How many of us are overweight.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I lost 70 pounds in 2001 due to a high protien, low carb diet and a daily 2 hour bicycle ride. The, as many of you recall, I had that accident last may, and was unable to excercise for 5 months. As a result I gained 30 pounds back.

Now I'm fully recovered, and have started riding again. I hope to get back where I was before the accident in a few months.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Great post-holiday topic, Mike. Rub it in, why don't ya?

I'm not overweight, just a bit under-tall.

------------------
HagFan

Vance Monday

Post by Vance Monday »

The Doctor told me I needed to lose 50 or 60 pounds so I went on a Slim fast and Vodka diet. I don't know if I am losing weight or not but now I don't care...Actually, I am finding that my steel has changed size..The e-9th neck is farther away than it used to be or my arms are getting shorter..Good luck to all on losing weight..I am going to try in 2003..
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

I'm not fat......I just have poor posture. LOL!!

Harry
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

as Tom Servo would say as a character on the screen appeared in a low angle upshot:

"I'm HUGE!!"

I intend to become less ...

image removed 'cause my ISP thinks I'm using to much web transfer...

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 04 January 2003 at 12:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I am 5' 9 and 1/2 " tall and weigh 155 lbs. Being a musician all my life, I never had enough money to buy enough food to get fat. Jody.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

6'0" 220lbs. Going to try to lose some it after that spinach dip is gone!
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Mike I am 5'10" and weigh 250 lbs. Is that overweight in California? It is not here in Texas. If you can still take a breath while you are tying your shoes you are in pretty prime shape here.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Most changes in eating habits don't work, because people don't first condition their taste buds for the change. There is so much salt, sugar, and fat in the average diet (and these are very strong flavors) that the taste buds cannot taste the subtile flavors of the nutrient-rich foods.

If you first eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut before eating steamed broccoli, your taste buds don't get really excited about the broccoli. Image

From publishing books on dieting and food, this is the most important thing that I can contribute to your new eating habits:

Go on a 24 hour fast before attempting to change your eating habits. This is easy to do,___even easier if you do it with your spouse. During this time drink only water with lemon juice squeezed in it. This will give your system, especially your taste buds, a rest and condition them for the more subtile flavors of fruits and vegetables.

After this, eating more fruits and vegetables and less of the rich stuff will be easier. And with a little exercise you will start dropping the pounds.

Steel players deserve to look good and feel good too.

Now put that cheeseburger down, give that other dozen Krispy Kreeme doughnuts to the paper boy, and put those beans in to soak. Image

Rick
Steve Benzian

Post by Steve Benzian »

There are two elements for successful weight loss:

More Exercise: Try for 30 minutes a day. Walking is good.

Eat Less: Both low fat (Ornish) and low carbohydrate (Adkins) diets will work......recent research has shown people lose more weight on the low carb diet.
You don't get very hungry on the low carb diet.

Keeping the weight off is the challenge.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

When you pick up your steel in the case, do 10 reps over your head. This plays hell with your back, but you'll lose weight.
Perry Hansen

Post by Perry Hansen »

Mike, I'm not overweight, I'm just full grown.
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

I had always heard that you gain weight when you get married. I had always been a steady 175lbs at 6'2" for most of my adult life before I got married. I got married and didn't weigh myself for several years. I went to the doctor once and got weighed several years after marriage -- 190lbs!!! The funny thing is that I look exactly the same and I wear the SAME SIZE clothes as when I weighed 175 -- at least my waist size is the same. I guess they're right - you do gain weight when you get married -- but I can't figure out where the weight is since I wear the same size clothes.(?)
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

Steve Stalings,
Thank you for the information on SUGAR. NOW if everyone will read It and try It...they will find It Is possible to keep the wieght down and still eat a good meal.

I've been there and done that. And thanks for not putting Doctor In front of your name. I feel on the Froum we're all just steel players.

Bob
Ronald Riddle

Post by Ronald Riddle »

OVERWEIGHT? Not until yopu get ringaround the collar on the outside.
Ron Riddle
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

I think our problem is we all drive every where we go. People one time walked every where they went,

Heard a Dr. say stop eating white bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, and your health would improve, your weight would drop
I am 5ft 8, go about 160, Too much.

R. L.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

5'5" 160

I run an average of 15 miles each week and three days a week I am doing at least 40 minutes of sustained Muscle Strength/Endurance exercise...I have to it is my job... I am a soldier

Good Topic...

