Jingle Bell Rock

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Reggie Duncan

Jingle Bell Rock

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Last week I did a Christmas show at a local Bank open house. I had a great time and was well recieved. Afterwards, while loading my equipment in the car, I heard some of the most beautiful steel guitar playing ever! The bank has many Christmas exhibits on their grounds and the one nearest me was playing a version of "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms. It wasn't the version that I have at home. There was an awesome steel interlude that almost took my breath! You should have heard it reverberating throughout the area! I really can't explain how it sounded! I thought to myself; those folks need to come out here and listen to this! Real steel playing!

My guess is that it was Curley Chalker, possibly playing a Sho-Bud. Tone, feel, the real deal!
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

Don Helms
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

It wasn't the great Don Helms. I think Chalker. Weldon Myrick played on one of the versions, but this one wasn't him.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

I've only heard the later version a couple of times.But my guess is Chalker.-----------bb
Matt Steindl

Post by Matt Steindl »

I know this is off topic, but I gotta tell you that my wife and I had a heated lunchtime debate yesterday about what our least favorite, most hated Xmas tune is, and Jinglebell Rock won out over a close second of Run Run Rudolph!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

Reggie

It was Don.The same thing came up last year and it was Don who recorded the orginal song with Bobby Helms.It will roll around again next Dec.the answer will still be Don.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Andy, I don't think they're talking about the original version that Don was on. Reggie Duncan said it wasn't the version he has at home. Apparently this version has more steel. Image
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

The version I have at home may have a few Helm's chimes, but I can't hear any steel. There was a version that Myrick played on, but the one I heard is not that one either.
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

I don't know about the steel, but I beleive Joe Edwards done the lead part. For a time Joe was the only musician Helms carried on the road. The band I was in at the time worked some shows with them. Probably 35 years ago. Later Joe ended up on the Opry playin' fiddle. I don't think I ever heard him play guitar on the Opry. My 2 cents worth. Doyle Weigold
B Bailey Brown

Post by B Bailey Brown »

This topic came up last year and several of us responded. I think the definitive response was this one…

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL> There are three Bobby Helm's versions that I know of, possibly more. The original does not have any steel. The other versions have Weldon on one and Chalker on the other. If it’s E9th its Weldon and if it’s C6th it's Curly.
Merry Xmas,
Paul </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I finally had time to go search the archives (A valuable tool for finding stuff by the way!) because I remembered this post. I think it will probably answer the original question. Somewhere I have the version with Curly on it, and it is defiantly Curly! I have heard the version with Weldon on it and that was defiantly Weldon! Oh yea…the “Paul” who posted was Paul Franklin! I think he probably knows what he is talking about. Image

B. Bailey Brown
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I had come to the same conclusion. Thanks, B. Bailey.
For Doyle: Joe Edwards played guitar every weekend on the Opry with Bill Carlisle and others. IMHO a much better guitar player. Super musician. I first saw him on a Jimmy Swaggart TV show in the early 70s!
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

If it was on the C6th, it was Chalker for sure. The other versions were on E9th
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

I've got the Christmas LP and whoever it is is most tasty. I'll have to listen again to see if it sounds e9 or c6? I think I remember both Image

bob
Lynn Owsley

Post by Lynn Owsley »

Don Helms played on the original...there was very little steel heard...but as per Don he was on the session and they liked what he did so much he was asked to do it again on "You Are My Special Angel"
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

Reggie, I have very few weekends off so I don't get to watch the Opry very often, unless they happen to have it on while we are settin' up at the job, so I was unaware of Joe workin' with Carlisle that much. Doyle
Jimmie Misenheimer

Post by Jimmie Misenheimer »

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything or not, but I was the last one to play 'Rock, and Freulein with Bobby shortly before he passed. Funny - - I thought I'd played with about everyone down through the years. Even though he and I are from the same hometown, (Bloomington, In.), I only played with him a very few times, in my middle-late forties. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL...

Jimmie
Dyke Corson

Post by Dyke Corson »

Hey Jimmie, when did Bobby die? I played with him once back in the early 80s. He had his own lead player with him, but he told me "go ahead son"... there was steel on the original record
Jimmie Misenheimer

Post by Jimmie Misenheimer »

Dyke, I'm going to say about '98. I was doing an "Opry" type show in Nashville,In., and he was friends with the owner. He was indeed a nice fellow, and a "good ole country boy". I was 47 or 48 years old, and had been to his home in "Martinsville, In." just once - when I was about 14 years old. How, I don't know, but he remembered my having been there - without any "coaching" from me...

Jimmie
Rich Paton

Post by Rich Paton »

Is that the "standard" cut of the tune, which is so often heard on the radio this time of year? I've only ever heard one version, and once inquired of who had played the sooo cool rockabilly toned six string guitar lead on it...someone said Tony Mattola, but now after reading these posts, that doesn't sit quite right. Who WAS that masked man? A hot Nashville cat?
Hearing this song is one of my favorite things to enjoy Christmas time by! I must get ahold of the "+hot pedal steel" version, too. It's a wonderful life!