the Big E at Scotty's

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce W Heffner

the Big E at Scotty's

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

Buddy really nailed it on his sets. My personal favorites of Wills Point and Blue Jade were covered with Buddy adding a new version of Blue Jade. His new tune, "Unknown Shuffle", is a classy number also. The set with Hal Rugg was the best I have ever heard two pedal steels steels work together. Hats of to Hal Rugg and the Maestro. This was the best convention of the nine I have attended. The Scott family really deserves the credit for making all this possible.

Bruce

------------------

www.pedalsteel.net
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

It looked like the attendance for Buddy's set on friday was standing room only. His booth was so busy throughout the weekend, that I was even feeling worn down Image It looked like the only way for Buddy and Peggy to get a break was to shut down and go to their room and rest a while.
You could see the respect and admiration in the faces of everyone that ventured up to the Buddy Emmons booth for snapshots, conversation and purchases. Also, behind every great man is a great lady. A perfect match.
And if Buddy ever decides to retire from the stage, hopefully the two of them will continue to cast that "aura" at the steel guitar conventions around the country.
Dennis
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

It was a treat to see Buddy, but I feel Friday night's set ended up featuring Darrell McCall, not Buddy!
I mean, he is a good singer and it's nice to hear Buddy back him up, but the guy wouldn't leave and was very chatty up there, hawking CD's, etc.
At the end of the set the crowd insisted on an encore.... Darrell figured it was for him and came back and sang yet another one.
It's OK to have a singer do a couple of songs, but close to 30 minutes is too much.
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

I agree, Tony. Darrell talked way too much. He forgot that it was not about him. Buddy was truly incredible--I got plenty of those "steel chills."
Eddie Lange

Post by Eddie Lange »

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa guys, I have to interject here. Buddy got plenty of time to shine. Darrell is one of the greatest country singers alive today. And what better to hear Buddy play his classic shuffle style behind a guy who can REALLY SING it. Plus, him and Buddy go back a long ways and it was great to hear the old stories. Darrell was just as much a featured artist as Buddy. It was THEIR set. And they both brought the house down and the crowd to their feet.
Dirk B

Post by Dirk B »

It was an absolutely thrill and kick to see Buddy live again. What tone and taste. Still the greatest.

I think we all appreciate him & Peggy coming to the show, spending so much time at their booth, and being so gracious to all of the fans.
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

I have to agree with Tony and Frank on this one, about half way through his 'set' Darrel said something like "I don't want to horn in on Buddy's spot" To which I responded "Too late for that!" One shuffle and Nightlife would have been enough of him for me and I really let out a groan when he came back on for the encore. I couldn't tell if Buddy was enjoying it or not. Later that night my friend suggested that maybe Buddy didn't want the spotlight the whole time not knowing how his wrist might hold up. In any event it was great to see him at the show and on stage and I hope it was as enjoyable for him as it was for us.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

It would have been great to see Buddy even if he didn't play, but I'm sure glad he did.
My wife came to the show late Saturday just so she could see and hear Buddy's set on Sunday. And in her own words, or something like them, she said " I got to see and hear John Hughey, Russ Hicks, Jimmy Crawford, Laney Hicks, Tommy White , Ralph Mooney, Jim Cohen, Smiley Roberts ,David Spires , Hal Rugg and a few more as a reward for making the trip just to see Buddy !" How 'bout that..!
tp<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 03 September 2002 at 11:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Earl Yarbro

Post by Earl Yarbro »

To me, Buddy showed us what he can do backing up a great singer, Darrell, as well as showing his Genious as a solo player also.
He showed us some fills and turnarounds that i'v never heard, and I love the combination.
Darrell was outstanding anyway but having the Big E back him made cold chills run up and down my back. I'll take that combination anytime.

Mr. Emmons, this was my first time to have the opportunity to see you in person. It was worth the 700 mile drive to come and see you. Hope you make it to Dallas next year!

Earl Yarbro
Zum D10-8/4
ZB D-10-11/4
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

As usual, I thought Buddy was awesome! He demonstrated that he continues to come up with new ideas that are executed flawlessly and smooth as silk. Hats off to you Buddy! We're so glad you're back doing the Convention again! ...Lefty
Buddy Emmons

Post by Buddy Emmons »

Thank to Bruce and everyone else for the nice words. I can appreciate the McCall comments, as I knew from experience that it might not work for everybody. When I booked the convention at the first of the year, my wrist and my attitude weren't quite as rosy, so Jay Jessup's friend was correct about my doubts at the time as to whether I could do a full thirty minute set without problems. Seven months later, I'm happy to say things are much better, but I appreciate Darrell being there for me. Most of all, Peggy and I enjoyed being able to visit with all the old friends again. We both thank you and wish you all the best.
Buddy
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Buddy was the usual Big E, IMHO. But if he was off his game... which he wasn't... I would've understood given his problems with the osteoarthritis.

