Reba/"Teach"/Concert for America - Whodat Steeler?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Horch

Reba/"Teach"/Concert for America - Whodat Steeler?

Post by Dave Horch »

I didn't know what to make of it... Just now on the televised 9/11 "Concert for America" Reba comes out and does..."Teach your Children" Okay, very fine with me, because...

The steel player was very much featured loud and proud! Also shown on camera several times!

But the best part was that this cat didn't play the original Jerry Garcia stuff, he played his own version. <font size=-1>I'm not knocking JG, let's not get that going again!</font> The "spirit" of Jerry was there, but a far more experienced steeler did the tune proud with his own exceptional work! Very nice work!

One question... Whodat??

Best, -Dave

------------------
Mullen (See! No "S") D-10 <font size=-1>
<a href=http://www.davidhorch.com/music>Photo page</a> </font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 11 September 2002 at 09:24 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 12 September 2002 at 07:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I saw that too....Considering the event (Presidential performance) I thought her steel-guitarist turned husband turned business manager may have done the honors. Image I mean no disrespect but he hasn't played in so long that I have forgotten his name! <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 12 September 2002 at 09:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Last I heard Terry Crisp played for Reba, and he wasn't married to her....
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

John McDuffie plays guitar for her normally, but he does play steel. It might have been him.
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Thought I caught a glimpse of a Derby emblem on the front apron....
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I'm still trying to remember the name of the steel guitar player in Reba's early touring days who married her, then stopped playing and became her business manager.

Does Norville Blackstock, or a name similar to that "ring a bell" with anyone..... Please, someone assure me that I haven't lost my mind! Image www.genejones.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 12 September 2002 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I was mistaken. John plays for Rita College, not Reba. Sorry about that.

But hey. What's a letter or 2 between friends?
Leigh Howell

Post by Leigh Howell »

Yes Gene. Norville Blackstock sounds right to me.

Leigh
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Gene--the name Norval Blackstock is the one I've seen. As steeler/hubby, not regarding this TV show. The part about losing your mind----sorry, but not being a professional, it wouldn't be fitting for me to speculate Image
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Looked like Robbie Flint to me.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

GOD! Who cares? Jerry did it, and will always
do it the best. CUZ it's hiz style.......

IDIOTS
Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

CHIP, will all respect, forget Jerry for a moment...

My comment was that the cat that played the show played his own version of this song on steel that was GREAT! AND it was mixed loud and proud for all of the world to hear! I was curious to learn who that player might have been. <font size =-2>(We all know that the tune might have been the first intro to "the steel sound" for some folks (see another current thread), but please let's not get back into that!).</font>

For others... The guy had grey hair and grey trimmed beard, sorta like Kenny Rogers. My hope is that this concert will show up as a recording either on DVD or CD. I'd like to cop his licks for this tune. He gave the world a far more "experienced" steel version of a somewhat "classic" tune.

Please please, this is not a Jerry thread!

Best, -Dave

------------------

Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Sorry Dave..........just an emotional twit on my part. I'm sure the cat played it very well, indeed.
Cliff LaBombard

Post by Cliff LaBombard »

Norval Blackstock was her former steel player then married her and became her manager.
Steel player in Question was probably Terry Crisp (Ricky Scaggs)good old Anderson, SC boy whom I think is the representative for Derby Guitars, a great player and I think I saw him on TV backing her up before.
Donnie LaValley toured with Rebba a no. of years, on many of her old recordings, Donnie from Plattsburg NY, former Texas Steel player of the year I understand has retired and lives in Mt.Juliet,TN. I hope my memory has not betrayed me on any of this info. (age problem.!!)
BobG

Post by BobG »

<SMALL>The guy had grey hair and grey trimmed beard</SMALL>
..mmmmm... is that just a coincidence ?....
and nobody know who he is?.... mmmmm.......
very... strange... indeed...

