Are there Subjects or Issues that haven't been on the For

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ed Naylor

Are there Subjects or Issues that haven't been on the For

Post by Ed Naylor »

There has been post about Guitar color,Aluminumn neck vs Wood,String breakage, pedal setups etc.I would like to see posts about getting the Steel more in the public and possibly generating new players and Steel supporters.The average person the street doesn't know "Diddly Squat" about Steel Guitars. To prove my point the next time you are at Wal-Mart or McDonald checkout, ask the cashier if they"Know What a Steel Guitar is."Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

There actually have been quite a number of postings related to trying to raise the profile of the steel guitar. Just the many topics on Robert Randolph alone usually include discussions of how he is showcasing the steel guitar for the younger crowd. The debate usually comes down to everyone's differing ideas as to why the steel does not have the visibility it should have, and what, if anything, should be done to correct that.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

The CMT show, "Honky-Tonk Sound", shown last night and throughout this weekend had a very nice portion on the steel guitar, even showing how the feet work the pedals to create "that" sound. Image Read about it here: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/002443.html
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

I shure do miss some nice hilarious topics where everybody would jump on.
Never ment on a agressive way, but so wrong and stupid that we all had fun!!
How about: Image :

'Hey, PF stole my licks !! '

'Buddy E, sorry to say I would play that song better then you'

'Lloyd, let me explain that that change is wrong upthere'

'Smiley, loose that mustache!'

'My wife left me and took the steelguitar, I got the hairdryer and the cat!'

Who knows what we can expect in the future on the forum............. Image
www.steeljj.com

Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

Hi there Ed,

What I do is to make up tri-fold leaflets on the 'putor and distribute them around the music stores here on the Island mentioning where to see steels in action etc.. this always is welcomed by the store owners as is makes way for them to possibly cash in on the act.

Like you mention - most people don't know what a steel guitar is - surely it's in all our best interests to make sure people know what they are??

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Most nearly a hundert years ago....while just a young tyke in elementary school, we used to have assemblies.........

I recall a man/wife combination who would demonstrate dozens of musical instruments for the school....They might start with the woodwinds, then brass, percussion, etc. A short song would be performed on each instrument in each of those classifications.

Anything like that going on these days? It would be a great door opener, eh?
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I taught an 18 year old beauty queen to play the old hymn, "Keep On The Firing Line",
in a Southwest Mississippi Community College Stage Band performance. They did 4 shows, with a total of 3,500 patrons. I am sure most of them thought it was some kind of fancy keyboard. But, what do you do?

In 2001, I played for a "McDowell Music Club" brunch, demonstrating the steel with various sounds from the past, showing them how it works, and then playing 4-5 gospel instrumentals. I also played basically the same program for a 50+ group at a Baptist Church. I was to recieve an honorarium from the church gig, but didn't. Oh well.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 17 August 2002 at 01:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
erik

Post by erik »

I told my friend i liked steel guitar. She told me she preferred the sound of nylon strings. Image It's no use, people who like the sound will want to know what it is... and that's about it.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Yeah, most every topic has been beaten to death on here, but when people bring up the same topic again, it may get read or answered by members that missed the other posts on the topic. I know there are many times I see a topic on the forum that I might not just think of off the top of my head and do a search on (which seldom works for me anyway) that I get a lot out of.

As for the topic of getting new and younger people interested and playing the steel, that topic has also been beaten to death on here. We all know that we have to get the steel out in different genres of music for it to be seen and generate an interest among the younger generations. Now what we need to figure out, is how to get the people to know in their heart that the Steel Guitar is a great versatile intrument that they would enjoy playing. I know I still get excited when I see a harp (the stringed kind) player but it is not in my HEART to learn to play one. I think that is the key.

Now have we discussed the color of socks and it's effect on the tone of a '68 push pull? Image Image Image

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

DON ENGLE

Post by DON ENGLE »

yeah why do we always have to sound like someone else BE/LG/HR/TW/DH/ETC ETC WHY CANT WE HAVE OUR OWN SOUND?? has anyone ever told you you sound like Don Engle NO!!!!

------------------
Joel Glassman

Post by Joel Glassman »

Here's one:
"Why do people who aren't steel guitarists
hang out here?"
I'm highly qualified to answer. Image
Nice people, with common interests in music,
on a great site... Thanks b0b!
--Joel
Kenny Yates

Post by Kenny Yates »

The Dixie Chicks have brought a lot of attention to the Steel guitar. How about Natalie Maines daughter of legendary Steel Player Lloyd Maines. That is what Matt Lauer (sp) said on the today show.
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

Would Someone pic up ol Ed and haul his @!#$% out to saint louis.I,m flying,he won,t fly,he is strictley a road warrior, but I do think he would like to go and catch one of the best all time steel shows at Scotties.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Ed Naylor.......has ANYONE ever brought up the topic of which is better: "Push Pull or All Pull?" Just curious. I might have missed it. HUmmmmmmm

Don Engle..no one has EVER told me that I sounded like YOU.......but one guy did hollar out that he tho't I sounded like.........???.... I didn't quite catch the name but it didn't sound like Engle.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

To Ray:

A number of years ago, inbetween bands, I looked into doing some kind of presentation for school systems.

