Video Instruction

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Franklin

Video Instruction

Post by Franklin »

Hello everyone,

I have just finished filming two video instruction courses and am waiting for them to be edited. Since this is my first time teaching through videos, I am curious, is there a format, DVD or VHS, that's prefered?
Thanks for your help.

Paul
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Hi, Paul.
Great news about the videos. Tell us more about what's on them!
If you're taking votes, I prefer VHS.
Cheers,
Jim
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Paul, I prefer VHS. I certainly am happy you have decided to offer some videos. Out of curosity, are they E9TH OR C6TH? Also, are there any plans for a video just with you picking? I would be interested in purchasing any video you would offer....Paul
Kenny Forbess

Post by Kenny Forbess »

Hey Paul,
What Jim said,
can't wait.
Kenny

------------------
66 Emmons D-10 bolt-on

Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

A Paul Franklin DVD - that'd be extremely fine Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I agree that VHS is still probably going to be the preferred format, though in a year or two the answer might be different.
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

VHS - At least for now...
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

VHS
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

That's great that you're putting these out Paul, you're much better looking than Newman. Image I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes, in either format.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

maybe with a bonus 8-track Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Michael Marchelya

Post by Michael Marchelya »

VHS is more popular and requires no special processing for duplication. But why not both? Or for that matter, why not CD-ROM? Much more popular than DVD, at least for now. Disc-based media is easier to segment, easier to recue and easier to replay, big advantages in training applications. Once you get the material converted, duplication costs are similar to those for VHS, and conversion costs are far cheaper than they were just a couple of years ago. There's an excellent place here in Denver with a great conversion system. It's proprietary technology, so you won't find it elsewhere. I'm new to the forum and don't know the rules so I won't post any links here. Drop an e-mail if you'd like their website info. I'd prefer CD-ROM! Good luck.
Kenny Forbess

Post by Kenny Forbess »

Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by KENNY FORBESS on 27 February 2003 at 09:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Personally, I think the DVD is best. Currently, it's unusual to purchase a new personal computer without a DVD-player included. Plus, the stand-alone DVD players (that you hook up to your TV) are getting so inexpensive now it's rediculous.

Plus, from a practical standpoint, DVD's are easier to work with than tape. You can find a certain segment a lot easier with DVD, and you don't waste any time rewinding or fast forwarding. Plus, with a DVD you can set up loops and so forth for certain segments that you may want to concentrate on.

Also, DVD's seem to be extremely popular for music instruction in general. For example, Homespun Tapes is currently in the process of converting most of their VHS offerings into DVD format which is proving to be very popular.

Plus, the new stuff isn't even offered in VHS anymore. For example (as least as far as I know), the new Tony Rice instructional video is offered only in DVD format. Image
Uwe Haegg

Post by Uwe Haegg »

Please have us overseas customers in mind when you choose media.
IMHO DVD overcomes the problems (for us)associated with the VHS NTSC format.
So - DVD, please.
When do you expect to release the videos for sale?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Uwe Haegg on 27 February 2003 at 10:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Corky Owens

Post by Corky Owens »

Hey, Paul. I don't think it will matter if it's DVD or VHS. You make it, we'll buy it. I'll take one of each, any way i can get it. Keep up the great work. Corky.

------------------
Mike Baxter

Post by Mike Baxter »

. . . and DVDs are easier to ship!
Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

My vote wuld be for DVD (or both), because I have a feeeling that a lot of us would end up wearing the VHS tape out, whereas we woudl wear out our dvd player many time over before the DVD ever failed us...

I know from experience, I've had cassetes last only a few months, where I still have CDs I bought with my first CD player 15 years ago, and they still are in fine shape...
Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Post by Ricky Littleton »

Paul:

DVD would be great! That way I can my laptop right by the guitar and me. That way the guitar can hear it better because I know I 'm getting everything right during the courses I take, but sometimes the guitar just doesn't seem to get the point!

Honestly, DVD is a great idea.

Thanks for all your help to us steelers!

Ricky

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Dan-Echo, E-Bow, Ibanez Distortion, Boss Comp./Sustain, Ibanez Auto-Wah

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

even tho' VHS seems to be the current thing
DVDs are up next and easy to send.
Make both.
Thanx Paul fer all the great Musik Image Image Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 28 February 2003 at 12:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Hi Paul,
I think , will you try to get the video to be playable worldwide, go for DVD. This way you don't have problems with PAL-SECAM things, that you have with VHS.
The problem with DVD is, that it easier can be copied, and that would be a bummer for you.
regards, Johan
(Paul, please contact me Image JJ )

------------------
Image Click on the pic!

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 28 February 2003 at 01:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Of course, don't forget that you're asking this question of people who have computers and are on-line. There's still a large percentage (maybe the largest?) of steelers who don't have computers, and don't have DVDs, etc. Chances are they do have VCRs though...
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

My thoughts as well, Jim.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

VHS for me only because I don't have a DVD. But that might give me a good excuse to buy one.
Steve Pacholl

Post by Steve Pacholl »

I would buy DVD over VHS. DVD is much better for cuing and replaying. Easier and faster.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Even though I'm not yet able to play DVDs here, I know the change is inevitable - they have a much longer life than tape, one can easily access a given section of the disc, and they're more compact.

I've already bought two James Taylor DVDs - a Paul Franklin DVD would send me scurrying to Circuit City in no time. As someone has already stated, disc-players are being almost given away these days.

I'll take Paul's advice anyway I can get it, though! Image

Roger<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 28 February 2003 at 06:12 AM.]</p></FONT>