Beginers Age

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brendan Dunn

Post by Brendan Dunn »

I just started about a month ago at 45.
I never really even played guitar before, just drums. I have to learn to keep my right foot from tapping in time, or else I get a very choppy tremolo from the volume pedal!
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I started playing steel in 1999 when I was eighteen years old. I loved the sound of a steel guitar when I was a kid and I always wondered if I could play it. I've been playing now for five years. The Emmons I play is my first steel guitar. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
Bill Waskiewicz

Post by Bill Waskiewicz »

I am giving the pedal steel a go at age 66 working on some music theory and basic technique with Winnie's book, after a while I will take some lessons from Niel Flanz and see what happens, still working part time so that gets in the way. Good luck Larry, Bill Image
Jeb Baldwin

Post by Jeb Baldwin »

I started playing a sraight steel at the age of nine. I have been playing a pedal steel '' Fender 400'' for almost 2 years, and I learn somthing new every day. It is my most favorite thing to do. I am now 24 years old and saving for a D-10.

------------------
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Yeah, beginners certainly do age. I've been playing for 30 years and already have a gray beard.

C#
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Hey Bill W, you'll learn a lot from Neil - what a great resource to have in your part of the world.

I started in my mid twenties, twenty-something years ago......
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Started with a T8 at age 55.
Started playing guitar when I was 14.
Now starting on PSG U12S
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

I started playing steel at age 17 on an eight string National(with a C6 tuning).

I'll be 21 next month.

Chris Scruggs
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

I started on E9 about four years ago at the age of 34, and i still feel like a beginner! And to make things harder i started learning C6 this august. I can't play it yet, but it sounds cool anyway. Image

Uffe
Jim Hankins

Post by Jim Hankins »

I am 47 , and "messed around" with a shobud 3&1 (not a maverick though) that I finally got in good working order, for about a year, until this last march I got a Carter U12. Through out that time I found the Scotty`s Mel Bay book (for 99 cents at a used book store no less!) and found that HIGHLY useful to get my feet wet on a load of framiliar songs. Then I supplemented that with TAB found through here, and now, since I have U12, have learned some C6 style through B. Emmons swing series TAB ie: satin doll, sunny side of the street, and even deep purple, the last cut of which (by Buddy on his swing series) really inspired me to really try to play. Buddy`s Christmas Album TAb is relatively easy to sink your teeth into, (mostly E9) in my limited humble opinion.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

My dad built me a six string when I was 10, that was in 1963.

Emmons SD-10, Dekley S-10, NV400
Dylan Schorer

Post by Dylan Schorer »

I'm 34 and started playing last year. I keep feeling like I'm getting too late of a start to get where I want to be.

I've been playing guitar for 19 years, and lapsteel for a few years.
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

I started in '99 and have been practicing for over 4 years now. Just when I'll actually be able to "play" the thing, I dunno! Image

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?</font>

Ben Slaughter

Post by Ben Slaughter »

Started PSG about a year ago+, am 25 now. Started on guitar at 12, but didn't get serious until about 19.
Tim Fleming

Post by Tim Fleming »

It's been 14 years since I began at age 36. I turned 50 last month and am still a beginner.

It took about a year to make music on the thing and although I play it well enough to gig, I'm still in awe of the possibilities that lie ahead.

Tim in Pasadena, CA
Glyn Bone

Post by Glyn Bone »

WOW!! am I ever in good company?....started playing age 50..played for about five years then gave it up ( along with everything else in life) my new wife Chris encouraged me this year to get back into it......so..at age 63 and a bit I am back on the beginners trail and loving it..Chris even got me the Just Jammin tracks for my b/day in Sept. now i have a band to practice with Image

Three Cheers for `Grey Power` hehehehe

Glyndwr
Glyn Bone

Post by Glyn Bone »

WOW!!!!! am I ever in good company.....I began playing ( ?) PSG at age 50...played for about 5 years then gave it up ( along with everything else in life)....got married again this year and new wife Chris. encouraged me to get back into it again......so....at age 63 ans some I am back on the beginners trail again and enjoying it .....Chris even got me the `Just Jammin` CDs so now I have a band to play with as well Image

Three Cheers for `Grey Power` Image

Glyndwr
Gary Stewart

Post by Gary Stewart »

Been playing steel guitar since I was 9 years old, now 66 and still love the sound of the steel.
Emmons LeGrande
Peavey Session 500

------------------
Don't take life to seriously, you can't get out of it alive anyways

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gary Stewart on 29 November 2003 at 09:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Our grandson Austin started picking when he was 5. He is now 9. We think he is doing great. Papa has been very good with him. J.Roller, B. Grantham, W. Smith, L. Hallford and many local players have been very encourging to Austin. I'm sure I have left someone out, but to all we thank you for the help and encourgment that you have given to Austin. He has gotten to play at several conventions and for that we are thankfull. Austin doesn't talk much, but he never gets nervous behind the steel. He has a lot to learn and hopefully a long time to learn it in. Donna ( Meme )
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I started at age 7, early 1940's. Acquired my Fender triple-8 in early 1950's; the Bigsby quad with pedals in 1956; Emmons std.
dbl-10 8 + 4 in 1972; and now, Rickenbachers both six and seven strings; Shot Jackson Fry Pan;etc. I learn something NEW every day.
I'm now 67 and cannot speed pick but am happy playing what/how I do play. If isn't worth struggling to learn, it ain't worth your time.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Excuse me if I seem to be very proud...because I am! You see, I have been teaching SENIORS ONLY for the past 10 years. My students are as young as 55 while my oldest was 85 when he passed on. I have 42 students registered this semester at the local senior rec center where I teach. Of that number, 18 are playing steel guitar, and 24 are playing ukulele. They are a real fun and eager bunch to teach. We have done 3 concerts this fall/winter season for continuing care homes and hospitals. I'm darned proud of every one of them! You are NEVER to old to learn... Image Image
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I started when I was 23, about 30 years ago.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I started on a Wooden accoustic guitar at age 13, in 1934. Many , many guitars later, still playing......al Image Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Got my first guitar at age 11 in 1958 played my first paying gig(surf music)in 1962 at age 15. Picked up steel at age 25 in 1972 and started gigging immediatly. No matter what others say,31 years later I still feel like a rank beginner - I guess because I know where all the skeletons are buried. -MJ-
Ron Shepard

Post by Ron Shepard »

I began playing steel at age 29.