Blind steelers

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Hap Young

Blind steelers

Post by Hap Young »

How many blind steel players do you know?
I receintely had an expierence that just blew me away. There is an eleven year old boy that goes to my church,( he is the drummer in our praise group). Every time That I bring my steel to church to play he is touching it all over to (see) what it looks like. He loves the sound of the instrument. He wanted to come over to my house so that he could play it. So I invited him and his Dad to come over. They came..and within fifteen min. he knew what the first three pedals did. His Dad ( a guitar player) said Jonathan, give me an Am and they started to play a song that we do in church. He went from the Am to the major and without me telling him to move up two frets without pedals .He did. Man it took me a month to figure that out. I think that this kid could learn to play even though he is handicaped ( i think).. I told his Dad to get him a steel but that is financially out of the question right now. Does anyone know a blind steeler, and is it possible for a blind person to learn? I think if anyone could it would be Jonathan.....
Tony LaCroix

Post by Tony LaCroix »

That's a neat story, Hap. I was just thinking that a blind person could probably play steel well. Intonation is a function of hearing, rather that seeing (as I am learning the hard way). Maybe looking at the thing is just getting in the way, anyways.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Hap Young

Post by Hap Young »

Thanks crow bear for the thread you sent me. It appears that it is quite possible to become a profiscent steel player even if you are blind. Well I guess I'll have to pray in a steel for Jonathan to learn on. I forgot to mention that he also playes the keyboard and he playes his dads guitar laying it on the floor in front of him and playing with his fingers on top. He does a prety good job too.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Hap, call Herb Remington in Houston. 713-923-8435. Herb taught a blind player named Ernie Bumstead who went on to a professional career. Herb created a homemade fretboard extension that simply had nail heads at all the frets. Ernie could feel the nail heads with the tip of his bar hand to know where he was on the neck.

Herb tried to interest the Lighthouse for the Blind organization in his idea but wasn't able to get their interest. I'm sure he'd be willing to explain exactly how he set up the guitar. Good luck!
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

hey my old friend...how are you doing...i have a idea...if you could help them find a maverick for this child...there not expensive...if you can...i'll restore it and make sure it's all pretty for him and working properly and ship it back to you at my expence if you want...i would like to help out my friend if i can...(ya old fart)

your buddy in canada
wayne brown
c/o out west pac-seats
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Neil Livingston from Spokane is an exceptionally fine pedal steel man. His CD's are sold on eBay quite frequently. A really nice fellow to know and talk music with. Find one of his for a great listen!
Hap Young

Post by Hap Young »

Hey guys , Thanks for ALL your responses. Wayne, Thanks for the offer to repair or tune up a used guitar for me . If I get my hands on a guitar that would be suitable i'll take you up on that proposal. Maybe someone out there has one in thier closet or under the bed that they would like to get rid of. If so, let me or wayne know, I know that Jonathan would sure be happy. If things work out we surely could get a hold of Herb and ask about that fretboard. That sounds like a good idea to me.
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Hap, No doubt in my mind that he could play a steel! I would readily agree to make a contribution towards purchasing this young man an instrument.I'd like to see him get at least a sgl 10 and really like to see him get a dbl 10. We should be able to get him a good one for 1,000. or 1,500. No junkers or starters.The real thing that he can move right on forward without needing an update.
I'll contribute $100. toward this. Anyone else care to contribute? regards, fred
George Wixon

Post by George Wixon »

Hap,
I have a Maverick here that you can have for free if you like. Its in good condition as it's been played all of about 2 months total from the day I got it back in the 70's. The case is also in good condition. If you would like me to I can set it up quick and take few pics of it for you.
George
Ralph H. Moorehead

Post by Ralph H. Moorehead »

I remember the Late Eddie Bush used to tell me to practice with my eyes closed. Eddie did from time to tme. He seemed worried thathe might lose his sight but by practicing with his eyes closed he would still be able t play and though he never lost his sight he could play with his eys closed very well as aleways
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

I sold a few years ago my old MSA to a blind girl, I'm also started to teach her with a "nailed" Fretboard, but after the third lesson.... I was more out of tune then she ever will be..... That was one of my life time lesson.... listen.... not watching!!!
;-)
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

A few years ago, Bobby Ingano's good friend, multi instrumentalist Shawn Ishimoto(formerly BB Shawn) played steel with Bobby at the Halekulani during steel guitar week. He played very well. Considering that Shawn had only touched the steel for the first time THAT WEEK, I found it rather amazing.