About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Jason,
I always thought the steeler on "Goin' Back"
was none other than Lloyd Green. There are
no credits on the album. And "The Notorious
Byrd Brothers" came out right before or after "Sweetheart of the Rodeo", which featured both Lloyd and Jay Dee Manness. Never heard of Carl West, but then again, that is what this post is about.
FWIW, Chip
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Chip, Lloyd only played on the Nashville sessions for the 'Sweetheart' Lp in '68.
All the early steel on the Byrds material is Red Rhodes and Carl on that particular song I mentioned.
Carl was in Columia's Hollywood studios doing the Jerry Inman LP in '67 when he got the call to come in on the Byrds session which was running at the same time.
The Notorious LP is the first Byrds album I ever got, it was recorded through 1967 and into early 1968 when the group was shedding members left right and centre.

Carl used to play on Cal's Corral, and was part of Wynn Stewart's West Coast Playboys in the 1950s before Mooney and Roy Nichols came into the group.
What can I say, he worked for Fender, was on the cover of their brochue circa 1966 and he played Knotts Berry Farm and temped at the Pal' among other things as well as a stint with the original version of Jerry Inman's Individuals, etc, etc.

He also posts on the forum now and then, so if you see a Carl West add a message, then that's the guy.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey:
I just thought of somebody else - Steve Fishell (sp?) - he used to play PSG and Weissenborn with Emmylou Harris. What has happened with Mr. Steve lately?

Rob Yale
Rick Jackson

Post by Rick Jackson »

Let's not forget the great Red Rhodes, Speedy West, Les "Carrot Top " Anderson and the rest of the west coast pioneers...rj
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

I have to agree with WC, Cal Sharp is one of the best players around. We worked and roomed together for 10 yrs with Faron. Cal always played with the best of taste.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Hey, WC and Richard. When you can't play flashy you can try to make up for it by waiting for the holes and concentrating on taste and tone. You're supposed to make the singer sound good, right?

I have been compared to Buddy Emmons. They say "Man, compared to Emmons, you really suck!"

That was a wild ten yrs with Faron. Seems like another lifetime.

C#
Carl West

Post by Carl West »

Thanks Jason for the kind words. Had a great time in those days with some fine artists.

Carl West
D-10 Emmons
Carl West

Post by Carl West »

Thanks Jason for the kind words. Had a great time with some fine artists.
thanks again,

Carl West
Emmons D-10
Carl West

Post by Carl West »

Thanks Jason for the kind words. Had a great time with many fine artists. Thanks again,

Carl West
Emmons D-10
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

<SMALL>By the way I used Bobby Seamour's New spelling checker on all these famous names.</SMALL>
B.J.,Too bad it don't work for you or Bobbeeeee.
If you two guys could spell like you play you could both be in the national spelling bee and SGHF Image Image ImageRay

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

'Course, we do have a relatively "unknown" great in the Baltimore area...Curry Coster. He amazed me 25 years ago when I heard him playing the Emmon's version of Witchcraft, and he's still amazing me!

At a recent steel show, he was holdin' his own with the likes of Buddy Charleton and Ray Chilton. I think I'd be purty nervous with them guys jammin' beside me! Image
randy

Post by randy »

On the "C" neck Jack Heern, (Listen to Sweet Dreams on Rob Parker's album), and on the "E" neck listen to Butch Cornwald(sp?) do Buddy. He knocks me out every time he starts those harmonics in Way to Survive.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

I'll second the motion for Curry and lets not forget Don West. Any relation to you, Carl?
Gary Lee...........one of the lessor unknowns.....but still trying! Image
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Lest I forget, another local, James Hann, from Berryville, VA. I really like this guy cause he not only picks steel, he plays fiddle, mandolin, sax and he has a really cool solid body electric BANJO! You gotta love this combination! The banjo is like 150 year old Grand Marnier (Cuvee Speciale, 1827-1977) over white chocolate moose ice cream.
Gary Lee
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

So, Gary....

The banjo is like 150 year old Grand Marnier (Cuvee Speciale, 1827-1977) over white chocolate moose ice cream, eh?

I'll bet that baby's a real mess to play. Image

I couldn't resist that comment. Image

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steve England

Post by Steve England »

Just saw him play again last night and I just have to put Bert Rivera on that list. Jason, Bert still is playing bar room gigs in the Austin area (the same as Jimmy would still be doing if he was still with us). Lucky us.

Bobby Koefer too.

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Bobby Black, Ed Black, Al Perkins and David Wright.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Richard Sinkler on 26 October 2001 at 04:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I am seeing a lot of local heros as well as names that are actually household names in the steel guitar community and I think probably Ricky Davis has become a household name with us but I don't think he has yet received the recognition he deserves as a player and what he has contributed to the steel guitar. And he is a real friend to all of us. Another that will always be right at the top of my personal list of great players is Randy Beavers. I think in the Nashville circle he is tremendously respected but since he is not constantly in the limelight we tend to forget about him. I have a rather long list but will stop at this for now so as not to leave anyone off.
Jerry<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 22 October 2001 at 09:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

I would like to add the name of Duane Marrs to this list.
Besides being a great Steel Guitar builder he is a great picker.
Jimmy
Warren Frid

Post by Warren Frid »

And let's add Stu Basore to this illustrious listing.Just his SUPERPICKER AWARDS for his work with Dolly Parton and his many years with Kitty Wells,Ray Price,Porter,Faron etc. shouldn't be overlooked.[IMHO]
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

thanx John Macy Image
anyone hear Dave Night (aka Forehand).....LA (Rose Maddox?) & Mpls, now Riverside Ca I believe...
Break yer heart with tone & taste Image
Im gone.....
Frank
Location: West Memphis, Ar . USofA, where steeling comes natural

Post by Frank »

I`m gettin old, but wasn`t there a couple guys playing steel around Nashville named "Helms and Jackson as in Don and Shot"?
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Mike Cass and Russ Pahl. I've known both of them for years and they are both under rated steel players.

Looking from a music in general point of view, most all steel players are unknown. Sad, but true.

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Deana Clark

Post by Deana Clark »

Maybe lesser known to whole world, but definately not in Ohio, is super picker Mike Sigler.
TomP

Post by TomP »

We all have our favorites, and some are better known and more recognized by US, but to the non musician world at large (and parts of the musical world), even Buddy Emmons is a "lesser known great". Perspective. Wish it were different. but it is something to chat about. Been nice chatting with you.

------------------
-Tom www.tompowell.org