Any Lady Session Players?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gene H. Brown

Any Lady Session Players?

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Just curious to know if anyone has ever ran across or know of any Ladies out there that are Major Session Players? There are some great pickers amongst some of the Ladies out there I think. And I don't mean just Steel Guitar, any instrument, if you know of one, just curious.
Gene
robert hays

Post by robert hays »

Don't know if they would be considered "major" session players but some that come to mind are Jenee Keener(fiddle) Wanda Vick (steel,dobro,banjo,guitar etc.)and Cindy Cashdollar.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Carole Kay - (I think that's the name) - hugely busy LA session player that played bass on a bunch of stuff back in the sixties and seventies etc.
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Hi Bob, Are you sure you're not talking about Carole King? I do remember her for sure, great bass player, I think she became a Star on her own, if I'm not mistaken.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Robin Mew. A fine bass player!
Tony
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Carole King was a singer/songwriter/star and Carol Kaye was the bassist Image.
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

I Got it backwards as usual , John!
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

My Apologies Bob, you were right all along!
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Los Angeles area bass player Bob Lee has put on his web site the results of his comprehensive investigation into some of Carol Kay's more bizarre contentions.
http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html#drlicks

click on : Who Played Bass on Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her"?
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Earnest,
That is One Very Interesting Article, for sure my man, Thank You for sharing that with everyone.
Gene
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Velma Smith - highly recorded rhythm guitarist in Nashville, late 50's thru 60's, and perhaps to a lesser degree,
steelguitarist Marion Hall recorded during her active years in L. A.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Andrea Zonn (Fiddle) recorded with Vince Gill
Missy Rains (Bluegrass Bass Player)
Sally Van Meter (Dobro)
Alison Brown (Banjo)

------------------
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

Yuall remember Wendy Hawkem? I think that's how her last name was spelled. When she was 12-13, she would rock on a Banjo. Last time I saw her on some show..(about 10 years ago) she ripped on a "Gretsch Country Gentleman".
I belive she was on "Hee-Haw" several times in the past. And, Don't forget Delores Hancock in Burlington, NC. She plays a mean P/P. She recorded on the "Emmons" lable way back when. Very sweet lady. Image
Jim West

Post by Jim West »

Thanks Mr. Bovine for the link. It sheds some light on my experiences with Carol Kaye

I have spoken with Carol for about five hours total on two occasions when she visited my business about 6-7 years ago when she moved to Oceanside, CA. I'm telling you that women could talk! It got to the point where I had to make an excuse to get her to leave. She would just go on and on about the "old days" in recording. She talked about Jamison but to tell you the truth I don't remember the details. She had lots of stories about all kinds of things some sounding very outlandish and even unbelievable. She gave me a complete listing of her studio log which I have somewhere. She laid claim to playing bass on both the Doors "Light My Fire" and Jose Feliciano's version. She said she played the intro guitar on the original "La Bamba" and played bass on the same song for Los Lobos for the movie version. She had an impressive carreer but now I wonder where the line between truth and fiction is with her claims. It's too bad. She impressed me as a very lonely person who's glory days have passed.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

What a story - thanks Earnest!
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Wanda Vick has made a great living in Nashville in the studios for many years. She is first call on many instruments for many producers. A finer player you'd have trouble finding. Male or female. just ask Nashville's finest Session leaders.
Dobro, lead guitar,piano, fiddle, rhythm guitar, mandolin and steel guitar. Jazz, Bluegrass,Country, you name it. Reads well but not enough to hurt her playing.
Remember "Nashville Now", "Prime Time Country" and the "Gathers Family Gospel Show", The band:"Wild Rose"???? She was the band leader for Porter Waggoners "The Right Combination" all girl band. She is now married to a great playing bass guitarest and a nice guy, also studio quality.
Few if any girls have done any better as musicians in the TV or recording studios in Nashville or anywhere. A tremendous talent. And her saga continues-------------

bobbeseymour
Eddie Lange

Post by Eddie Lange »

Do y'all remember Lisa Silver? Fiddle player, cut alot back in the early 80's. Have no idea where she is now.
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

What BOBBE S. said !!!!!!I had the pleasure of working with Wanda in the studio all day yesterday on a European project with Charlie McCoy producing, and she is the real deal...dobro, fiddle, banjo, mandolin, seems like it doesn't matter which one she's on. All that talent and sooooo easy on the eyes too.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Russ, you're supposed to look only at your bar.

------------------
HagFan

John Drury

Post by John Drury »

I am not sure how much session work she does but Donna Hammitt-Blanton is a fine steel player. Last I knew she was a member of Whisperin Bills band.

John Drury
NTSGA #3
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

Begee Adair, keyboards
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Kris Wilkinson is a major session player in Nashville, mostly arranging and string section work, but she has done plenty of solo work on viola (check this out http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS70312041919210208&sql=R138092#APPEAR
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

.......We have to admit,the Erwin sisters from The Dixie Chicks are both great musicians,Emily on guitar,banjo and dobro and Martie plays the fiddle.
Nathalie has som steel blood in her veins......because of Daddy Lloyd(Maines)
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Kris is probably on most recordings. She's awesome! She knows her stuff as Dan mentioned.
Robert Jones

Post by Robert Jones »

Robert, Jenee is now working with Terry Clark and doing a fine job I might add. Not sure if she is doing any session work, but she has appeared on a few Cd's from various steel players. She can flat tear up that fiddle.