Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Emmons.
Jeff Watson

Post by Jeff Watson »

Day
Bill Fulbright

Post by Bill Fulbright »

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. This is what I was looking for..

I didn't know it had been done in Feb/02. Next time I will search before launching!

I think I will probably stick with DAY.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Fulbright on 01 December 2002 at 07:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Burk

Post by Al Burk »

Day
Roger Osbourn

Post by Roger Osbourn »

Day-My first was Emmons but my buddy Virgil Pittman showed me why he plays Day.So I changed my second one to Day and I've never looked back. Roger
Whip Lashaway

Post by Whip Lashaway »

Emmons
Sugarless Gum
I tune 2nd string to C# and pull it up to D/D#. How many do that??

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Was Emmons first but bought an Emmons guitar set up Day. Fell in love with the Day setup within a half-hour. Now Day all day on both my Emmonses. More natural and intuitive to me. My ankle feels smoother adding the A pedal on the right as compared to the left. Day makes the A/F combo feel much more intuitive and comforatable.

Brad Sarno
'66 Emmons, '69 Emmons, '69 Twin w/BW
Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Day,,,but without the "C" pedal. My 1'st pedal raises 5 a whole tone just like an Emmons set up, but lowers 9 a half and 10 a whole.
A few years ago I posted Jimmy Day's set up. Except for the "CBA" floor pedals and the C-6 pedals and the one lever on C-6, it's not what you'd expect. Jimmy's E-9 knee levers were somewhat wierd to what we
call "standard". I've still got a copy of his set up somewhere. I used to do a lot of work on Jimmy's gear. If I can find it, I'll post it again.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Warren Davis

Post by Warren Davis »

Day for me. My first D-10 was a Miller and it had the Day setup. I've tried the Emmons but I keep coming back to Day, it's just more natural for me. The C6th seems to be pretty standard on all steels.
Warren Davis
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Emmons

LB
Rex Thomas

Post by Rex Thomas »

Emmons.
Jeff Watson

Post by Jeff Watson »

Have you noticed how often "more natural" is mentioned in connection with the Day setup.
David Weaver

Post by David Weaver »

Day

Ronnie Miller is Day

Dick Meis is Emmons
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I'm not a contorsionist so I use the Day setup. Just makes more sense in conjuction to bar moves along with knee levers and pedals too.
Henry
Emmons p/p
Tony Rankin

Post by Tony Rankin »

Emmons
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Emmons setup. I rock one way as much as the other, especially on minor stuff with the BC pedals. So I can't see a clear advantage to either setup and stick with the one I learned from the beginning.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Doggett on 04 December 2002 at 06:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Vance Monday

Post by Vance Monday »

Put me on the day side...
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Emmons. Although I saw J.D. first, he only had one pedal. When I got my first SHO-BUD(#3) I ordered the Bud Isaacs E9, which had str. #2 & #3 on pedal1. Then when the pedal was split, the 2nd. str. was on pedal #1 and the 3rd. str. was on pedal #2. So, as was stated previously, it just evolved that way and has become a seemingly natural thing. That's why J.D. way would be backward for me, and B.E. would be backward for someone else! They are both wrong, they are both right! 6 of one, 5 of the other! "Big John"http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/doc
basilh

Post by basilh »

So what's the running total Reggie ?
Baz

------------------
<SMALL>Steel players do it without fretting</SMALL>

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I know 3 other players here that play the Day setup, so I will add them to make the total...

Emmons 76
Day 51

(This survey has a margin of error + or - 79.9 points!)
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Using the Wilson score method for calculating confidence intervals for proportions:

Emmons: 76/127 gives 59.8% (95% confidence interval 51.1% to 68.0%)

Day: 51/127 gives 40.2% (95% CI 32.0% to 48.9%)

The difference between the proportions is 19.7% (95% CI 7.4% to 31.2%). This is a statistically significant difference at an alpha level of 0.05.

The odds of using the Emmons setup is 1.49 to 1 (95% CI 1.15:1 to 1.92:1).

Where'd you get +/- 79.9 points?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Emmons
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

David,
In statistics, a 95% confidence interval means that, if constructed based on 100(1-alpha)% which gives you the right tail cutoff and subsequently the left tail cutoff, that the true mean will be contained in the 95%.

The margin of error associated with a certain confidence interval is the right tail cutoff times the population divided by the square root of the sample size. What this means is that for a certain confidence interval, the margin of error tells you how well an estimate is made.

The factors affecting the size of the margin of error are the sample size, the population, and the values inbetween the two cutoffs. When the sample size is larger, the margin of error decreases. When the population has more variation, the margin of error increases. When the values between the two cutoffs is larger, the margin of error increases. All three of these determine the size of the margin of error associated with a particular confidence interval.

Since there are over 3,000 members on this forum and thousands of other steel players, this sample is probably not represetative of the actual percentage of players in each category. Now, then...........<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 07 December 2002 at 11:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Weaver

Post by David Weaver »

According to my calculation it could be argued that you can be 80% confident that 59.2% of the forum players play Emmons and 40.2% play Day, and that the stated proportion is within 5% of the true proportion. The way I have it, you would need a total of 274 responses in order to be 90% confident of the total.

This assumes that Day players are no more or less likely to post in this survey that are Emmons players.

E= 0.05 z(inf)/2 = 1.282 (two tail 80% confidence t value)
p =0.5 q=0.5 (worst case)
Ron Shepard

Post by Ron Shepard »

Emmons