Johnny Cox OPRY Tonight.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Steele

Johnny Cox OPRY Tonight.

Post by Gary Steele »

I am lost for words, Johnny Cox out did himself tonight. I know for sure i want one of those monster steels now with the word M.S.A. on the front. Man Reese, can you put one back for me, Ha Ha
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Gary,

Do we know he was playing the Mellinium? He surely sounded awesome, whatever he was playing. It was incredible. I heard him behind Connie Smith. And it was crystal clear. Each note was like an individual bell.

Wow.

God bless Johhny,

carl
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Great shots of Johnny playing Tommy's MSA - and he played beautifully! Well done, Connie Smith, too - singing great AND giving a big name check to JC!
Sidney Malone

Post by Sidney Malone »

Johnny was definatly playing Tommy's Millinium!! I just caught the second showing on CMT and there were some great close-ups of that beautiful red MSA.

Johnny and the MSA sounded outstanding as did Connie Smith. My only complaint is they didn't do the whole televised portion.

Once again great job Johnny, Connie & MSA!!!
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

Yes Carl, I was looking right at him. He plays that steel everywhere and on the opry a lot from what a very close friend of Tommy's and others tell me. A guy from Cleveland area is probably coming to my house the middle of the week to let me play his new Millenium. I cant wait. Hey Carl how would you like to buy my Excel with the new de-tuning device and move your to a new home, Ha Ha TOOO beat this another friend not far from me has a new M.S.A. Millenium coming real shortly alsoand said i can play it also. This kinda reminds me of West Virginia ALMOST HEAVEN. These guys are just making my week. I have sold that Orange Williams twice in the last month for two different guys. Now i gotta sell mine. Nothing wrong with the guitar. One guy wanted a cross-Over and the guy that just recently got it has Mike Siglers Mullen and he not long ago got a nice SuperPro like new and that Willy with 9+10 was to much for him. The Willy went out to Scotty's part of the Country. I'm done now!!
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Any time I have ever caught Johnny on the Opry backing up Connie Smith he has been the epitome of taste and tone, to my ears...
and I don't say that lightly.
-John
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

It would have been fantabulous to hear Connie Smith on the entire televised segment!
And her steel player was truly refreshing. He displayed great phrasing with the melody line and all of his playing was in the best of taste and is what steel guitar playing is all about. A great performance and mighty fine camera work also!
Al Burk

Post by Al Burk »

Was that Johnny's MSA or was it Tommy White's MSA? I know that Johnny is a part of MSA Team Millinium and was suppose to get a new MSA Millinium. No matter, he was great!!!!!

Al Burk
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Connie Smith has always been one of my top favorites. Johnny Cox did a great job backing her up on that New MSA. Sounded great to me!.....al Image Image
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Last night's TV portion of the Opry was one of the best I've seen in a loooooong time!
Connie, Johnny and the MSA sounded GREAT! Wish we could hear more like that!
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

That was Tommy's guitar.Johnny's is on it's way i hear. L@@K at Johnny with Connie smith, he kinda reminds me a little bit of Don Helms sitting there on the opry on playing.
1/17/03
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yes, it was a most excellent show...Johnny sounded great, and Connie did too. The music balance seemed better on this show than most, but I don't know why. One thing for sure...all the instruments were heard when it was their turn to play. (Usually they "miss" turning up the feed on one or two when they do a solo.)

What happened to Rhonda? She sorta "lost it" at the end of her last song...guess she broke a string or something! Image

In the "constructive criticism" department, they <u>really</u> overdid the 'verb on Clint's songs...the slow one sounded like he was singing the National Anthem in an empty stadium.

But overall, it was a great show...it was good to see Andy Griffith, too. He's a real American treasure.
Keith DeLong

Post by Keith DeLong »

Connie did sound great, as she always does--I also heard her on the Friday night opry, she did 3 songs, so that was a special treat.She puts so much feeling into her singing, and with people like Johnny Cox playing with her it must be a pleasure to get up on that stage and sing.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Don't forget to mention Rick Wright's "twin" work with Johnny!
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

Sorry bout that Rick YES he is a killer guitar player. You can tell he loves what he's doing!!

Gary Steele
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

This love fest is making me nauseous. Why don't you guys get back to bitching at Gaylord for not booking Lulu Belle and Scotty?
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Thanks guys and gals for such kind words. Working with Connie Smith is truly a steel players dream job. She is so respectful of musicians and she allows everyone in the band to be up front with her, not just nameless backup musicians. Playing on the Opry is still the most rewarding thing I do musically. I recently celebrated thirty years at the Opry and I still get nervous when that curtain goes up.
The MSA Millennium performed flawlessly last night, as it has the past few weeks that I have played it at the Opry. Thank you Tommy for loaning that wonderful instrument to me. And thanks Reece, Kyle, Sonny and everyone with Team Millennium for designing and building The New Standard in pedal steel guitars.

Johnny

------------------

Johnny Cox
MSA Customer Service
www.msapedalsteels.com
www.thetimejumpers.com

Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

That was one of the best I have seen in a long time. Johnny did sound great with Connie-and she has been a long time favorite of mine. I also enjoyed Rhonda and wondered too what happened at the end of the song. I video taped it and have watched it several times and couldnt figure out what happened. It didnt take away from her performance though, she did a great job too. I am a big fan of Rhonda and have seen her perform several times in person and she and her band always do a great job !! Kenny is one of my favorite banjer players ! Image
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Did Tommy play the MSA, too? I caught him playing with Jack Greene on the way home from the gig, but it didn't sound like the MSA. Just wondering.
Butch Foster

Post by Butch Foster »

Johnny and Connie Smith, it just dosen't get much better than that! Connie's voice blends with a pedal steel better than anyone I've ever heard. Rhonda and the Rage are an awesome bluegrass act.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Connie Smith and Johnny Cox rule! Real country music lives!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 19 January 2003 at 10:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

<SMALL>Did Tommy play the MSA, too?</SMALL>
There was another steel with a black cover on it beside the red MSA that Johnny played. Since it was in the spot where Tommy normally sits, I assume it was the guitar he played, although I've never seen his guitar covered except after the entire Opry show was over. Johnny, you were there, what's the answer?
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I just fast forwarded through the show again and just before Johnny's solo I paused the tape and could see enough to count 9 pedals on the "mystery guitar", which matches Tommy's setup. Then during Clint's solo number, there was a shot of the steel from behind with the cover off. It seemed that the knee levers were folded up Image but it looked like his black Sho-Bud to me. I'm sure Johnny can give us the definitive answer. Image
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

Jim, the guitar Johnny was playing is Tommy's. Johnny was thanking him on another post for letting him play it. Johnny will get his a little later, probably shortly i would think. A close friend of Tommy's close to me is getting his this week. I played one all day today, WOW. I'm getting ready to post about it now.
Gary Steele
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Gary, I know Johnny was playing Tommy's MSA. I'm asking about the guitar beside the MSA, in Tommy's spot on stage, that had a cover on it while Johnny was playing. Image