What Do Y'all Do?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jake L

What Do Y'all Do?

Post by Jake L »

I just started reading the Forum again after a few year hiatus. I see lots of folks on here that I don't recognize. So just to learn a little more about you fine folks, share with us what y'all do for a living.
I'll get this going by saying that after several years as a golf professional, I changed careers and now work in claims for State Farm.
Jake Lowe
Allan Thompson

Post by Allan Thompson »

Hi Jake,
I was a pro musician for nearly fifteen years. Now I work as a Ghillie on the River Avon a tributary of the River Spey here in Scotland. The pro musician work is just not there anymore.
Stephen LeBlanc

Post by Stephen LeBlanc »

I do second-rate webdesign and graphics work for a DVD company. I've been considering going back to making a living as a musician but I really don't want to be on the road while my son grows up.

My Dad was never around when I was a kid...I understand he was doing what he had to do to support his family but I'm in a position where I don't have to make that sacrifice.

Anyway...it's something that is constantly tossing about in my mind...I used to make good money and had a lot of fun as a pro-musician...I know I still have it...but everyday I come home and see my 3 year old son's face my decision seems more clear.

------------------
jamfree - music without limits
My Solo Project
Leo LeBlanc Tribute
jamfree radio<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Stephen LeBlanc on 08 January 2003 at 10:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Orth

Post by Tony Orth »

Hi Jake,

I'm an Education Coordinator at a local hospital (St. Mary's). I provide general orientation and safety training to new employees, amongst other duties.

Best Wishes
TOny
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I sell Hi Tech Analytical Insrumentation, Gas Chomatographs and GC Mass Spectrometers.

Before being in Sales ( 5 years now ) I was a Service Engineer for the same Instrumentation...

Don't ask what they are or what they do..just be glad that we have them and they are in use and they work.

markets:
Pharmaceutical, Food and Drug, Environment, Agriculture, Law Enforcement, Accademic and General Chemistry. Pretty much covers it all I guess....

I'de rather play the Steel or the Tele' though...

tp
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

After 40 years of work I do just what I please.
Tony Farr

Post by Tony Farr »

After 52 years of music, I don't want to do much of anything else, but for the last 10 years my wife and I have been cutting grass in the summer to try and keep the creditors away from the front door. But since my heart surgery I'm having to give most of that up. Started out with 26 a week, now down to 5 each week (yards to mow that is).
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

US Army 1986 - Present

***Former member US Army Band (Guitar, Pedal Steel)

***Currently: Instructor/Course Developer for National Guard Recruiting and Retention School. I train recruiters and re up NCO's.

Currently also: Pedal Steel Guitarist/Utility Lead Guitarist for Stardust Nashville Recording Artist TROY COOK Jr.(see links below)
http://www.troycookjr.com/rams/longoverdue/c.ram
http://www.troycookjr.com/rams/longoverdue/f.ram
http://www.troycookjr.com/rams/longoverdue/h.ram
http://www.troycookjr.com/rams/longoverdue/a.ram

Tim

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8 & 9 - Troy Cook & the Long Haul Band

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 08 January 2003 at 11:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

After 23 years of road work as a musician I returned to school in 1988 and got an MA in English. I have been teaching ever since: ESL in its different manifestations in Indonesia, Kuwait, Poland, and United Arab Emirates; and now English composition here in Rhode Island.

I do casual gigs now, and may start sax lessons soon.

The decision to get out of music as a full time career was a tough one, but things have worked out OK. I still play, and have wonderful musician friends--but I don't come in at 3 a.m. reeking of cigarette smoke any more.

Chris

------------------
now living in the Ocean State ....

P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

After a brief career as a pro musician, I got tired of eating dirt, so I became a DBA.

Right now I'm a Stay-at-Home-Dad, which is surely the best job I'll ever have. The pay is a little low, but the job satisfaction is WAY up there!
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I operate my own landscape design and installation company specializing in residential, small commercial, and golf Courses.

Graduated from Texas Tech, came home to convice my wife to marry me and now have two kids 5 & 7 which is a job in itself, but well worth it.

