Hall of Fame? What about Sonny Garrish?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bobbe Seymour

Hall of Fame? What about Sonny Garrish?

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Possibly the most recorded steel player so far? Works several sessions a day, every day but Sunday, He plays in church then. He and Weldon set the standard for steel guitar with Bill Anderson. He's the king of arrangments,leading sessions, inovations. By far the most modest steel player in the world for what he has done. And this is by far! Ever see him bragging on the forum? No! Ever see him touting his wares or pushing some product? No, Ever see him endorsing some brand of steel guitar, amp, strings etc? No. He just goes to work everyday, playing on session after session and doing the best job possible with a garrentee to evey producer that if they find something wrong on the track, he'll fix it free, no matter who is to blame.

I know of no one that even starts to come close to the qualifications of this great player, he has to be in line for the "Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. Thousands of sessions, hundreds of road dates. What does it take anyway? Look at some of the guys in the SGHOF, I've never heard of some of them and I've spent a lifetime in this business. Sonny? He's always on the radio, never a spot of controversy in his past, loved by all that know him. Highly praised by all his fellow studio players, of all instruments.

Why not?
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Bobbe, I have to agree with this idea 100%! He and Weldon are the ones that really got me hooked on steel to begin with.

The only things I could think of that might hurt his nomination are:

1) He does not participate in steel shows.
2) He does not have any instruction courses.

I guarantee if Scotty announced that Sonny was on the ISGC schedule that there would be a lot of excitement from a lot of players. Maybe one day he will...

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+7 #2441D

Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I agree with both of you! I love his playing
and I can't get enough of it!

Tony
joe long

Post by joe long »

In as much as I would love to see Sonny playing at St. Louis that should not be part of the criteria for anyones nomination into the HOF. There have been other player inducted who did not play on the shows. Sonny Garrish would be an outstanding inductee.
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Absolutely. Image
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

SONNY!SONNY!SONNY!SONNY!!
Ronald Riddle

Post by Ronald Riddle »

Bobbe
Iam sure that there are a few artist that are doing a bit of studio work that the newer steel guitar audiances do not know.But should you ask these artists to play at a few conventions I would probably say they in turn would say, I do not have the time.
Several names come to my attention.I am sure you know several also.
Ron Riddle
George Plemons

Post by George Plemons »

No Doubt, Sonny belongs.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

My 3 votes would be:
Sonny Garrish
Maurice Anderson
Julian Tharpe
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I have always wondered why Sonny Garrish is not in the Hall Of Fame. He has played for years on countless records and has a unique sound and style. Only the Lord knows how many gospel projects he has recorded on. Like it has been stated before, he does not play any shows or have any courses on the market and that may have some effect on his nomination. I would love to see and hear him live but he may not feel as comfortable in a live setting as well as a studio. Those that have recorded realize it is different doing studio work compared to playing to a group of steel players. Regardless of why Sonny is not in the Hall Of Fame, he is indeed a great steel player and I understand he is a great person as well. If I were voting I surely would have to vote him in.
John Cox

Post by John Cox »

Sonny has my vote!!!!
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Maybe there needs to be another award -- like the "People's Choice" Awards ("Steel Players Choice" Awards) for the players and fans of steel guitar to have a voice to vote?! Still think there should be an award for the builders of the steel guitar etc...just a thought
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Has Bobbe Seymour ever been nominated? Why did it take Jeff Newman so long to get in? Bobbe you are dead center about Sonny Garrish. And If Johnny Bonvillian doesn't make it in by the end of the decade I think I'll set fire to my steel.
What about Bobby Black? Strange organization!
My 2 cents.

John Drury
NTSGA #3
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Amen, Bobbe
slick

Post by slick »

Amen,Reggie

Wayne
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

One "most extrodinary" man in every way.
Super high morals. Don't see that much anymore.
And one "most amazing" steel guitarist.
Please allow me to vote more than once for this man. Evelyn
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Is it Sonny playing anywhere in Nashville that we can go and see him?

------------------
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Yes, Sonny Garrish really does belong in the SGHOF. I say he should be in there and so does Reece Anderson, Julian THarpe, along with Jay Dee Maness, Bobby Black, Sneaky Pete and Bobbe Seymour. I'd bet surely one of them will make it this year.

GOD Bless you all!

Woody
Rev. 12:11
Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

Sonny Garrish with a "hit"? Do these count?:
1) he split the steel guitar work with Dan Dugmore on the latest Kenny Chesney CD "no shirt no shoes no service"(like or hate Chesney, his last CD pumped out a half dozen hits)-- also the incredible break on "she got it all" from older chesney cd.
2) most of Billy Ray Cyrus' music (granted most country fans do NOT like Cyrus, he did pump out one of the *cough* biggest hits of the 90's-- the song that got a lot of people listening to country and was big in the line dance craze "achy breaky heart", some gave all, couldda been me etc).. definitely on some 'hits' here.
3) "honky tonk heroes (like me)" colin raye/joe diffie
4) a good number of Colin Raye hits (Garrish and Franklin both hit these)
5) ALL The Judds' hits that were not just done on accoustic guitar (Garrish also did dobro work for them ( http://www.softshoe-slim.com/lists/j/judds.html "
6) Nicolette Larson's hits of the 80's etc
7) "No One will Ever KNow" and "One too many times"
by Gene Watson
8) a few TIm McGraw 'hits' (split work with Franklin, not sure which was which, but all the same, he's on a number of them)
9) A good number of Hank Williams Jr's hits from the '80s
10) Shania Twain's first album.
11) The Kinley's hits from mid 1990's

I'm sure there are a LOT more, but these are the first few examples I could find in my searches. I found his work on a LOT of 'not as popular' recordings as well.... but if he would need a 'hit' to make it to the hall of fame, then there are examples out there....

Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

I agree, I know I've seen his name on mroe works than this (not to mention all the work on stuff that does NOT hit the mainstream)... my list was a 10 minute web search for his name... the first 3 pages out of 20 some pages worth of matches....
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Bobbe-you are so right. Sonny Garrish is another one to be nominated to the SGHOF...al Image

------------------
[url=http://www.cmedic.net/~almarcu ... ~almarcus/ [/url]

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Alot more! Sonny Garrish is way over do as well!
Theresa
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

This is the first time Theresa and I have ever agreed on anything! Just kidding Theresa, I just appreciate your input on this. I can't believe all the e-mails I've gotten on this post from people that read but aren't members of the forum. Everyone agrees with this choice of players for the SGHOF.
This guy has done more with less recognition than anyone I know of.
I have always wanted to see Gene O'neal, and now Gary Hogue get some of this recognition also. These guys devoted 100% of there lives to steel guitar! Well, I guess all steel players should get recognition of some kind for as long as it taks to learn , opposed to the money made afterward.