Yeah, Darrell yakked a little too much, and we were all there to see E. But I've worked with Darrell, and lemme tell ya, he has more fun onstage than anyone in the audience and he just got enthusiastic up there. Plus, it was one of the biggest crowds ever and so I can understand his being psyched up.

We all have our heroes... Lloyd, Doug, etc. Loving one most does not require diminishing the others as has been done on other threads. For me, Buddy is the lighthouse that brings my ship back to the harbor. I seek the light no matter how brightly it shines.

<font size=1>And he knows a hell of a lot about Band In A Box!!</font>

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Charles McGough

Post by Charles McGough »

AMEN Herb!!!!!!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Buddy,

I just had a thought regarding your osteoarthritis. You've probably got all the advice you can use on your particular circumstance, but I you might want to check into what worked for pro golfer Bob Murphy.

Murphy gave up playing the PGA Tour for many years and continued his leave even after turning 50 and becoming eligible for the Sr. PGA Tour. As I understand it, he did this because of a painful arthritic condition in his hands. Then suddenly about 6-7 years ago he began yet another treatment regimen with some new drug. It was so successful in treating his case that he went back to playing professionally on the Sr. PGA Tour.

I'm sorry I don't know more of the details of his case and the successful treatment.

Thanks for a fantastic show in St. Louis and very best wishes to you.

Ron

------------------
HagFan

Bill Bailey

Post by Bill Bailey »

I haven't posted for a while, so here goes. The last convention I went to was when Darrell and Buddy did their set together, by your comments it sounds pretty much like they performed a similar set. I loved it and made a recording on a small cassette I took to the hall. I like to ride my bike and listen to that tape while I get lost in all that beautiful music. I have the CD of Darrell called Pictures Can't talk Back with Buddy on steel. Buddy plays so many tasty phrases I think this is a must own for anyone who loves the real traditional shuffle country. I beleive he tastefully uses a some of the F# to G# 1st string and 2nd string D# to E unison licks that have been discussed in the forum on another thread. .I hope Buddy can be healed from the health problem he is having. Thanks for listening.
Bill Bailey

------------------
Ronald Riddle

Post by Ronald Riddle »

Buddy
Thank you for the Buisness Card.It is unique.

Ron Riddle
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I didnt get to stay for Sundays show. Had to get that long drive behind me. Getting to hear Mr. Buddy Emmons LIVE for the first time and getting to meet him was definately one of the high points of the show for me. Absolutely incredible!! For sure one of the greatest tallents to ever set behind the steel guitar. Thanks for a memory I'll cherich forever Mr. Emmons.

Rick Garrett
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

I've never seen Buddy perform live until last Friday evening and I must say everything musically was there and then some. The biggest impression that is still with me today is how he is a part of the score. Kinda like a 17 year old tennis star, full of fortified energy, spunk and preciseness. I hope the obvious enjoyment Buddy gets out of pedal steel is shared with all of us for many years to come. BTW Buddy, the best therapy for what ails you is to keep you mind and thoughts young.
Meanwhile, my friend Jessup has been inspired to remove the drape off his steel and I will now increase my daily practice time by 50%. Jay and I caught a little verbal flak from our better halfs..............oh well! When the holidays come around this year I'll wrap myself up in reusable gift wrap. How about you Jay?
Gary Lee Gimble
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

While some Forumites complained about Darrell's singing role as it related to Mr. Emmon's featured spot......I have to ask this question:
For those pedal pickers that just don't know when to pick and when to be quiet; or what kind of fill to put behind the vocalist and what kinds of fills to AVOID putting behind the singer; did you learn ANYTHING by watching and listening to what Mr. Emmons did behind the singer?
There were NONE of those shrill, 64 note runs, measure after measure during the vocal; there were none of those flatted or exagerated or wiggly bar movements while the singer was holding a long note.
It seems to me Buddy sent out a STRONG MESSAGE on how back-up SHOULD BE PLAYED behind a singer. When he did play, he accented what the singer provided and in no way distracted from it.
The one's that might have benefited most from Buddy's display on how to deliver steel guitar backup.......very likely missed the entire point. I wonder....Hmmmm?
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Buddy blessed my picks at his booth. I played Saturday night and think it really helped. Thanks, Buddy and we all hope you'll play the convention again.

------------------

Doug Earnest
The only Zum Keyless U12, Fender Cyber Twin

Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I enjoyed it all period. I've made a tape from the live show on video July 9th at the show in Tennessee. Sounds like I hear that definitive Emmons sounds there. It wasn't a P/P but it sure sounds great to me. I heard them all but you're still the man Buddy. That show just isn't the same without you.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Yes! Big E was on and absolutely spanked that Emmons guitar. One of the main reasons I learned to play and continue to learn.