Check out my website: www.craigstock.com

------------------
Regards, Craig

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I have design, welding and machining skills. I spent most of the last 25 years in the film business, and the majority of that in the motion-controlled camera world, designing and building rigs that moved the camera or moved things for the camera, for which I recieved a nice award.
Other than that I've worked as a studio musician, when there was a need for my skills and I've been thinking of becoming a zucchini inseminator.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by chas smith on 08 January 2003 at 01:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I take care of dogs and cats
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I play music for a 'living' - that's why I have the time to sit here fiddling with this computer!

I'm approaching my sixtieth birthday - you'd think I would have learned my lesson by now....
Jim West

Post by Jim West »

At present I'm a bum. I closed my business down (a CNC machine shop) and sold the building because of the soft economy. I've been off for almost a year but getting ready to start a new venture. The time off has been great to say the least and has given me time to woodshed the steel not that it has made much difference, but it's fun!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Engineer with GE Aircraft Engines. I'm in the engineering division but provide computer-aided manufacturing solutions -- currently process planning (work instructions) -- to the manufacturing operations. Yeah, we still manufacturing some. Image

I've never made a dime playing steel guitar and probably never will.

------------------
HagFan

Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Auctioneer, specializing in commercial and residential real estate. Here's my web page. click here
It's got a neat little 5 second video of me "doin' my thang".

------------------
Help prevent juvenile delinquency...teach children to STEEL

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bryan Knox on 08 January 2003 at 01:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

Well I did make a dime playing steel guitar now and then but don´t count on it for my living expenses. I run the mail room for a large construction company that is also very active in the U.S.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i've been running my little biz in construction for the last 10 years.
i'm mainly an electrician and i do a lot of dry wall cause it goes along w; the electrics
But i'm gettin real fed up w; givin 45% of what i earn to the State and for a compulsory retirement plan that'i'll never get !
So i feel like bein'a bum like Jim W and woodshed as much as i want.
Thank Goodness i get to play on some weekends tho'

------------------
Steel what?

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

I'm on unemployment, LOL... But looking for the perfect gig. May go back to school for graphic arts and web design. I'm growing weary of the professional music world because it just isn't professional anymore, at least not here. I'd rather play music for fun nowadays.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

Roger Andrusky

Post by Roger Andrusky »

I am an electrical engineer for a medical sterilizer company. I am basically a project manager here and I too want to be home with my family. I was never a "professional" per se at the pedal steel, but I did play some pretty big shows opposite some pretty big stars giving me memories that are priceless. It was great of you to ask...it's been very enlightening to know that there are regular people out there doing regular jobs and enjoying the most fantastic instrument in the world!
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I play steel 3-5 nights a week around L.A and the occasional road gig if it makes some kinda sense.I'll also rebuild old pedal steels for people once in a while although I always lose money doing that. I have a full blown recording studio in a seperate building on my property which is busy around 20+ hours a week these days.I also shoot and edit video projects ranging from music videos to instructional videos to lame cable TV commercials to weddings or whatever brings a buck. I've always felt that having multiple skills saved my ass when times got tough.I'm also a fulltime daddy to a 2 year old daughter which is the hardest job I've ever had - and the most fun. -MJ-
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I started my business 23 years ago with an old pickup and a shovel. Oh yeah them were the days. Been an asphalt contractor for a good part of my life and though it all been a bowl of cherries by any stretch, its been ok the last few years. Not such a struggle as when I started. bad part is these hot Texas summers. I dont seem to enjoy them as much as I used to. Image

Rick Garrett
Earl Foote

Post by Earl Foote »

I am an engineer at a gear manufacturing plant. I do reverse engineering and AutoCad. We build gears and repair & test gear boxes mostly for the petrochemical and oilfield industries.
Anders Brundell

Post by Anders Brundell »

I work as a news journalist at Sveriges Radio Dalarna in Falun, Sweden, since some 15 yrs. Years of inudstrial work and as a sailor gave me an aching back, so I jumped on journalism by chance, and it´s actually the most stimulating and interesting job I´ve had.
When I spot a good country song I put it under a DJ´s nose end refuse to leave before he´d aired it; if that doesn´t work I sing for him (eeeaach!). That always works!
Anders

(Slip in at http://www.sr.se/dalarna/ and http://www.sr.se/dalarna/fakta/personal/anders_b.stm and read some swedish. You can even listen to us.)