What Do Y'all Do?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Over the years I made a dime or several playing music as well. But I'm a lawyer by trade, and over the last twenty years and a bit I've made a living in Labour Law in three Canadian jurisdictions, including time as a neutral arbitrator and Chair of our Provincial Labour Relations Board (the gig that brought me back home to Alberta from Toronto). Now, I am a partner in a small and very specialized law firm, where we represent a broad spectrum of trade unions in almost every imaginable industry. Building this new business has been a real satsifying and interesting experience, and we are quite proud of what we have been able to do. Despite working harder than I've ever worked before, the last few years have also seen me find more time for steel guitar and other musical pursuits than had been the case for awhile.
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I'm director of communications for Boeing Capital, involved in financing and leasing Boeing airplanes, satellites and launch vehicles. In 16 years with Boeing, I've had the opportunity to visit 19 foreign countries, play a (small) part in selling billions of dollars worth of airplanes and even appear on "Larry King Live." But sometimes I miss coming to work in a t-shirt and shorts, working in a San Diego boatyard ...
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

I spent many years as an P&H overhead crane operator for a Portland cement producer(requires some skills that a PSG demands). The crane's been melted down to make soup cans so for now I run a CAT 988F. It's a crummy job but it allows me to have toys like PSG's and all the Buddy Emmons CD's I want.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Bill Ford(no kin to Henry),
Auto mechanic,industrial mech. packageing machines,R&D on pkg mach,machinest for about 25 years after that,retired since 1999.Love old cars(Fords mostly),currently into photography,have done several tech articles for Mustang Monthly magazine,have done several Mustang shows and am getting ready to go to Ocala Fla. in the morning for a huge Mustang show there.Hope to meet Dennis Gauge(sp).Having fun and getting paid for it,almost as good as getting paid to go to a Buddy Emmons concert,,,,,NAAAAAAAA ain't nothin that good.

Bill

------------------
Bill Ford
David Coplin

Post by David Coplin »

As a new member it has been great to see some of the forum members that know of, or have played with some of the greats. This thread really gives a look-see into how some of the rest of us make a living. I started playing steel and standard guitar in the Air Force while stationed in England in the 50's
After returning to Oregon, I went to work as an engineer / announcer / sales for a Country radio station. Most of the dj's and owner were musicians so we played odd jobs and weekends in various clubs around Oregon.
I worked for 22 years with a Television group here in Oregon and played Country, Jazz,and dixie land jazz playing guitar, Steel, and banjo. Quit playing steel in the 70's but I am just starting up again. BTW I presently fly as a contract pilot for the US Forest Service as a fire recon pilot.
It took me a while to find the forum and steel radio.com but now I have the itch again
David Coplin
Douglas Hudson

Post by Douglas Hudson »

Well lets see,, I do cashier work at a local flea market booth,, which means I am a buying agent for my boss, computer sales, janitor, accountant, and also do my own sales from my very own flea market booth. Seems there is not much work for steel guitarists here in this area,, so I just play around as much as possible in the studio. Oh ya ,, I spent 15 long years being a paramedic. The good Lord only knows what I will do next.
Douglas Hudson
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

Chas Smith wrote:
"I have design, welding and machining skills. I spent most of the last 25 years in the film business, and the majority of that in the motion-controlled camera world, designing and building rigs that moved the camera or moved things for the camera, for which I recieved a nice award."

Yes, last year Chas won an Academy Award for his work.

Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

I got married and had 6 kids so I never had the opportunity of anything other than being a weekend warrior but have been doing that since the mid 70's.
I design and produce T-Shirts, mostly for street rodders and Harley folks. I also do graphics on commercial vehicles.
My stuff can be seen at... www.jackfrancist-shirts.com

------------------
RUS-LER S-10-NV 400(dead)
TELE's,STRAT-FENDER TWIN
Seymour Duncan 50W tube amp

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I am basically a Truck Driver since '87. I have only done Construction type work however, and mostly it's been hauling heavy oversize equipment around the Portland Metro area.

Played Music full time from '81 on, and day work too.

Now it's a couple five niters a month, weekends, and/or all three.

I enjoy being able to do it perhaps more than doing it..

EJL
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 08 January 2003 at 09:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Mostly i`m A loafer , put on coffee inthe morming, make breakfast, feed my lady, go to the barbershop.
I`m retired from oil co. 17 yrs. in lab 19 yrs. in tank farm dont do much ; heart patient;
But I have the most beautiful accoustic guitar,with the most beautiful tone, in the world. Made by a dear friend ,Carroll Benoit. Mauriceville Texas,

I play with a group of friends on Friday

R.L.
Rick Jackson

Post by Rick Jackson »

I am by trade a Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic. However like Jake, I am now doing claims for the Auto Club of Southern California these days. I find it interesting how many professional people we have playing steel. Nice thread....rj

------------------
Life is good when you play a Mullen!

