Top 5

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lawrence Lupkin

Top 5

Post by Lawrence Lupkin »

As a new player, I'd like to take a quick poll. Pick 5 country albums that are not necessary pedal steel albums, but feature excellent steel on a good portion of the tunes. I have a long commute and want to fill up my CD changer. I really want to work on phrasing within a song setting as well as picking up a lick or to. I have been listening to Paul Franklin's work on Alan Jackson's Greatist Hits. In fact, if I don't get some more stuff, I'm going to wear a hole right through the CD! Thanks in advance for your replies.
Tony Harris

Post by Tony Harris »

Try Brad Paisley's two albums. Excellent steel from Mike Johnson. Guitar pickin's the best, too!
Val Gethers

Post by Val Gethers »

Daryle Singletary"s "That's Why I Sing This Way"
Sidney Malone

Post by Sidney Malone »

Well off the top of my head:
Just about any of the Greatest Hits of people like Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Paycheck, Gary Stewart, Moe Bandy and many more that I'm not thinking of.

Waylon had a lot of steel in a somewhat different style when Ralph Mooney was playing for him, some really great stuff.

I'm sure you'll get many more great suggestions!!
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Lawrence,
Here's what I'd pick if available to you.

(1)....Ray Price's Nitelife album featuring Buddy Emmons.

(2)....Ray Price's Cherokee Cowboys Reunited also featuring BE.

(3)....Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke & the Outlaws featuring steel by a great player unknown to me.

(4)....Any old Buck Owens, Wynn Stewart, or Merle Haggard album featuring Ralph Mooney.

(5)....The Osborne Brothers album "From Rocky Top to Muddy Bottom" featuring BE.

Have a good 'un, Jerry H.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

By ALL means, get Ray Price's new CD featuring BE titled "Time". Some of the most beautiful I have EVER heard Buddy do. Plus the entire CD is awesomely beautiful. Buddy's tone has never been better IMO.

I play it for hours sometimes while on my computer. I am in awe as to how he is able to get that tone. Simply incredible. Beg, borrow or steal this CD if you want to sit back and enjoy one of the finest (if not THE finest) country music CD ever.

It is no longer available, but if you can find a copy of Roger Miller's "A trip in the Country", you will be thrilled with BE's on this recording. He is on every tune. And thankfully this is a rare "UN Roger Miller" type of album.

NO dang me or other such fadish novelity tunes. Just plain good ole country music from the soul. If Roger had pursued a career doing stuff like on this album, I feel he would have been twice as popular as he was.

May God rest his soul,

carl
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

To listen to some superb "commercial" type steel, get Highways and Heartaches by Ricky Skaggs and listen carefully to Bruce Bouton and the incomparable Lloyd Green.
Lawrence Lupkin

I have Bruce Bouton playing with The Mavericks. I enjoy the style. With who else can I find him?
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

Gene Watson CDs always have great steel parts on them.

Ken
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Lawerence,
I just heard Garth's new single. Bruce is on all his recordings. Image

Joe Nickols, Blake Sheldon are a couple more with nice steel. I saw a new artist on MWL, Jimmy Wayne "Baby Just Stay Gone" something like that is his new single. Nice steelguitar work! Have Fun listening and learning! Image Theresa<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 04 March 2003 at 10:38 AM.]</p></FONT>
Val Gethers

Post by Val Gethers »

if you can find a copy of Winnie Winston's book, he has a page and a half dedicated to great steel playing. Vocal albums and instrumentals both. Lot's of great playing.
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Carl I think you are right on the money.....as usual. Image
Roger Miller wrote some great Country tunes, I listen to that album all the time, while driving. Image
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

my $.02 in no particular order- I think most of these are actually available on CD, unlike some of the previously mentioned items (like the Roger Miller)

"Diamonds and Dirt" Rodney Crowell- Paul Franklin channeling Ralph Mooney on several cuts

"Christmas Sounds of the Steel Guitar" a Buddy Emmons' Masterwork . See buddy's website for availability

"The Real Mr Heartache-the Little Darlin' Sessions" Johnny Paycheck - mainly Lloyd Green, but Sonny Curtis is in the mix too. Country Music Foundation reissue

"Buck Owens and His Buckaroos - Carnegie Hall Concert" Tom Brumley in action. Sundazed reissue

Golden Steel Guitar Hits/Steel And Strings- Jimmy Day (Bear Family reissue) simply classic steel
Pete Ballard

Post by Pete Ballard »

My top 5 (this week):

Willie Nelson - "Shotgun Willie" (Jimmy Day)
Ray Price - "Night Life" (Emmons, Day)
Charley Pride - "In Person" (Lloyd Green)
Gram Parsons - "Live 1973" (Neil Flanz)
Buck Owens - "Together Again" (Tom Brumley)
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Lawrence, I do not know if you would consider it a country album or not but " Mark O'Connor And The New Nashville Cats" is a great album. It has Paul Franklin and Sonny Garrish along with several great musicians. It also features Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill and Steve Warner on vocals. A great album to have in your collection IMO...Paul
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Jerry - I believe the steel player on a lot of Frenchie Burke's things was Robbie Springfield. Best, Boomer
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Not in print, but available on e-bay and in collector's shops, you can find my favorite! It's Ernest Tubb's album "My Pick Of The Hits". Ten songs, all flawlessly executed by Buddy Charleton. You may not like Tubb's singing, but backup stuff doesn't get any better than this, IMHO.
Lawrence Lupkin

Geez...I'm going to have to get a bigger C.D. changer. Thanks for all of your replies. Keep 'em coming.
Mike Winfield

Post by Mike Winfield »

Lawrence,
One of my favorites is "The Key" CD by Vince Gill. John Hughey plays some really tasty stuff and two of the songs (Don't Come Crying To Me and Kindly Keep It Country) are tabbed out on Ricky Davis' Rebel Steel site.Lots of fun to learn and play along with.
Mike
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

There are some as good but none any better than Mel Street's "Greatest Hits. regards,fred
JamesMCross

Post by JamesMCross »

I have these 5 cd's (at least) in my changer for the trip to Dallas tomorrow, from Houston:

Honky Tonk Neon Nights - Big John Mills, with Robby Springfield and Tommy Detamore on steel

Green Snakes - Johnny Bush, with several great steel players

Rumor Town - Clay Blaker, w/ Tommy Detamore on steel

Welcome to the Wasteland - Clay Blaker, TD again

The Other Woman - Ray Price, w/Buddy Emmons

And about 15 others, Asleep at the Wheel live, Johan Jansen, Martina McBride's Evolution, etc.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Doug Sahm "The Return of Wayne Douglas" I believe is the name of the CD, his last one before he passed away. Tommy Detamore plays about every essential country lick you could want to hear IMHO, and he plays them perfectly.

Also Lloyd Green "Reflections"
Red Kilby

Post by Red Kilby »

Charley Pride "In Person" Live at Panther Hall, Ft. Worth Tx.

Steel Player= "Mr. Nashville Sound" LLOYD GREEN.

This is my favorite album of all time.