out! Second part of the 'solo' it is the 10 fret playing the 1st 4th, and 5th strings, moving the 1st string 1 whole tone. I think this is what the other guy just said, but all that bar this and bar that is chinese arithmetic to me! Image
Thanks so much for yalls help.
Jeb Baldwin
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Four beats to a bar, but I should have said "measure" instead of "bar" because "bar" means something else to a steel player.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Earnest...actually it mean 3 things that I can count...not counting "grizzley" or "candy"...