The Lesser-Known Greats

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

B Bailey Brown

Post by B Bailey Brown »

Oh well, I thought I would toss in several names from my area, San Antonio TX! How about…
Randy Reinhard
Rick Price
Tommy Detamore
Denny Mathis

In reality we have quite a few players in the San Antonio area of the same caliber, but I just pulled those names out because I know that they toured with some of the major country acts years ago. I would assume that their names would be known outside of the “local” area. They are all very gifted steel guitar players.

One name I have not seen mentioned yet is “Big” Ben Keith. Not from Texas, by several thousand miles, but played for Faron Young for some years. I believe he later recorded with Neil Young, Anne Murray and others up in Canada. Defiantly a fine player.

B. Bailey Brown
KEVIN OWENS

Post by KEVIN OWENS »

Rocky Caple
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Kevin; You got any other info on Rocky ?
Like where he is now and what he's playing ?
We were talking about him someplace else on the Forum and no one had anything about him recently. A lot of us remember the name !!

Regards, Paul
Rusty Hurse

Post by Rusty Hurse »

Do not forget Lynn Owsley and Billy Robinson to this list
Rusty Hurse

Post by Rusty Hurse »

I also hve to add the name of Bobby Clements who was a great player in Longview TX when I was younger.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

At a glance, it doesn't look like anyone's mentioned Vance Terry. If HE isn't underrated, I don't know what the word means. "Brisbane Bop" by Jimmie Rivers and the Cherokees belongs in the collection of anyone who loves great steel (speaking of underrated players, there aren't many guitarists in Jimmie Rivers' league, either).

Oh yeah, also Bobbie White and Pee Wee Whitewing with Hank Thompson. Very tasty playing!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 06 November 2001 at 04:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

My apology Paul.....I don't know that one.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Bill Myrick, How could I leave Kevin off my list? Kevin used to live in Iowa almost 20 years ago and I played with him a few nights in a band. What a player! Back then he was one screaming player. He got more out of his MSA than anybody I ever knew.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

At Scotty's this past year one of my highlights was picking (lead ) with Jerry Brightman in the Fulwaka Room.

What a treat...I hope to do it again soon!

Tim Harr
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Craig--I first met Kevin at DeVere's in Indianola, Ia. and he was barely 16 then and would literally terrify you to watch him even then and ---oh yes !!!!! he improved even more so !!!!! WOW !!!!
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Bill, I know Devere's well. It was the only place to buy a new steel, in Iowa, until he retired. Small world huh? And yes, Kevin was a smokin' player even then. If I could play like him, I would give up my day job and just pick.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

justin25taylor

Post by justin25taylor »

I will second Bill Dearmore. Lets not forget Don Sowersby from Lake Belton or the swing ledgend Jimmy Grabowske

Justin
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Dan Tyack should bein this list too!
This guy has a tone to die for!
Johan
Bill Nauman

Post by Bill Nauman »

The Late Wimpy Jenkins,Jimmy Webb,Billy Poteete,Chuck Kuntz,Lee Knight,Curt Nichols,Gene Brown and many more if i could only think of them. Bill in Vegas
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

A quick footnote about Wimpy Jenkins. He played an 8 string Fender, maybe a double neck, anyway, I remember beyond a reasonable doubt that he played through a Sears Silvertone amp with no reverb and he sounded awesome! He was also an accomplished jazz guitar picker.
Gary Lee
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Shorty Messer.....where are you today Shorty?
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Johan,
I agree about Dan Image I think you should be mentioned also! You are taking steel like so many players to new heights.
The road players like Randle Currie, Wayne Dahl, Rusty Danmyer, Tim sargent, and others are the guys playing the steel live at all these shows for all ages to hear and love.
You guys need credit!
Theresa
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

One of my faves from Virginia... Mr Rudy Gabriletto, held down the steel chair for the Stringdusters at Hunter's Lodge in Centerville back in the 70's. A green Sho Bud D10 and a tone so big and round... a chord hit ya like stacked bowling balls...

Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

We can;'t forget Gary Hogue....enough said!

------------------
Bb is where it's at!

Kenneth Rollans

Post by Kenneth Rollans »

THE LATE AND GREAT ZANE BECK
RUDY OSBORNE

------------------
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Galand Nash, Wayne Flemming, the late Elmer Ridenhour, Stony Stonecipher, Keyton Roberts, Big Ben Kieth, Bob Hempker, the late Wayne Kincaide, the late Chuck Bartlett, Sonny Purdham, Phil Koontz, Slim Idaho, Joe Vincent, Johnny Siebert,the late Bob Foster, Basil[Sonny]Burnett, Jack Evans, George Edwards, the late Gene Oneal, Pepe Joe, Sidney Spiva, John Ely, Cindy Cashdollar. I could go on if I had time to think but right now I don't. I'll be back. Mike Sweeney<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Sweeney on 13 November 2001 at 11:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rusty Hurse

Post by Rusty Hurse »

I too have to say Gary Hogue is at the top of this list also along with Junior Knight they just dont get any better than those two TEXAS BOYS
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Bennie Holcomb from Denison Tx plays some of the best Western Swing single note things on C6 that I hear anywhere.

Hugh Blair from MT Vernon Tx plays some of the tastiest,smoothest things that I hear C6 or E9.He is a real gentleman and can be heard every weekend at the Mt Pleasant TX Opry.

Rusty Hurse is another good player that is not given enough recognition.Met Rusty in the 70's when he also lived in Mt Pleasant Tx.
Tom Stolaski

Post by Tom Stolaski »

Let's not forget that great Pedal Steel Guitar genius Tom Stolaski!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I'm gonna resurrect this thread for two reasons:

1) I remember Johnny Davis, who played fantastic lead guitar as well as fantastic steel guitar with Gene Davis and others in So. Cal.;

2) James O'Rafferty, AKA Jimmy Smith, who played great steel in So. Cal. when I was there, as well as being a great singer;

3) Jerry Stevenson, another great So. Cal. steel player from the 1960's, and

4) there's some new Forumites who might have some information about a) guys who are already mentioned here, or b) some others who might be mentioned.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association