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8 & 9 - Troy Cook & the Long Haul Band

Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

5'11" approx. 280lbs 18" arms, 18.5" neck, 17.5" calves (one measurement of good proportion is if your neck, biceps and calves are the same size)

Waist size? I do not have a long of measuring tape! Image We won't comment on waist size, at this time.

Basically, I need to lose 60lbs of fat. This thread has encouraged me to once again work hard to minimize my sugar intake. Actually, our (the US) sugar intake (approx. 149lbs per year each) is destroying us all. Corn syrup is in nearly everything!

This, from a recovering, although not completely cured, "chocoholic."

In addition to my excessive sugar intake over the years (ex. hot chocolate mix in my coffee and dunking frosted mini-wheats, donuts or whatever was available), I would eat a pasta lunch nearly every day.

Why? Because I read how complex carbs were legal in those muscle mags because it takes the body longer to process those complex carbs than it does simple sugars.

The thing they did not tell us or we failed to recognize is that many of those bodybuilders are on "the juice" (steroids) and they can stay in the gym for hours and need those complex carbs for fuel. Those of us not on "the juice" and are only lifting weights for an hour, 3 to 5 times a week do not need that much fuel.

When Arnold and those guys got ready for a contest, they really cut out the carbs to reduce their body fat levels. I don't recommend doing the other things they did...very dangerous.

I bought one of those Gazelles (looks like a ski machine rasied off the ground) and use it for 30 mins 5 to 6 days a week. Great low impact machine. My weight training has backed off quite a bit, for many years.

My goal: 220 to 225 of rock hard muscle, cardio vascular-fit body, so that I can carry that Emmons push-pull without causing a sweat! Image

Anyway, this thread has served to give me a renewed resolve as far as the diet end. It is interesting that Dr. Atkins was on Larry King a few nights ago. (I never watch Larry, but found it while channel surfing.)
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

Guys: My day job is surgery. For those considering gastric bypass or banding, Please understand that surgery will not address the behavior/lifestyle that caused the weight problem. The diet you will need after surgery would be enough to take the weight off without the surgery. This surgery is not without potential complications. It has worked well for many, but not for all. Best of Luck, Steve Spitz
Gordon Borland

Post by Gordon Borland »

We evolved with a taste for things that put fat on us. In our journey from then to now
food is not something you have to work hard for all day. Evolution could not keep pace.
After nineteen or twenty nature is done with us anyway. Like the samon. After we spawn we
are done. If you beat the odds then you buy
a fishing boat or hunting gear or pedal steel guitar. You dont like that massive mass
parked on the pack seat. Butt its natural.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

I'm not overweight, just height challenged Image

------------------
JUST 'CAUSE I STEEL, DON'T MAKE ME A THIEF

Rick Tyson

Post by Rick Tyson »

For serious weight loss, forget the low fat, low Cal. stuff. Its all about the Carbs. A low Carb. diet reduces the Insulin output of the body which reduces the fat adsorbed by the body. One can consume lots of meat ,eggs , cheese Etc and still reduce weight (fat) because of lower Insulin in the body from reduced Carb. intake.
The Adkins diet is what ita all about here.
For me, I am taking in about 300 Carbs. a day but Im not overweight because of my daily exersize schedule. But there are times when I do the Adkins to drop a few extra Lbs.
Its not easy to go from 300 Carbs, a day to 25 Carbs a day for a week or so, but the weight comes off.
The hardest part for me is giving up the white bread, potatoes ,pasta Etc.
Lucky for me there is a health food store in town where I can pick up some Adkins low carb products but it is high $$$ stuff,$4.00 for a loaf of low carb white bread Image but its worth it to me .
David Farlow

Post by David Farlow »

I am not a Doctor, Nutritionist or Dietician or anything in that field but has anyone out there checked into a book entilted "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Peter J.D'Adamo? It is quite different than your normal everyday diet book. It is based on your Blood Type. Sounds a bit strange, at least I thought so when I first heard about it from my brother-in-law. I did get a copy and man did it start making sense. I started following the recommended foods for my blood type, and it did make a big difference. I was not so over weight as I just did not have much energy most of the time. After a few weeks I started feeling better and even lost an inch off my waist, and I am skinny, except for a bit in that middle where we tend to put it on. I could go on and on about this book but I don't want to sound like a commercial. I strongly believe it is worth checking into if you are serious about your health with a diet that can really help change things. Now Dr. A. -send me the check, just kidding.

David
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

David, are you talking actual blood type, like O+, A-, etc.? Image