MSA SuperSlide, my opinion

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bobbe Seymour

MSA SuperSlide, my opinion

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Having just recieved a new "10 string Super Slide" and playing it for a week, along with letting several Nashville players do the same, I have concluded that this just has to be one of the finest guitars of this style I have ever been introduced to.
The fit, finish,tone and overall design is something to behold.
I am not really known for being a great "lap steel guitarest", but my love for this style of steel guitar knows no bounds. Having been a Jerry Byrd fan since I was 6 hasn't hurt.
I am very happy that a company in this day and time would make a major successful effort to create such a quality instrument for us players.
This is proof that the instrument that we love has a bright future. The quality of our tools has just improved to a great degree.
We are no longer "slaves to the hunt" for Rickenbachers, Fenders, and other vintage classic instruments, we now have a new "Quality Classic" that will live on forever, in any configuration we want it, as close as the nearest phone.
I am shocked and deeply impressed at the fact that this company has seen fit to create an instrument of this quality for a market that some felt had very little future. This company obviously feels the way I do, that the non-pedal steel guitar will not only be here forever, but will spawn new and great players forever. They want to make sure the generations to come will have great instrument in which to hone this craft.
The price of Gibson, Rickenbacher, and Fender steel guitars in the early fifties hovered around $4-500.00, this was when you could buy a new Buick for $1900.00. The price of the new Super Slide has not kept up with inflation, it would be a value at twice the price. This is a value and a very high quality product. Will I stock them and sell them from my store in Nashville? Yes, I certainly hope so!
Bobbe Seymour
Super Slide? Yes!
Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

Big Thumbs Up on that one. Got a chance to hear it when Maurice played down in S.Cal a few weeks ago.Its on my list of must Haves!!!
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I'm the proud owner of the 3rd MSA Superslide 12 string made and the 1st shipped. I have just been playing it for the last hour. I agree with everything Bobby says in spades. Truely a fantastic instrument.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

A quick reminder to anyone in the New York area that would like to hear the SuperSlide in person: I'll be bringing mine down to HowardR's place on 38th street at 5:15 today (Sunday).
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

What an outstanding recap and endorsement on the attributes of the MSA SuperSlide by Bobbe Seymour and Bill McCloskey.

I wish MSA and the players great sucess with the SuperSlide Image

Now, if only Fender, Gibson & Rickenbacher would follow MSA's leadership.

I would love to see a new quality D10 non-pedal by one of these great companies or any of the other one's out there..Oh well, wishful thinkin..TX
rgds,
Ron
Billy Gilbert

Post by Billy Gilbert »

Remington Steel has made at least one D-10 non-peddler but it may have been a special order.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Billy, I think you need to see a "Super Slide". Ha!

I just wish I'd have had one before I recorded the "Legends of the Lap Steel" CD.
The "Phantom Steeler" agrees with me, he wishes he's have had one also!
Next time.
Bobster <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 01 May 2005 at 06:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

The Super Slide is an excellent, excellent steel. No doubt form anyone who has heard it person that I have witnessed. More on the Slide Off in another thread.
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Bobbe....What can we say to each other that we haven't already said. All of us at MSA are delighted to have you with us.

Herman....Thank you for your comment. The show in Oceanside was one I will never forget. Thank you for being there.

Bill....I appreciate your comments and for taking your new SuperSlide to Howards "slide off" last weekend.

Ron....Thank you for your well wishes.

HowardR....Thank you for everything.
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

What's the scale length on the Superslide?
Kyle Bennett

Post by Kyle Bennett »

The scale length is 22.50
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

'Scuse me.

I'll be right back.

I just have to pick up my jaw.

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Hey, I'm tellin' it like it is, this is the greatest lap steel I've ever seen!
Players that come into my store in Nashville play it and can't believe it, I had to fight Randy Beavers for an hour last week to get it back away from him. This is happening all to often!-------- Help!

Yes, there is a rumor of the possibility of a D-8 "SS" in the future, I'll also have to have one of those!!!!
Bobbe
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

Bobbe,

I like that D8 SS rumor.......If you get it, BobG and I will fly out from NYC to get it..."Thank's for coming to work today"....TX
rgds,

Ron

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Bobbe is spot on with his evaluation of the SuperSlide .....I played Bill M's at the NYC Slide Off . and came away VERY impressed, and I'm not easily impressed.
Howard and Bill kept going back and forth with the cord to do instant comparison's with the SuperSlide, and Howard's Sierra which is no slouch either I might add... The definite nod went to the SuperSlide.... It was a unanimous vote hand's down !!.... The Superslide play's like butter !....It's got a really professional feel to it ....It's rare that you get a good feel for an instrument ....Some sound good, but you don't get a lot of feedback from the instrument.....The Superslide not only sounds good, it really FEEL'S good ....It's hard to put into word's , but anyone who know's what I'm talking about, know's just what I'm saying ... The fit and finish is 2nd to none ....It's also very well layed out...Just my opinion, but I would have to say that the SuperSlide will be the lap steel for others to compare to ....Jim
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Bobbe had me to check out the new MSA Superslide at his store today. It's a very well built lap steel and looks to be of terrific quality. NR
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

Next thing you know Bobbe will be stocking MSA pedal steels.... Image
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

I had the opportunity not long ago to sit down and play Gary Steele's MSA Millenium,and WOW!!!. Reece, that's one GREAT playing and sounding guitar. Image The tone on the Millenium is SUPERB!!!Pedal action is great.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

How did pedal guitars get into this post Kenny? Ha! Lets stay with the"Super Slide".
The greatest news here is that there IS going to be a D-8 ! ! ! With accessories to make it any configuration a player would want.
It is already designed and proto-types are being built soon. I heard it directly from the horses mouth.
Now Kenny K.,,,, Forget the training pedals and get one of these great guitars!
You play to well for pedals anyway!
Bobbe,
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Bobbe, I've been wanting to get a 6,or 8 string lap steel. Image Like to have a 8 stringer,and tune it to a C6th. ImageIf all goes well,as planned, we'll see ya' toward the end of the month. Image
P.S. I thought I'd get Reece's attention on the Millenium by putting it here with the Superslide thread. Image
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Kenny, I'm sure you have his attention, he doesn't miss anything when it comes to steel guitars. I want him to see your 8 string request, I have several folks echoing your interest in D-6s and D-8 string guitars.
These should be the best ever in this industry.
Now, I'm looking forward to your being here in two weeks. It's about time! Ha!
bobbe

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

"...it would be a value at twice the price."

Hey Bobbe, I know you have a business to run, but let's not give Reece any ideas!As an amateur, I already have a hard enough time selling my wife on my purchasing of instruments and equipment. When the time comes, I'd like to have a legitimate shot at being able to buy one of these things! Image

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 15 May 2005 at 12:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

Hi Bobbe, Do you think it would be possible for you to bring your Super Slide to Chattanooga this coming weekend? I realize you dont sell them yet, but this maybe the only chance some of us will have to see one.
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Mark,
These SuperSlides are great sounding and great playng lap steel's, but I wouldn't go as far as selling my wife for one .. Image

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Good one,James! Image

Hey-I'll bet there's more than one Forumite that would be more than happy to sell their wife for one...with a "closeout/no return policy!"

------------------
Mark