Al Jourgensen?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Melinda Dauley

Al Jourgensen?

Post by Melinda Dauley »

I was just reading an interview with the band "Reverend Horton Heat" (www.reverendhortonheat.com) and they said Al Jourgensen of the band "Ministry" is quite a steel player.
Anyone ever heard of him playing out anywhere in Texas?
Melinda

------------------
Just remember: Bi-valves can't play steel. And if they ask, just say no.
Matt Steindl

Post by Matt Steindl »

Used to know Al back in Chicago. Dont know anything about him playing steel. Hope he is doing well, as he was a pretty sick puppy for a while.

Just did a web search, and he does play PSG, but would imagine that it sounds pretty muchunlike anything that we have ever heard.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Brian Wetzstein

Post by Brian Wetzstein »

wow. I had no idea that he played steel. I was a big ministry fan a decade ago. even saw them in concert a few times... If you know any of his steel work point me in the right direction!
Hi to you both.
Brian in seattle.
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

WOW! I had no idea also...Al and Ministry went through some MAJOR changes. They started in Chicago as a dance band and then turned into an Industrial metal band and I would not put it past Al Jourgensan to play steel. He was always pushing creative limits.

Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

I think that Al played one track on The Reverend Horton Heat's "Liquor in the Front..." (sorry about the title but that's really the title!) called "Liquor, Beer and Wine".
He produced two albums for them "Liquor..." And another called "Space Heater".
They are both great albums. Check them out!
Melinda

------------------
Just remember: Bi-valves can't play steel. And if they ask, just say no.
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

I haven't seen Al for a couple years now but I know he had an Emmons and was playing some in the late 90's. He has always been a big fan of Mooney and Brumley and would play Buck Owen's greatest hits over and over on the tour bus. He always talked about starting a country band sometime.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

It was evident at a Ministry show a few years back by Pearl Harbor/Honolulu that Al not only likes his hard core country music, but has a fine sense of humor too. As the show started, and before the band took the stage, 4 Hank Williams songs(with steel) were played repeatedly for an hour and a half. Few appreciated this, I was one of the happy few. When the band finally hit the stage, the aggravated crowd was more than ready for what Al and the boys dish up. Ministry did not disappoint, and a good time was had by all. The new CD has them back in true form, but no steel.

------------------
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

I was talking with T.C.Furlong a few
years ago and he mentioned that Al's manager
had called him about giving Al some lessons on PSG. Didn't hear any more about it, so I don't know. Guess I'll have to call him up and find out.