I Just Destroyed The World I Am Living In

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Lee

I Just Destroyed The World I Am Living In

Post by Gary Lee »

Could someone tell me the Tidal of the CD that Conway Twity did I Just Destroyed The World I Am Living In, I have looked through every Conway CD I can find and haven't found it on any of them.
Thanks,
Gary Lee
Jim Whitaker

Post by Jim Whitaker »

Gary it's on (She needs someone to hold her when she cries) Lp . I don't think it was ever released on Cd. I bought my copy on ebay. It also has a Wayne Kemp tune on it called (Darling). I think this is some of John's best work.

good Luck

Jim

------------------
JIM
"Carter SD10" "73" MSA S10, "74" LTD & NASHVILLE 400, Profex II "55" Esquire, "63 Epiphone, "63" Precision,
"71" Jazz
Piney Woods

Post by Piney Woods »

Haven't heard Conway do it, but Ray Price and Willie Nelson have both recorded great versions. I have it on a Ray Price record called "The Same Old Me" and the composer credit goes to the both of them. I've also heard the Derailers play it live.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Try to find Carl Vaughn's version of it with Gary Carpenter's intro and turn around that will make your hair stand on end. Best version I ever heard. It's om rafter records I believe. The album is Yours Forever.
Henry
Emmons p/p
Emmons Legrand
Nashville 400
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

After hearing Buddy Emmons play it on the E9th Expo album, who wants to hear someone trying to sing it? Image
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Most likely Gary Carpenter played the steel part like John Hughey originally recorded it with Conway.....and it is very very hair raising.......and that's why Gary Lee wants this version I'm sure.
Yes there are pleanty of versions/recordings of this song.....but This turnaround on the Conway version will NEVER EVER be out done.....and you can hear why by clicking This Here>Best John Hughey Turnaround in the History of Steel Guitar IMHO!!
Ricky
Jim Vogan

Post by Jim Vogan »

Sounds like John's fretboard is about five feet long! That high part made my dogs run out of the room. Image Image Image

------------------
Jim Vogan Emmons Sd10
G.D. Walker Stereo Steel Combo
Bakelite Ric
Hilton volume pedal

George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

I have posted this before, but you gotta hear Stu Basore's turnaroud on this song from Rob Parkers tape. (The tape that has about 10 songs and a different steel player on each song) Make sure you're sitting down because it will knock you over.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

John Hughey's intro/solo on Conway's version is still one of my all time favorite steel solos. Makes my hair stand up. Image

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Gary Lee

Post by Gary Lee »

Thank, guys for the enormous amount of information, I have the John Hughey CD Lost In The Feeling which has I Just Destroyed The World I Am Living In included on it, I just wanted to find the Conway Vocal version because I have friends that are not musicians that say they have never heard of the song, I figure if I can find the Conway vocal version it might revive their memories.
Thank again,
Gary Lee
andy sainio

Post by andy sainio »

Hi guys!

And,of course,we have all heard Darrell McCall's version of "I just destroyed the world I'm living in" with Buddy on the steel?

Best wishes,Andy.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

And Bobbe has it on the "Priceless" CD. Lots of good stuff on there!
MALCOLM KIRBY

Post by MALCOLM KIRBY »

Carpenter "hints" of Hughey on the Carl Vaughn cut (mentioned above), but he does a nice modulation in the middle of the ride.
Carl's singing ain't too shabby either.
If you can't find the Twitty-Hughey album, the CV cut should make do until you can Image