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Didn't see the show so I couldn't say who it was, but Terry Crisp was her steel player for about 10 years until she disbanded a while back, he seems like the most likely suspect. Somebody who saw it must know... Reba's husband's name is Narvel Blackstock I believe.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have gray hair and a gray trimmed beard, but it shore weren't me.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I had the honor of attending the taping on Sept. 9, but could not see the steel player from my seat. (I caught a glimpse of him because he strolled out and took his seat well after Reba and the rest of the band were in place. You could hear the stage manager shouting "Where's the steel guitar player?")

The description sounds pretty good, although as I recall Reba McEntire wasn't accompanied by her own band.

After staying in the background on "This Land is Your Land" he sure got to turn it up for "Teach Your Children!" It sounded great --I hope Jerry Garcia was smiling ...

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 13 September 2002 at 05:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

Russ! You lucky dog! The votes are in, and we guess that Terry Crisp did the honors on a Derby.
<SMALL>"Where's the steel guitar player?"</SMALL>
<font size=-2>(Smoke break outback? Didn't hear the call? After all, who cares if it's for the Prez? Just another gig...)</font>
<SMALL>I had the honor of attending the taping on Sept. 9</SMALL>
Russ, can you tell us how you gained that honor? All the way from Seattle? Hmmm, you must have a story to tell, so please do. Enquiring minds want to know... Seriously.

Best, -Dave

------------------

Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Okay, Dave ... but it's not that much of a story:

The NBC broadcast of the concert was sponsored by Boeing, also known as "my employer." I was in DC on business last week, and was lucky enough to be offered a ticket.

I used the word "honor" because that describes what it was like to be rubbing elbows with dozens of New York and Port Authority police officers and firefighters, along with many military personnel who responded to the attack on the Pentagon.

If you didn't see the telecast, the performers included Al Green, Placido Domingo, India.Arie, Chris Isaak, Enrique Iglesias, Gloria Estefan and the National Symphony Orchestra. The music was terrific, although I would have liked to hear another song from Alan Jackson and his band. (I'll let you folks identify his steel player; I was sitting in the fourth row, but the piano and drum kit blocked my view of the pedal steel.)

Boeing hosted a reception after the concert, but other than a brief chat with Chris Isaak's bass player, I didn't see any other performers. I did see Alan Greenspan, but fought off the urge to ask him if I should refinance my house.

As for the true identity of Reba McEntire's steel player, he was not listed in the program. The "show band" that accompanied her and several other acts was led by a guitarist/piano player named Rob Mathes, with Jon Herington also on guitar. Do those names provide a clue? I'm assuming that they're DC-area session players.

Tom Rutledge

Post by Tom Rutledge »

It was Robbie Flint...I was there.
I keep telling him, that if he'd cut a finger off , maybe he could play it like Jerry... ;-)
Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

Thanks Russ! Perhaps a case of "right place, right time"? You lucky dog...

But now Tom says he was there too? And he says the steeler was Robbie Flint? Tom, you're pulling our leg aren't you, old buddy? Not about Robbie, but about being there...?
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Reba's husband and ex steel player is in fact Norvel Blackstock as mentioned previously. He is originally from the Ft. Worth Texas,(Burleson Tx at the south edge of FT Worth, more than likely as that his where his parents have resided for the 45 years I have known them).

Norvel played for Joe Paul Nichols around Ft Worth in his earlier years, also for Bob Wills and The Inspirationals a nationally known Southern Gospel group.( Bob of course was not the Bob Wills of Western Swing fame, but from the well known Wills Family, a well known Southern Gospel group for at least 50 years,also from Ft Worth).

According to his Mom and Dad, Norvel sold his steel guitar several years ago and does not play anymore.

Fortunately, at least for Norvel, he had already been promoted from Reba's road manager to her business manager at the time of the plane crash that wiped out her band.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by louie hallford on 14 September 2002 at 09:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Norvel was a good steel player. And, I couldn't make it to the concert that night.
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Do I win anything?