Concerning Lester "RoadHog" Moran...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jake L

Concerning Lester "RoadHog" Moran...

Post by Jake L »

I have aquired a collection of recordings by the ol' road hog, including the "Live at the Johnny Mack Brown High School" album. My question is this...none of them contain steel, and I was wondering how an artist, who obviously was an inspiration to many other performers, could not have a steel in the Cadillac Cowboys band. Was the fierce picking of Wichita enough to warrant not having one? Maybe there was steel on later recordings that I haven't heard. Any ideas?
Jake Lowe
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Jake, all I know is that when I'm in top form, I would fit right in with Wichita. He knows how to get those licks and superb tone. Just wish that they would have invited me to play live with them at the Johnny Mack Brown schoolhouse. Oh well, I'll just "keep on steelin".

------------------
Ray Qualls

John LeMaster

Post by John LeMaster »

And, keep in mind that not every guitarist can mock Check Adkins like Wichita can. That, along with the harmonies of Red and Wesley, the two young country singers, are about all that the Ol' Roadhog needs. Image

My personal favorite is "Hello Darlin'/Hello Walls".

John L.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John LeMaster on 14 April 2003 at 02:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

I understood that they did have a steel player in the early days, before they became famous. Tex was his name, and I think he was Wichita's second 0r third cousin.

Seems as though he got out of the music business after a freak accident at Burford's Barber Shop. Burford took a nick out of his ear, and when he grabbed it, he lost 3 fingers to the scissors. Shortly after that, Burford checked himself into hospital to "dry-out".

Hope this answers your question, Jake.
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

ALLLLLLLLRIGHT! "Wish hadn't a done that"
Jake L

Post by Jake L »

I don't understand why he isn't in the Hall of Fame?????
Jake Lowe
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Red and Wesley, the 2 young country singers, didn't want a steel on their WEAK FM and AM radio program. So, their steel player, Ernie Cupp, opened an egg market and got free advertising for a year. He later became mayor of Rainbow Valley: "Where the blue of night, meets the gold of the day".
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

According to a pic posted by Cal Sharp, they not only had "A" steel player, they had "THE" steel player. Sometime back he posted a pic of "Hawg" and the boys, with Emmons amongst 'em.

And remember..."It takes people like you, to make people like me". L. Moran Image

L.S.
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

Wichita was heard saying, you don't need a steel player if you can break wind, I mean bend strings, I heared he tore up on the steel guitar rags (cause he told me that were a steel guitar type tune, and said people had to look so as to see if who that were playin the steel, Wichata said there weren't none playing steel so he figured it was him doin it))....play guitar like lightnin'....fingers never hit the same spot twice
jlsmith48

Post by jlsmith48 »

I understand that Lester and his band have been nominated for CMTs Flameworthy Awards.
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

AAAAHHHHRITE!!!! Poeta Rico Baby!!

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I'd love to see those guys take an award(again) even without steel.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I heard that the Statlers 'retired' Road Hog, uncomfortable that he was becoming more popular than they were... True?
Mike Jones

Post by Mike Jones »

Lester Moran played a dobro, but I don't think he ever got the hang of pedals though. Harold bought a model 36D from me back in the 80's. He was a big Dobro fan, and they used dobro a lot on the their recording.
Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew about the complete collection CD

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001E2Z/ref=ase_bridgebooks/102-2666684-2745739

Until I bought this, I had not heard Ralph Emery interviews.

A friend of Buddy Spicher told me that Spicher caused the recording sessions of the radio shows to become long and drawn out because Buddy could not suppress his laughter, resulting in numerous retakes.

A long time ago I started a post on everyone's favooooryte Roadhog saying. I was surprised how much this forum crowd knows about these awesome recordings.

Just after the fight at the Johnny Mack Brown High School, you can hear a beer can roll across the concrete floor from the left speaker to the right.

Regards,
Terry
Terry Wendt

Post by Terry Wendt »

There is still such a wonderful magic to me in the recordings of the Statler Brothers. I close my eyes once in a while and in memory play "Do You Remember When" and "Countin' Flowers". I met one of the old bandmembers the other night and he told me that the last tenor singer is doing some gigs, but not currently using the old band that travelled with them.

------------------
PedalSteel.us Magazine

TheEarlyDays.com

and appearing regularly...aLotOfSpace.com
Jimmy Crawford/Russ Hicks... and Buddy Emmons on Bass!

Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Before they quit I never did hear who was the best looking of the two,Red Or Wesley?
Maybe we should run a contest,whoever wins(by drawing your entry)gets two free tickets for the next performance at "The Johnny Mack Brown High School Arda-toreium"

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

I saw them in concert at the Barking lot after the dog show.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Which brings us to the question: Which came first? Ernie or the Egg?
A1 large
B2 large
and they can't be 2 large!
AWWWWWWWWWLLLLright, mighty fine!!!!!!!!!!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 18 April 2003 at 06:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Scott Jackson

Post by Scott Jackson »

I didn't think anyone remembered that stuff. I laughed so hard the first time I heard it, I got cramps.
WEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL AWWWWWRIIIIIITTTTTTTEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
WHILE YOU'RE ALL ON YER FEET, WE'RE GONNA HAVE A SQUARE DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GRAB A G AN' HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!
Image Image Image Image Image

------------------
Carter Starter
Peavey 212 Chorus
Crate Vintage 50
Regal Dobro
Dad's old Mongrel Tele
G+L L1000 Bass
Peavey Bass Rig
Assorted effects,etc.
Suzuki Keyboard

"Crooked River Band"

Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Call "Wil VanHoy" at 931-723-4008. He knows Moran personally. NR
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I heard that Witchita actually played pedal steel some but didn't play on the job because he was much better on guitar. Maybe he had too much of that special tonic.