GFI D8 Non-pedal Guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Keith Cordell

GFI D8 Non-pedal Guitar

Post by Keith Cordell »

I just acquired a GFI D8 in a trade. Just wanted to pass on my impressions; a few people sent me emails saying that the sound would be very "pedally"...
Well, it is, kinda. I use a tube amp, and not a lot of standard pedal steel stuff, so it is not too clean, unless I want it to be. I may yet get Jerry to make me a couple of pickups, but I am not sure yet. It has extremely hot pickups that I suspect are George L's, but I am going to play with them for a bit before I change 'em out. They seem to overdrive my delay a bit too much.
The body resonance is pretty great, and the sustain is almost eternal. Better than my Sierra, and that is saying something. It looks great, and is very solid. I have yet to decide what tuning will go on it so I am experimenting a bit. I am even considering setting it up so that I can turn on both necks at the same time, and tuning the top neck as sympathetic strings. Whaddya think?

------------------
MSA Classic 12, Peavey Delta Blues, Proco Rat, Robert Randolph - Shubb bars

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

What do I think? Sell it to me! I'm looking for one and Gene won't build anymore of them!

That's what I think!
Bobbe
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

The sympathetic strings idea is intriguing. What made you think of it? It might only work if the "sympathetic" neck had a separate output (clean)...To have both necks
going through delay, overdrive etc. could get pretty muddy...but who knows? Give it a shot, if it turns out cool I'd like to hear a sample. --Steve
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

"Pedally sounding?"

Maybe if you use a volume pedal. If you don't, it'll sound just like what it is: a nonpedal steel guitar.

I'm jealous as all get-out. I saw that in the ads and really wanted it, but I don't need two tunings, and, frankly, I've got too many steels right now.

Back when Sierra first came out with their lap steel, I contacted Gene to see if he would make me a lap steel, and he just couldn't see doing it back then. I just emailed him a month ago to see if he would customize my keyless S10 -- build an 8-string nonpedal in the pad section of my guitar, but said he just didn't have the parts to do it. That would have been too good to be true, anyway. Gave me some good dreams.

You've given me motivation to periodically email Gene to build me a single neck like yours or just get a slab of maple and make me one (I'll send you pics, Bobbe!).

Bottom line: You've got a rare guitar -- not that many made/sold. Enjoy it!

Al<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Al Terhune on 16 June 2005 at 08:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Stephan, I got the idea when I had the switch in the wrong position and was unaware of it- for a split second I thought my new cable was bad- but I could hear the neck that was on humming away to what I was playing on the main neck that was switched off. It would require a separate out, as the volume would be too low to hear otherwise. But if it was tuned to a drone that was sympathetic to my main tuning it would be quite interesting. Not sure I want to modify the guitar to do it though. I actually did some hard picking with that neck turned on just to see what kind of drive those strings would provide, and the guitar is so resonant that they just hum away. Pretty intriguing.

b0b- not today, my friend. But if I decide to part with it I'll tell you first.

If Gene built a few I am sure that they would sell, if this guitar is any indication. Very high quality, attention to detail and extremely fine tailpiece. I wish I could make something even half as nice; I'd go to market tomorrow!
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I don't suppose he's making any more of these......

Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Nice guitar, Howard! I want to convert this one to keyless, but I doubt I can afford it. I have already decided to get the pickups replaced with Truetones; I want to cool the output volume a bit and the George L's in there are HOT.

------------------
GFI D8 Non-Pedal, Peavey Delta Blues, Goodrich H10K VP, Modded Vox V-847, Ibanez DD1000 Digital Delay, Dunlop Lap Dawg bar

Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

Howard,
Why don't you pack that GFI,,drive to Bar Harbour, Maine,,,get on the CAT and come across to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Wolfville is a short beautiful drive from there.
I'll put you up and feed you. If you have a wife,,,bring her along too. Nova Scotia is wonderful in the summer if it doesn't rain.
I would love to work with that instrument for
several months and record with it. I don't want to buy it. (I know,,it's not for sale.)
I'll ship it back to you I promise.
Hellloooooo,,,I'm dreaming again.
You are a lucky so and so. Beautiful instrument!
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Howard if I had that invite I'd go for it- Nova Scotia in the summer is enough to make a die hard atheist whisper a prayer of thanks... I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours there once. It'll change your life.

------------------
GFI D8 Non-Pedal, Peavey Delta Blues, Goodrich H10K VP, Modded Vox V-847, Ibanez DD1000 Digital Delay, Dunlop Lap Dawg bar

Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

If you look closely at Howard's D8 you will
note that it is not only a keyless model but also the top neck is fretted for Thumbs
Carllile style playing ,,,,ie,,, no bar.
I wonder what tuning Gene uses on his fretted steels? I expected that neck would be 6 string and tuned like a standard guitar?
A unique instrument indeed!
Howard, can you enlighten please?
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>You are a lucky so and so</SMALL>

One man's ceiling is another man's floor....I may be lucky in the material things dept. but your talent, ability, and tone is anything but a matter of luck.

I'd give my steels away to have what you have.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Roy, Gene Fields built this non pedal steel for himself. He played it for awhile but preferred his pedal model of this guitar. You have to see some of his personal guitars. He really is a genius.

The standard neck is 8 string in G tuning. That's what Gene plays on this neck.

<SMALL>If you have a wife,,,bring her along too</SMALL>

Your invite sounds very enticing. Heck, I might even get married just to take you up on it! Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 18 June 2005 at 07:27 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

Image Sorry Howard.
Your day will come. Don't give up. Image
I have read a lot about Gene but never heard
his playing. It would be interesting to hear
him do an instrumental where he switches from the Steel Neck to the Standard Neck.
Is such a recording out there?
My son Derek just returned from Charlotte,NC and stayed over in Boston. From there it was 6hrs to Barr Hbr. He tells me it would be 9hrs from NY. The Cat trip to Yarmouth is 3hrs. Then 3hrs to Wolfville.
If you ever decide on the trip let me know. Image
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 18 June 2005 at 10:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Roy, my day came & went & I can't even find the T shirt! Image

But no, I don't give up. I enjoy steel guitar, music, and the people involved. Everyone in their own capacity. No regrets.

I have no doubt the trip to your neck of the woods would be an amazing experience. I just don't have the luxury of time, at this point in time, however, I've been thinking....a dangerous thing for me.

This steel in your hands benefits everyone more than this steel sitting in my living room, so here's my offer; I would like to ship it to you. You can work with it for several months and record with it. In return, I would ask you to prepare a lesson for me. I think you can guess that it would be "Troublant Bolero" on steel.

Disclaimer:

This offer is good for 20 years. Void where prohibited.

Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

Matter is under advisement.
That's a nice proposal!
I will be in touch with you by email,
and it won't take 20 years.
I've already got your (Django) CD out again. Image
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 18 June 2005 at 11:03 AM.]</p></FONT>
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Hey Keith! That GFI sure looks sweet. But isn't there a small voice, deep down inside, crying out for the Sierra S-8? Now, that was a sweet ride!.....Good luck on your GFI, it should be a good one. Image
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Yeah some part of me is still kicking myself for letting it go. I'll get another one eventually.
Garland Nash

Post by Garland Nash »

Hi Keith If you decide to part with your G.F. I. let me know I just live around the corner from you . Give me a call some time 678 442 0649 I live in Lawrenceville Garland Nash