Titanium/aluminum guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

chas smith

Titanium/aluminum guitar

Post by chas smith »

A couple years ago, I wanted a guitar that could bolt onto the side of Guitarzilla, that would have a kindof diatonic tuning and a 25 1/2" scale. I had some titanium tubing, a dozen tuning keys and some aluminum:
Joe Delaronde

Post by Joe Delaronde »

Chas
Super nice job. That's clean looking. I like the tube idea. Excellent!

Very nice machine work. What are the two knobs under the pickup?

Joe
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 06 July 2005 at 07:01 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Too cool, Chas. Can you try to describe its sonic properties?
Bill Bosler

Post by Bill Bosler »

Chas - Very nice job! Nice looking welds. Looks like you've had some experience building race car chassis.
What tuning did you end up using? The string gauges look fairly light.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Image Image Image

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's House of Gauss</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>

Michael Aspinwall

Post by Michael Aspinwall »

That is THE coolest thing I have EVER seen!!
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Chas,

Work of that calibre should "always" be applauded. I look forward with great interest to the musical and mechanical reports and dialogue this instrument and discussion chain is sure to generate. Sure looks like great work to me. Image

Thanks a mil for sharing your work.

Aloha,
DT~
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 07 July 2005 at 03:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jackie Anderson

Post by Jackie Anderson »

More!
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Too beautiful.
My favorite is still the blue 6-string bass.
A lifetime of collecting little machined bits pays off.
Howard Clark

Post by Howard Clark »

It might be a lap steel, but it looks like sculpture to me. The concept, design, workmanship, as well as your photography, are exquisite. MOMA should do an exhibition of your work.
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Something tells me this will still be here when all other life on earth is gone.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Gentlemen, thank you.
Joe, the knobs are basically tone and tone.
Jon, sonic properties, well, it's a little bright and it doesn't have the "I-used-to-be-a-tree" sound, but it's very musical, especially when it's bolted to the side of Guitarzilla where the titanium "soaks up" the resonance of the larger body.
Bill, as fate would have it, I did some time as an aircraft welder at one of Northrop's subcontractors. I had no idea what we were working on, other than there was a lot of titanium and inconel. The blue welds wouldn't have passed inpection, too hot. Chrome and straw were the limits. But then this thing doesn't have to go mach 2. The current tuning is, top down:
G,E,D,C,B,A,G,E,D,C,B,G.
The thing I like about this tuning is, it has either I and V or I and IV , with the relative minors, on the same fret depending on whether the key is C or G. Granted it's not a "strum" tuning, outside of art music, but then I don't strum. Actually, I did strum it for what was going to be the "Herbie sound", in the recent movie, but I don't know if it made it to the final and I wasn't going to go to the movie to find out.
Michael Whitley

Post by Michael Whitley »

I hope to hear a recording of this some day. Spruce is the primary material for guitar tops, and it has one of the highest strength-to-weight ratios of all woods. Titanium, I know, has a very high strenth-to-weight ratio in the metal family (thus it's use on jets and Mercedes wrenches). I would imagine that it would be very resonant. On a related note (no pun intended), I've got an old aluminum neck Kramer guitar, which I'll probably never sell due to it's sound, although it is a heavy b@$^@rd.