Bennie Hensley

Post by Bennie Hensley »

I was a truck driver for 19 years. I went through the Police Acadamy when I was 51 years old and have been a Police Officer for 8 years.4 more to go 'till retirement!!!
Bennie
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

I play music for a living and Gamble at Golf on the side.
Hey Jake; how about a Game pal.....what kinda money you got in your pocket??? Image Image
Ricky<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 09 January 2003 at 01:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Fulbright

Post by Bill Fulbright »

Today I am a Project Manager, and Testing / Quality Assurance / System Analyst consultant at Citibank for the Latin American Region. After 3 years of being in South America implementing a new credit card system, I am now the owner of Test Director and WinRunner testing environments and software implementations for the Region.

Before this? Hah! for 12 years I was a Board Certified Hypnotherapist, and Management Consultant and Trainer for my own company.

During and before this? I played music in Dallas for a living for about 12 years from 1980 to 1992.

Before that? I was in the Insurance Business as a General Agent with my family and played music on the side.

Too many lifetimes in one, but always have managed to have music be the center of my life no matter what I did.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
Mullen D-10 8x7; Gibson ES-165; Peavey Vegas 400;
ICQ# 2251620 My Music Site

Bob Strum

Post by Bob Strum »

Am I the only dentist(tooth shucker) playing steel?? I was with the telephone company for 11 years until they took a kid with a degree and made him my boss. Then 10 years of school and they gave me a "cane" instead of a diploma! Been at it 27 years!
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

I'm a Product Manager and A&R-guy (uh, the evil word!) for ulftone-music, an independent label from Berlin, Germany.

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 | Regal RD45 | fender hotrod deluxe

Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Licensed MA Plumber, Gas Fitter, and
Oil Burner Technician. Plumbing and
heating contractor.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

After playing for a living in the Los Angeles area for over twenty some years I moved to Virginia where my wife had some relatives and got a good City job because her brother was the Chief of Police. I'm now the Supply Dept. Supervisor for the City of Chesapeake Public Utilities. Who ever said it ain't who you know, don't know nobody. It is who you know as I wouldn't have had my dang job if it hadn't been for my Brother in law..........Later, JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Jake:
Nice thread. I dropped out of high school at age 15 and played professionally for 12 years, then local night clubs for 5 years after starting college ay age 27, then 8 years as an aerospace physicist and 2 years as Director of String Instrument Development at Fender, followed by 30+ years in local government management. I retired two years ago as County Manager of Bradford County, Florida -- but couldn't handle sitting around -- so I'm now Zoning Director at Clay County Florida. Under the state retirement program I will have no choice but to take final retirement in 2007 at age age 77, at which time I plan to get back in practice on PSG and spend a lot of time at the barber shop just watching haircuts.
Shaan Shirazi

Post by Shaan Shirazi »

I'm the case auditor for the Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee for the Western District of Texas. By day I push paper, by night I push pedals!

------------------
The Pickin' Paniolo
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

I'm a synthetic organic chemist by training, but have had the unique opportunity to manage an amazing group of folks for the past 10 years or so. We help laboratory scientists automate routine or redundant operations, using robots, computers, and whatever else we can muster. The scientist sets up the experiment, goes off and leaves it, and the results are on his/her desktop without human intervention. Cool stuff.

I've been playing pedal steel since 1975 and work 1-2 gigs or sessions per week, locally.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

I retired from US Steel as a hard rock miner three years ago. For a "keep busy" job I drive a school bus in the morning and charters as I choose. I play steel as often as I can with friends, but it's all volunteer work.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Bob Strum: I don't know any steel-playing dentists, but back in Toronto I played a lot of gigs with a piano/keyboard player named Mike Bagan who was a dentist by trade. He did a lot of dental work for Toronto-area musicians back in the '80's, often for cheap, or sometimes he would trade dental work for session work.
Danny Kuykendall

Post by Danny Kuykendall »

I own a billiard room-restaurant and sports bar www.dannyks.com. It's more than a full time job. I play some amateur and pro pool tournaments on occasion. Once in a while play a jam session here or an occasional gig with a local singer-guitar player named Jim Rice.
Danny K
Allen Peterson

Post by Allen Peterson »

I have been employed as a professional geologist for nearly 28 years. I currently work for Apache Corporation in Houston, Texas. I have worked for Apache for about 14 years. I develop drilling prospects, or in other words, I am an oil finder. Don't blame for the current gasoline prices at the pump. I have nothing to do with that.