bob dylan's steel player? !!!!!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kim West

bob dylan's steel player? !!!!!

Post by Kim West »

i just returned from seeing bob dylan and his band. wow! nearly 2 1/2 hours of everything: old, new; electric, acoustic; his stuff, songs of his other people have covered, and bob doing covers (a SCORCHING "brown sugar", for one). this is the best i've ever seen bob.
but who is larry campbell? he played all sorts of guitars, including pedal steel on nearly one-third of the entire set. so, tell me about him. (he's not the same guy who played with ryan adams, i trust.)
(if you've never seen old bob, do it this time around: he's ON!)
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Lots of good info on Larry's website Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Oh great! Thanks to this post I've ordered 2 tickets for the Boston show and now I'm out almost $400. I must be crazy!
(I got a soft spot for Dylan as I grew up during the folk era and I know this'll be the last time I ever see him...)
tom anderson

Post by tom anderson »

I saw Bob Dylan 2 nights ago and after Larry Campbell's steel solo(s) on "It's all over now Baby Blue", I turned to my friends & said "That's why God invented the pedal steel guitar". He was great.
Kim West

Post by Kim West »

tony, you won't regret it at all. and the way he's cooking, man, he could do it for another forty y--...well, maybe not. but he's damned hot. tom, i'm glad god invented websites like bob's that include set lists, because i'm going to have to check it to see what i saw. it was truly a 60s caliber experience: i don't remember much, so i MUST have been there, and i MUST have had a good time!
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

Ditto to Kim's post. -saw the Dylan show last night at Kent State Univ. Larry Cambell is quite the utility guy, he even played a Buzouki (sp?) at one point. Anyway, nice steel tone, was it a Twin, and from my vantage point I could not see what kind of steel it was. Top ticket price at KSU was $45.00. Man, there must be some great perks for the cost of those seats in Boston.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Larry's playing a Zumsteel and when Dylan was through here just before the ISGC in August, it looked like Larry had a rack of Avalon U5 DIs that he was running everything through.

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Kim West

Post by Kim West »

for those who want to save$$: at the ames show, general admission tickets ($29) got you right up front, within spittin' distance. standing all night, but five feet away. the rest of the seats were drier, yet smokier.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Well, saw the MAN last night in Boston and it was a truly ecstatic musical experience!
Let's face it, either you like Dylan or you don't...there's no in between. And for those of us who do, it was a night to remember.
The biggest surprise was just how much the band can ROCK!
Kim's right..."Brown Sugar" sounded as good as the Stones. Another cover that rocked out was Neil Young's "Old Man".
And ditto for Larry' steel on "It's all over now, Baby Blue"! Wow, would I like to have that recorded.
It was also amazing to see Larry Campbell change guitars for EVERY song...hollow body, strat, acoustic, les paul, slide guitar and pedal steel.
I'm sure pedal steel was once again, introduced to thousands who never heard of it or saw one before, thanks to the fine playing of LC.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tony Palmer on 17 November 2002 at 09:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kim West

Post by Kim West »

good for you, tony! i STILL get off thinking about that show! speaking of the rolling stones, my brother flew up from macon, georgia, a few weeks ago to see the stones playing in some small venue in beantown. said they kicked butt, too: nothing fancy, just good old rock and roll. they did a cover of a dylan song (but my old brain can't recall which one it was), and he said it was the best he's seen the stones. don't think he said anything about pedal steel, though. can't imagine keith doing THAT!
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

I believe Kieth did play PSG on a couple of songs I just can't remember the album.The girl with the faraway eyes was one.
Getting back to Dylan : has had some great steel work on his songs over the years. I sure would like to see this latest tour.
Regards Brendan
Kim West

Post by Kim West »

brendan--got out my "some girls" album liner notes from the rolling stones 1978 release, and the credits indicate that ron woods played pedal steel on "when the whip comes down", "far away eyes", "before they make me run", and "shattered." ron is also credited with playing "electric slide" on "before they make me run." keith is credited with electric, acoustic and BASS (on two tracks!) guitars, piano, and back-up and lead vocals. interesting to note that bill wyman is not credited with any contributions on three of the songs: ron woods gets bass credits on a third song. amazing the things i manage to forget over the course of 24 years. sometimes it takes less than 24 hours to forget somethings.