Jerry Douglas lesson in Guitar Player

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Keith Grubb

Jerry Douglas lesson in Guitar Player

Post by Keith Grubb »

For anyone interested, Guitar Player had a lesson with Jerry Douglas in the April issue (I think). Did anyone else see this? I noticed he tilted his whole wrist for reverse slants. It seems like a lot of people use Jerry Byrd's method, where you use the thumb to slant and index finger as the pivot point. In any case the lesson covers open G and open D.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Yeah it's the May issue, I just went and got it. Very informative article about mostly basics but covers some interesting territory for more advanced players too.

------------------
Sierra S8, Gibson GA30RVT, Peavey Delta Blues, Regal Dobro heavily modified, Teese RMC2 Wah, Proco Rat, pyrex and bakelite bars

Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

I was confused. They titled it as a lap steel lesson, but in all of the pictures it showed a resonator. What's up with that?
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I wondered about that too. I play lap steel in open D and dobro in G, so I used it for both.

------------------
Sierra S8, Rickenbacher T-Logo Bakelite lap steel, Peavey Delta Blues, Regal Dobro, Teese RMC2 Wah, Proco Rat, Lap Dawg bar

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Isn't a resonator a lap steel? I've never seen one with legs! Image
erv<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 12 May 2005 at 12:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

Sort of. A resonator is only a lap steel if you're sitting down, but no one plays bluegrass Dobro sitting down at a gig.

Personally, I think of them as two different instruments, a lap steel being a solid body electric and a resonator/Dobro as a different critter. I don't know where a Weissenborn fits in to my deffinition though. I just figured that Guitar Player is so out of touch with steel guitar these days that they didn't know any difference.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

For those of you as cheap as me, this lesson in now on==line at http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=45&storycode=8097
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Paul-I don't think Guitar Player is out of touch with steel at all. The last thing I want to do is jump start another "Robert Randolph, Yea or Nay" thread but he was on the cover with his Fessenden shown at the top a few months back. So regardless where anyone stands on RR-steel guitar was on the cover. As far as pedal players being recognized-it would be great if they did an article on someone like Paul Franklin.

I'm guessing that they categorized the JerryD article under lap steel to try to appeal to a broad audience-kind of a "lowest common denominator" thing. If they used the word "dobro" it probably mentally clicks for some people with bluegrass only-if at all-and when one listens to Jerry you hear the bluegrass influence through his playing on the dobro but a high percentage of what he plays can't be called bluegrass.

Jerry is an outstanding lap steel player, and it is my understanding that on his next solo album, which will be out in a couple of months-the percentage of lap steel vs. dobro will be higher than many of his previous albums.

Now wouldn't it be something if Guitar Player came out with a "Tribute to Jerry Byrd"-type article?

------------------
Mark
Dwayne Martineau

Post by Dwayne Martineau »

His forward slant is similar to the JB technique. On the reverse slant he's pivoting from the wrist. Ouch.

With a Stevens-style dobro bar, that makes sense for fast reverse-slanting, but still... ow.

The last time I tried a forward slant with a Lap Dawg bar in a music store, the bar flew out of my hand, bounced off the aluminum Ricky I was holding, and onto the floor.

Never again.

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>it is my understanding that on his next solo album, which will be out in a couple of months-the percentage of lap steel vs. dobro will be higher than many of his previous albums.</SMALL>
I had the pleasure of meeting him yesterday and yes, that is what he told me.
Roger Smith

Post by Roger Smith »

The interviewer's name is Andy Ellis. He's a great guy and major lap fan. His collection of steels would amaze most of us. He does what he can within the confines he has to work with.
He did a review of Cindy Cashdollars CD a couple months ago (and is doing an interview with her for 'Frets'.
Not to mention (absolutely shameless plug), in the June issue of GP, he lists 'Legends of the incredible Lap Steel Guitar' as something he's currently listening to.
Roger Smith www.horserockrecords

Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Roger, I know that it is considered good form to preface any kind of "plug" with the word "shameless," but don't sweat it, man! Anything we can do to raise the conciousness level of the lap steel guitar is a noble mission in my mind.

Howard R., would love to hear a little more a your meeting with JerryD-if a test were available to measure such things I'm sure I would score in the top one percentile of Jerry Douglas fans-he is simply my favorite musician on the planet-I met him briefly back in '91 (and have seen him play several times)-he always seems the gentleman and has a great sense of humor.

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 17 May 2005 at 03:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Mark, he's a regular guy. I met both Jerry and his wife Jill. They are very pleasant down to earth people and I felt very comfortable conversing with them.

I received calls from Bob Hofnar and Chuck Campbell with regard to a National New Yorker that Jerry needed for a photo shoot. This is for his new cd.

I am a hat manufacturer & supplier with a store and so I brought my National into work with me. Jerry and Jill really got a kick out of my store and the business. It's an old fashioned business and I'm one of the last. People are intrigued by this.

We had some nice converstaion, kidded around a little, and spoke of music. I'm very much obsessed by Gypsy Jazz and we spoke of that. Jerry as we know has a very open mind to all kinds of music. He is familiar with, and appreciates the musicians and this genre of music.

In the last few years I've met a fair amount of talented musicians and players/artists of steel guitar. Everyone has their own personality and I will have to say that I've enjoyed meeting everyone. I've always felt that I've been treated at the same level regardless of my playing abilities.

Tighe Falato

Post by Tighe Falato »

Howard....was your meeting with JD while he was in NYC with AKUS for the Beacon show last month? I was there and his solo spot was wonderful as usual. Started with a tune off his upcoming CD, Little Martha and finished with Monkey Let the Pigs Out. Truly a master of his instrument. Nice selection of resos too Image I had the fortune of meeting him on his solo tour a few years back at Harms in Englewood NJ with Doc Watson. Real down to earth guy. We talked about his solo release at that time (Lookout for Hope) and his version of Little Martha. I recall him saying he'd hope that Duane (Allman) would have approved. I told him there was no doubt! Received an very unexpected call from him for my birthday the next year. I was in the midst of one of those "bumps" in life and my wonderful wife emailed his management company. He was on tour with AKUS and took the time out to call, wish me a happy birthday and chat a bit. Really blew me away! Really speaks volumes about JD the person.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Tighe, Jerry is here a couple of days for a photo shoot for his latest cd which is not yet released. He will be returning the National to me today.
Tighe Falato

Post by Tighe Falato »

Very cool Howard! Hope to see your National on his CD or promo materials in the near future. Dereks Trucks plays slide on one track which should be very interesting.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

It's good to have National acclaim... Image
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Since my last post Jerry came in and returned the guitar.

There's more to follow and some good stuff....hey, would I let you guys (& gals, sorry Donna) down?

Stay tuned.... Image
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Howard-you look absolutely fetching!...no photos of Jerry modeling?

------------------
Mark
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

No, but I'll be posting a photo of Jill (in her new olive green Panama) & Jerry shortly.
Tighe Falato

Post by Tighe Falato »

So were you able to convince Jerry that a signature hat made Minnie Pearl a country legend and you could do the same for him? Nice selection (and modeling job of course) but Jerry seems more interested in your NY'er Image Really Howard, great pic and memory for 'ya! I'm jealous...
Bill Pastuch

Post by Bill Pastuch »

Hey Paul;

Maybe not at a bluegrass gig, but I sit down to play dobro at jams all the time. Tough to stand up at one of these for 3 to 4 hours.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

<SMALL>"Howard-you look absolutely fetching!"</SMALL>
Like he should be fetchin the newspaper...
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Well, I thought he looked positively kvetching!