talking" with Emmons and Franklin??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

talking" with Emmons and Franklin??

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Think about it.. we get to discuss steel guitar with Buddy Emmons and Paul Franklin on this forum! ... Its kind of like discussing How to write a hit song with Lennon and Mcartney... talking about scripture with Moses and the Apostle Paul..talking rock guitar licks with Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn... discussing Classical music with Mozart and Beethoven..getting into the finer points of prefab boobies with Dolly Parton and Jenna Jamison... pretty cool !! bob<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 02 January 2004 at 03:22 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 02 January 2004 at 03:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

They put there pants on one leg at a time just like we do. And when they get inside em, they are just people like you and I.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting either of them, but i've met Jones, Hag, Cash, Price and a bunch more and they were all just like neighbors and I expect they would be the same.

Bob
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Ain't it great??!!! Image
Robert Jones

Post by Robert Jones »

I have had the great pleasure of meeting Paul Franklin when "the crew" put the music tracks down on our lead singers demo for Dreamworks. Paul was a super nice fella and we talked shop after the session was over with over lunch. It was something. I have a photo of him and I standing outside of Bluebery Hill studio. A great moment that I shall always have fond memories of. Image

------------------
Mullen Royal Percision D-10 Red Laquar Pearl inlay 8&8
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

They may put their pants on the same way we do ''but they stand taller in them ''. Wow to live next door to these guys would be like christmas all year round. These guys are like magic when it comes to the pedal steel . I'm so thankful for them . I know that this is only my openion! But if you do'nt agree with this then !!!!!!I dont know . Gary.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I might add with the exception of P. MCartney and the ladies Bob C. listed,
all the othes are well.... dead.

I might hazard a guess they also might participate on a forum of their best subjects, if not hampered by decomposition! Image

But yes it is wondefull to have Paul and Buddy and so many others respond on so many subjects.
George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

We have a saying down South about "not getting above your raisin's" There is a lot of respect for somebody who is very successful, but remembers their beginnings. I may be way off base, but I like to think that Buddy and Paul haven't forgot what it is like to try to learn this darned thing we call PSG. I want to think that they believe in giving back and will talk to us amateurs and have not "got above their raisin's". Their participation on the forum elevates my opinion of them not only as steel players, but more importantly, as a caring human being.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

You bet it's GREAT !
and thanx to the Forum we are next door to each other
i often wonder if Jeff Beck or Mark Knopfler participate on guitar Forums like Buddy and Paul do here ?
i don't go lookin'on guitar forums to see if they do or don't cause i'm always hangin'out here Image
it's a blessing havin' the Pope, the King, the Prince, and the Knight amongst us
Now if we could get the Queen here, that' would be great day in the mornin'
maybe she's too busy playin'and on the road to come'round ?
when i met her 3 years ago, i did mention the Forum to her
next time Sarah hits St Lou please don't let her in her carriage before she signs in here
Thank You Buddy, Paul, and all of you for sharing and makin'this Forum
what it is, what it is, what it is Image Image Image

Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Crowbear... I used to hang out on the guitar forums,, what a wasteland...mostly a bunch of kids into thrash metal noise. A few good helpful guys too,but mostly trash talking. Not the kind of community I've witnessed here. Most of the guys here[not all of course] have been around the block and through the wringer a few times. We speak the same language. Only us steel players understand it. Other musicians no matter how talented they might be,will always be on the periphery... not really understanding the kinship steel guitarists feel toward one another bob
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

I agree wholeheartedly,I have met both gentlemen and must say you would be hard pressed to find nicer folks.
Thanks to Paul,Buddy,and all the members that give their advise and support. Also as a general rule,I've only met a couple that were stuck on themselves.Thanks guys!!!!

------------------
Bill Ford
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Bob,thats because this place is like a nursing home.Gariatric wing of the local hospital.Shoot,average age here is probably way up into 70`s.

p.s.

just kiddin`,don`t sue me please... Image

------------------
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Damir... We ARE old!!! does that mean when all us old geezers drop dead no more pedal steel music??? bob
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

you know what Bob,it`s kinda going that way,if you ask me,I don`t really see any bright future for country music and because of that I can see even less of any kind of future for the pedal steel.Unless,someone manage to introduce steel guitar to a different kinds of music (commercial) and keep it alive there wont be nothing left of the steel guitar in the next 50 years.You think todays country music is bad and doesn`t have enough steel in it,just wait.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Damir... Todays "country" is commercial crap at best. Everytime I see one of the pop singing high fashion queens/kings strutting across the stage with young pretty band members who look like they just stepped out of a hatbox, it makes me long for the days of Johnny Cash and the Tennesee Three. Pop is king... I guess there are a few artists who haven't sold out,but today looks and image are the most important aspects of being a big time "country artist" ... Sorry about the sour grapes but I just want to hear a steel solo once in a while that lasts longer than 3 seconds...... bob
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

longer than 3 seconds,huh,you`re pushing your luck now... Image

------------------
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

I believe its what "steel players" are all about and yes its great to read what they have to say,this forum is fantastic that way, thanks to all,pro,semi-pro,amateur,beginner whatever class of player is out there, we all seem to be on same playing field here on the forum, its great... Image
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I suspect the saving grace for steel will be its diversification into other styles for sure.
And not just swinging jazz standards, but many styles.

I like country and I play country. But not just country.
More than that I like the steel for what it can add to "MUSIC" in general.
I see a small trend here in that direction.

That said I applaude anyone who will play country steel
till the have to pry the bar from his rigored hand.

And Damir, you crack me up LOL Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 04 January 2004 at 03:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

"And Damir, you crack me up LOL "

-yes ,sometimes my replies make other people think I`m on crack... Image

btw.I got a friendly reminder from the one of the gentleman I odore more than anything and it is the fact that Alan Jackson came out with his new album where steel is futured pretty heavy and also I got an information that in this coming year we will see more recordings coming from Nashville studios with a lot of steel guitar.I sure would love to see that and let`s hope to see some kind of comeback of todays country music on it`s tracks.

------------------