Insult to the steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

compuserve

Insult to the steel

Post by compuserve »

If you can get the British steelies society web page have a look at a thread on their forum.

,You will either laugh or cry ,to think that somone thinks that country music would be better off without the steel,If you can have a look .The heading is that the steel is only good for shredding cheese.J N
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Image Can you give us the URL for it? Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

I have a feeling I'm releasing the hounds by doing this, but Image

Click Here

-John <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Steele on 05 November 2002 at 11:00 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by b0b on 06 November 2002 at 09:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

He didn't say what kind of cheese..

Some of us on this side of the pond take cheese very seriously, especially our friends up there in Wisconsin..

tp
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Someone needs to send Charles a Buddy Emmons album . . . ANY Buddy Emmons album. I think he'd hear a lot more variety than he imagines. It's like listening to Floyd Cramer and assuming one can only play that style on a piano.

<font size=1>now I know why tigers eat their young.</font>

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
compuserve

Post by compuserve »

PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!I know what was said about the steel was not very nice but let us not forget that every one has a right to his or her opinion.I have been told that when it was said it was in a joking way but was taken to heart [myself included].. and got a bit nasty PLEASE!!!dont lets go the same way.
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Sounds like Marty Pollard and stellin10 both moved to Europe.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

There's an Idiot born every minute, but in some parts, It's every second, Hey ,Sara Jory! Go punch this jerk! kr<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by kyle reid on 05 November 2002 at 11:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

We have the same feelings in Nash.just listen to the non steel country music.Many times people will remark I liked your playing,but they do not know what to call a pedal steel.Many songs are now steel-less.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Alford on 05 November 2002 at 11:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
compuserve

Post by compuserve »

HI RAY,Whos Marty Pollard?.Iv read some of Steeling 10 remarks on B/S forum but not MR MP so please tell me who he is .THANKS .
John Hughey

Post by John Hughey »

Speaking of tracks, I think this guy is off his track or needs to be put on one.
John Hughey
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Right on, Mr. Hughey! Great to hear from ya!
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

THANK YOU, JOHN !! Image Image Image Image

Regards, Paul
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

All I can find is another post rebutting the "Steel Cliche" post but can't find the original. Image
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Ah yes.. England..

I have a good friend named Sue
who is an aspiring pedal steel player from Sussex. She travels here every year to catch the SGCs, and for some reason each year comes out here to catch Myself, and Larry Behm. Her visits are always the high point of my "musical year".

From what she tells me, the "Live Country Music" scene there is really hurting, and consists of "Skiffle Bands", ( Oh, I'm 'Enery the Eighth I am..)

From my own travels through London in '76, I can say that the "English Sense of Humor" is easily misunderstood. Also that some of the more obscure "English Attitudes" can easily get to those of us whose forefathers killed, maimed, and sent packing the bunch of them that tried to run our lives. If it weren't for that, this might well be the 'arpsichord Fourum.

It's surprising how many "yanks" don't know what it is I'm playing up there either. I tell them it's an "Okie Organ", "Cheese Slicer" or "manure spreader". Lew Soloman, a local failed keyboard player has always called it that, and my banjo a "weedeater". Maybe that's why he's limping around without a gig, and people pay more attention to my 20k$ Panhead and ragged old Pro III than his 40k$ NitroBike and his POS Yamaha keyboard.

It's all in how you feel about it yourself.

I guess it's a matter of taste.

More and more of those folks
"on the continent" are going to have
to get used to those vocal soloists
singing from their minarets.

I think we'll eventually win them over..

or not...

I'm not worried about a joke or two.

------------------
EJL63FLH
'78 Pro III Sho-Bud
'63FLH 90"Stroker
'80 Gold Wing
-Peavey: When it's *not* about "The Sound"-
"You can Smart Yourself Dumb.
Why Can't you Dumb yourself Smart?"-Me
"There are only so many ways to fry cat food."- Buster
"At my age, sometimes I run out of Adrenaline, but I've still got plenty of Gall.." -Me-
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 05 November 2002 at 03:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

You have to look at what the guy said. He said something to the effect that he had listened to lots of Country Music from 1993-1997. There wasn't much variety in country music in that period (still isn't, but that's for another topic). He said all the steelers sounded the same...but in that period (listening to "mainstream" country), he probably only heard 2 or 3 steelers on all those records he listened to!

That term cliche', though, that he used, comes up often, and there's good reason for that. Almost <u>any</u> instrument is subject to cliche's when it's examined in a particular musical style. Let me give some examples...

Have you ever heard a rock guitarist that didn't play with some distortion and bend the 3rd string? Have you ever heard a blues guitarist that <didn't</b> bend the first string? Have you ever heard an accordion player that didn't end a polka with triplet major chord? Have you ever heard a concert harp player that didn't end a song with those all those augmented and diminished arpeggios?

Probably not.

Most instruments, when they play a certain style of music, use certain "signature" licks and patterns, the steel is no different. But, the steel can alter it's sound or "personality" a lot more that some instruments. We're not nearly as limited (tonally and soundwise) as the harmonica, accordion, bagpipes, sitar, clarinet, trombone, and dozens of other instruments, as well. Now, all these instruments are loved by different people...who like certain types of music. Clearly, the author of that thread isn't particularly fond of country music. But clearly...he hasn't listened to enough different interpretations to make a valid judgement. Even then, he <u>still</u> may not like the steel guitar's sound.

But, in the final analysis...who cares? That poor (English?) chap has probably listened to Sneaky Pete on lots of records, and not even realized what he's heard. And he's probably never heard Buddy, or Reece, or Curly.

My friends, that's his loss...not ours!

Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

<SMALL>HI RAY,Whos Marty Pollard?.</SMALL>
I guess the best explanation of Marty would be for you to click on "Search" Type in his name and just read his comments of the past,b0b removed him from the forum last mo.
Enjoy Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Guys,
I dislike English kidney-pies. Only the smell of it makes me sick.
I love steelguitar.
For this guy it's the other way around. Let it be......

JJ

------------------
Image Click on the pic!
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Call the construction company and have them
add more "rubber" to the walls from where that came from.
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

Can't help but feel a bit sorry for him. Said he played regular guitar...and may wish he could play the pedal steel.....

Bob.
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

Can't help but feel a bit sorry for him. Said he played regular guitar...and may wish he could play the pedal steel.....

Bob.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm having a hard time navigating that message board, but I found this where Charles Harrison (the instigator) explains his actions somewhat.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by b0b on 06 November 2002 at 09:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

It's funny that he calls the steel cliche, when one of his fellow countrymen, BJ Cole, is sooo far from being that way...
Steve England

Post by Steve England »

"I dislike English kidney-pies. Only the smell of it makes me sick.
I love steelguitar. " Kidney pie would be absolutely disgusting. Actually it's steak and kidney pie that we Brits crave. Steak and Kidney Pie and steel guitar....MMMMM! I love 'em both Image

The moderator on that forum is something else though, You only have to disagree with the jerk and she posts a be nice message. And people accuse b0b of censorship Image
Rusty Hurse

Post by Rusty Hurse »

I think he needs to go see nurse Ratchet for medication time!