Video Instruction

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

is the major cost in the actual conversion of the video to DVD format, or is it in the duplication aspect of it?
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Paul,

Not knowing the particulars of the situation, I don't know how practical this would be, but -- maybe you could release only the first video on VHS and see how many sell over the course of a certain period of time. That way, you might be able to gauge better the probable level of sales for subsequent releases. Then you'd have a better idea of whether the DVD format would be economically viable.
Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

Paul, I work for one of the biggest retailers of guitar instructional videos in the U.S. Our sales run between 50-50 to 70-30 vhs to dvds. We try to double inventory both when we can. There are still some things available in one format but not the other. our suppliers tell us that once an afordable dvd recorder for the home hits the market the vcr will be a thing of the past.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<SMALL>our suppliers tell us that once an afordable dvd recorder for the home hits the market the vcr will be a thing of the past.</SMALL>
Well, they're available for $79 now. How much lower do they want, fercryinoutloud? Same price as a cheap VCR.
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Heck, I just saw an ad for a DVD player for $62! I don't know how good it is, but that's about what you'd pay for a two-DVD instruction set . . . . fercryinoutloud!! Image
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

DVD for me. I don't have DVD player but would buy one. Maybe Paul can raise the price of the DVD's and throw in a free DVD player. Image

------------------
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

I heard that the government gives DVD players away for free in Canada Image
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

I'll buy the product regardless of the format but will select DVD or CD if available.
<SMALL>I heard that the government gives DVD players away for free in Canada</SMALL>
Not in this part of the country!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Jim

Those are simply DVD-players - when DVD RECORDERS arrive, that's when the VCR will become obsolete.

I've been looking at a DVD/cd 'Home Cinema' type of set-up, and some people have suggested that I wait, because it won't be long before actual recorders are available.

Still, $79 for a player will hardly break the bank, and I may get one as a stop-gap.

Oh, DVD for me, please, Paul - or did I say that already?

------------------
Roger Rettig
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Roger,
DVD recorders have been readily available for some time, albeit expensive. The prices have recently dropped below $500 for some models -- and will drop further. Just go to an electronics distributor like http://www.crutchfield.com to see what's available.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 05 March 2003 at 07:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

I wonder, how much more influential the opinions on here would be if we all who reqeusted DVD would be willing to put up the $$ or at least a 'deposit' on one of the DVDs in advance... As long as the instructional DVD wouldnt be TOO far out of reach ($30-50, cool, $300-500, don't think I could handle that *laugh*). Just a thought.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Don't get mixed up here on the difference between "recorder" and player". I'm assuming that these $69. DVD's are players, not recorders, correct?
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

You bet, John
The recorders are $500+(US) -- BUT that's a bunch better than they were even 6 mos ago

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks, Larry

I guess what my informants meant was that the prices for DVD-recorders are dropping all the time, and that a little patience might be rewarded - I had misunderstood.

RR
Tony Orth

Post by Tony Orth »

Paul,

Since most of your target "audience" is composed of baby boomers and above, I would recommend the VHS format initially, but you will want to follow up with DVD within a year to catch everyone else.

I don't know what the financial variables are, but I hope you can do both.

Best wishes
Tony
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Thanks again to everyone. There are so many great ideas on this subject. I hope to go to the manufacturer in the next few weeks. I will post my resolution to this problem at that time. Thanks again!!!!!!!
Paul

Bob,

You can close this thread.