Essential CD's/Beginners

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robert Porri

Essential CD's/Beginners

Post by Robert Porri »

Similar topics have probably been covered 100's of times before. But, I have a feeling that this may be something most people don't mind expressing an opinion on again.

I'm days away from just starting my PSG adventure. I have a very nice PSG due next week. Ironically, I ordered it 5 weeks ago and it's coming Christmas Eve. Nice present for myself.

I have a small handful of CD's already, but not a full handful. Buddy Emmons, Randy Beavers, Sonny Curtis. I'm looking for thoughts from others on where to turn next as far as either artists or better yet, specific recordings.

Thanks,

Bob P.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Short List:
Jimmy Day "Golden Steel Guitar Hits / Steel and Strings" CD... was on Bear Family, not sure if still in print

Lloyd Green "Revisited" www.lloydgreenmusic.com

POCO De"LIVE"rin' - look for the LP in a bargain bin

Tom Brumley "In Time" available... used to be from Tom himself but I don't know if it's on the web right now...

Country Pickin': the Don Rich Anthology CD Tom Brumley shines with the Buckaroos
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

If you don't like Revisited, you don't like steel!

An essential list must have some reference to your preferneces of musical styles.
Though Dave's above is a good start no matter what.
Joey Gaskins

Post by Joey Gaskins »

One of my favorites to play along with is by Linda Ley and is available through the Cracker Barrell restuarant chain. The steel player is Ricky Davis and to me is how country is supposed to sound.
Robert Porri

Post by Robert Porri »

As far as background in determining what I'm most interested in,

My musical taste varies widely. I started as a Rock guitar player 40 years ago as a kid, went to Classical Guitar in college , more Rock and a little Jazz throughout, finally about 6 years ago started enjoying Country as much as anything.

My PSG is E9 as that seemed the best place to start and where most of my initial exposure to PSG came from. So I guess if I'm looking for things to aspire to, for now I'd say any Country E9 oriented material mostly, although I seem to enjoy anything that features PSG.

Thanks for responses so far. "Revisited" has just been added to my tiny collection.

Bob P.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Willie Nelson has an album called "The Troublemaker" that has some exqusite steel work by Jimmy Day. Maybe this isn't an essential recording, but it's a darn good one.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Johnny Bush - Sound Of A Heartache

This classic album from 1968 has been reissued on CD and (I think) is still available. Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons play their hearts out on this one!!!

Mel Street - Greatest Hits

It's a shame, but I think this is the only compilation of Mel's work on CD. Lloyd Green plays on most of his records (amazing stuff!) and refers to him as his favorite vocalist!

Enjoy your Christmas (I bet you will!)

Walter

------------------
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

The Black album by Buddy Emmons. That seems to be the template that all others have been cut from. The sound that Buddy gets from that guitar alone will mess up the minds of steel players forever.

Bob
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Anything from John Hughey and Lloyd Green. I found out i can't listen to their stuff while driving. I'll wreck the darn car!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Always some great rides on Joe Wright's "Steeling Country Classics" volumes.

For backup steel I'd consider these:

1. Merle Haggard Live At Billy Bob's Texas (Norm Hamlet).
2. Charley Pride Live At Panther Hall (Lloyd Green).
3. Rodney Crowell, Diamonds & Dirt (Paul Franklin)
4. Tony Booth, When A Man Love's A Woman (Jay Dee Manness).
5. Gary Stewart, Out of Hand (Weldon Myrick, Pete Drake, and I think John Hughey).
5. Vince Gill, The Key (John Hughey).

As well as anything by George Strait or Alan Jackson.

------------------
HagFan

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Here are some of my favorites:
<ul>[*]The Byrds, Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
[*]James Burton and Ralph Mooney, Corn Pickin' and Slick Slidin'
[*]Charley Pride, In Person (Live At Panther Hall)
[*]George Jones, Cup of Loneliness: The Mercury Years
[*]Buddy Emmons, Live '77
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

All the above + "Country Dance
Time" with the Texas Troubadors, featuring Buddy Charleton on steel.
Robert Porri

Post by Robert Porri »

Walter,
What a nice experience I had visiting your homepage. Tons of great pictures! Thanks!

Bob,
I have to get the Buddy Emmons album (The Black Album) you mentioned very soon. On the one I have, it's impossible not to take note of the sound he gets, varying tones etc. There is so much style in his playing and he seems to change it in certain ways on every song with different techniques etc. Not that I think I know anything about PSG style at this point.

Brad and everyone else,
First of all, thanks so far.
Also, I just tried to order the Black Album and 77 Live from the Buddy Emmons website and Paypal keeps messing up. Not that you're interested in that, but I wanted to let you all know that I am taking the advice from everyone seriously and will be making quite a few additions to my collection over the next few weeks. I appreciate the help.

I'm biting my tongue because I seem to get more feedback when I don't keep butting in. But, I didn't want anyone to think I've abandoned the thread either.

Bob P.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Robert,

Thanks for the nice comment on my webpage!

If you want to have all the records that have been mentioned here, you'll probably need more than one Christmas!!!

Have a Merry Christmas!

ImageWalter Image

------------------
jjacks

Post by jjacks »

Robert,

I haven't seen The New Riders Of The Purple Sage recommended yet so I'll suggest their Greatest Hits album/CD. Pretty sure it's still available and of all their albums that I'm familiar with, is the showyest (new word) in terms of pedal steel. Buddy Cage is the player on at least most of those tunes and is a fellow that someone with wide musical tastes must check out. You'll have to dig a little cuz he's not a mainstream guy, but he's one of my favorites, and has been an initial inspiration to many here on the forum. Good Luck

Jeff Jacks
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Without a doubt, don't skip Lloyd on "Charley Pride Live At Panther Hall". There are some great compilation albums that give you a good dose of various guys' styles and approaches. Some of my favorites: "Pacific Steel Company", "Nashville Bar Association" and "Suite Steel" (It was Buddy's take on "Wichita Lineman" on that one that made me take up steel). All of the Ray Pennington/Emmons "Swingin'" series are fantastic, great E9 sandwiched in with super smooth C6. For classic E9, don't miss Buddy's Expedition E9 cassette and look for a copy of his teaching LP, with his beautiful shuffle magic. (That one's got tab too!)

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Robert Porri

Post by Robert Porri »

The Lloyd Green "Revisisted" CD came yesterday and it is very much to my liking as far as style and the playing is of course excellent. There were some personal notes attached also which were a nice surprise.

According to UPS tracking I'll be torturing my first PSG within 24 hours.

Bob P.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Robert Porri on 23 December 2003 at 01:42 PM.]</p></FONT>