The SOUNDS of RAY PRICE are still alive

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

The SOUNDS of RAY PRICE are still alive

Post by Ray Montee »

Just got my hands on a really great western swing CD featuring that fabulous Texas steel man, (my newest discovery!) Gary Carpenter.
Have YOU heard it yet. The vocalists' name is "something" POTTER. Real Ray Price sounding.
THANKS TO TEXAS, western swing is still alive!
Great listening. Great steeling.
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

Ray,
The singer you must be talking about is CURTIS Potter. One of the very best for traditional country and western swing.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Jason........you're RIGHT!

Sorry 'bout that. My mind just went blank as I sat down to make my post.

Mighty fine singer......great swing sound
Ed Webster

Post by Ed Webster »

Skip-

Have you heard the recent "TIME" CD by RP with Buddy E on steel? It is SO great and has all the sounds of the 60's songwise and in the steel parts ALL the way thru the CD. Just great!!!!!
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

I've heard Potter sound so much like Ray Price that it was spooky.
Close your eyes and you'd think it was him. Yet on the Willie Nelson/Curtis Potter "Six Hours in Pedernales", he sounds like...Curtis.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Another GREAT VOCALIST from TEXAS is Carl Vaughn...........Great western swing sounds throughout the two CD's I just acquired. Of course, Gary Carpenter is playing his heart out on pedal steel. Enjoyable listening....great talents!
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I can't believe some of the great singers who never get a lot of recognition.Curtiss Potter is surely one. Also one of my favorites is Ray Pennington. He has a way of phrasing thats hard to beat.Of course with BE on steel it just don't get much better than that.
Bud
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I used to think that Tony Booth sounded just like Ray...sometimes even better. When I was in Nashville last year, I bought 2 CD's, thinking they would be great to have. Well, both TB CD's are burgeoning with vocal backups that totally ruin the CD's, and any enjoyment of Tony's great voice.

Once again, some misguided "pop-head" producer ruined what might have been two really "landmark" country albums, and helped another great country singer into oblivion.