steelin sinkin feelin

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dennis Yager

steelin sinkin feelin

Post by Dennis Yager »

ImageBoys and girls...Here is warm weather and outside events of one nature or another to gig at...How many times have I played out on soft wet lawn..thunder storms loaming or attacking, no hard floor to put my beloved "little red" carter on with my pac-a-seat, nv400 or Evans HV. More times than I care to remember. I use an array of one inch boards cut to fit each piece of equipment that I pitch in back of my access cab truck anytime I'm in doubt of situation. Also a roll of large clear trash bags for quick coverage when that rain starts up again. But, I have set up steel and equipment on raw ground and grass and played my heart out to dancing guest who were enjoying my sound and misery as I sank out of sight. Lets hear your story and how do you equip for hostile situation and/or foul weather and don't say "stay at home". Image

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dennis Yager on 08 May 2003 at 11:22 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dennis Yager on 08 May 2003 at 11:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

The bulk of our gigs from May through September are outside. Carpet pieces, large rolls of plastic and some sort of tarp are at my disposal. I haven't figured out how to fight of the humidity. I thinking about a stand with a small, 8-10 inch diameter fan to assist in keeping my hands dry.

Gary Lee
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

I moved to Arizona....last year we had 3-4" of rain. Image Image Image

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

<SMALL>I moved to Arizona....last year we had 3-4" of rain.</SMALL>
WHERE??????? Image
RAY

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Dennis,
You might use a piece of 1/2" plywood/osb cut to set your steel and seat on,if I were still doing outdoor gigs,I also would cut a piece of plywood for my amp with blocks of 2x4 or 4x4 under each corner to elevate from dampness.You might want to consider putting hooks on each corner for tarps,you can purchase kits at Lowes building supply to install extra rings and cut tarps to fit,also extra blocks to level your amp sounds like a good idea......

------------------
Bill Ford
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

When I used to play on carpet at home, I set up on one of those plastic, office pads that they sell at office supply places. That worked real well and actually looked gooood!
Erv