I was directed to the "Oregon Arts Commission" at the time, and it looked like there was a pretty easy process of submittal.

As I became older, sadly, my playing style has become more "combat oriented", as you witnessed the other night and my dismay at the state of public education is getting a little hard to conceal.

I have strayed from the point of being able to sit down and go through a solo rendition of "Blue Darlin'" or "Sweet Lorena", much less "Autumn Leaves" or other stand-alones.

Mostly it's a series of 200 watt paybacks for the previous walk over of leads, ( I get a kick out of Monty) or providing a rythym section to a couple guys playing along on drums and bass with my picks superglued to my bloodblistered fingers.. (ya-know-what-I-mean-vern?)

Not that I don't thrive on it..

If you give it a shot, you might want to dust off the old "Llama", for Jefferson, Madison, Lincoln, and Ockley Green....

Nice to see you and meet the Better Half.

Thanks for your presence and forbearance.

Now I know what a Daveno is.

Canby Fair deal today, and Sun-Thurs again next week with the day thing.

Tired Old Eric West.

"Sometimes I run out of Adrenaline, but I still have plenty of Gall" -Me-
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

I don´t know if this has ever been brought up:
Reactions of people who have ABSOLUTELY no idea what a steel guitar is, the first time they hear one. Example: a secretary in the company where I´m working (and that I have a bit of a crush on so I wanted to impress her). I gave her a copy of my first demo CD with my band (which has steel all over it). After she had listened to it, she said: "Nice music, but - how about you? Are you audible at all?" Image
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

ERIC! What a great post! By the way, what would you take for that one-of-a-kind Sho-Bud
with the Cadillac emblem thereon, plus the variety of ad-ons that you've made to it?
You could probably come away with a brand new Mullen, Rusler, Wheeler or whatever!
Do keep those enlightening posts a comin'.
Formites: This man is one of the finest pickers you're ever going to hear. Texas is BIG......but Oregon has Eric West! He's dynamic, commercial, personalable, swavee and deboner even kinda steel player. Catch him at Jubitz as noted above. What a treat!
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Ray, Ray..

You're too kind..

You're the guy I used to watch on TV here and see at county fairs with Heck Harper, playing more stuff than I'll *ever know* waayy before I was stealing cars..

I recently was asking Larry Behm about the different kinds of steels out there that I might "move up to" Mentioned were Zum, Mullen, MSA, and everything but the Local brand here..

He asked me jus what kind of Steel I liked the best. Other than an old Dekley I remember playing at one of the Jams, I had to admit that it's Sho-Bud. Kind of like the "Telecaster" to guys that like them, and nothing else..

I have an old proII in the basement anteroom that I'd like to redo the basket type undercarriage with ProIII type fittings and maybe add an upper knee lever to lower the Bs or G#s. They seem to be hardware store type fittings, and I hear Felix James, the Builder of the One Birdseye Sierra in History, might have in his war room.

Too bad Danny Shields isn't around to wind the pickups like the ones I'm using on the III.

Daveno. Got it.

What the hell is a Deboner?

Don't tell me...

Thanks for the kind words Old Friend.

Tired Old Eric West.

"There are only so many ways to fry cat food."
-Buster Newberry-
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

Ed, I've been down here in this retirement comunity for close to three months now. I've met a lot of really nice people between here and a church we've been going to and became Menbers of this past Sunday. We talk about what are hobbies are and things like that but when I bring up the word pedal steel guitar not one has any idea what it is. These are people that listened to every kind of music there is....except not much country.

But when one comes over to the house and they see what the pedals and knees do, you can see the surprised look on there face and most of them say, i've heard that sound before but I didn't know what was making it.

Bob.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Hi Ed, I tried to do my bit. Back in the 50's I was teaching in Traverse City, Mich and had my students play in the National Cherry Festival Parade on a big wagon in the parade.

I got a picture of me on the stage leading them I had guitars and steel guitars both. Everybody liked it. There was also a float with all Accordions led by the famouse Joe Dolan.

I was playing with the Joe Dolan trio at the Park Pace Hotel , Accordian , Bass and me on guitar and Pedal guitar.

We did a Charity thing , at the high school auditorium during Cherry Festival week.

I played Alvino Rey's version of St.Lous Blues with the talking part using the tone control.

We played that thing, and brought down the house. All those kids loved it!

I hope out of those 50's a few good guitar and steel guitar kids were a little inspired......al Image Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 27 August 2002 at 10:40 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

Hi there Ed,
Here's one that might not have been covered -"what do we use to get ourselves and our equipment to the job" ? I guess that years ago most steelers I ever saw packing and unpacking their gear was some kind of station waggon or the like out of the era.

The most weird thing I ever saw on a regular basis was the guy unpacking all his gear from an old Stieb single seat sidecar and Velocette Motorcycle - come rain or shine!!! - now that's enthusiasm for you!!!

I know that some guys pack their steels already set up - which has it's good and bad points, personaly I like to think that keeping it in its case is where it's most safe.

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

A fella stopped by the shop yesterday in a Chrysler PT Cruiser. That would make a neat little wagon to haul quite a lot of music equipment in, in style. You could put 2 Nashville amps, a steel and seat in the back compartment. Just open the hatchback and there it is, at a good height for unloading. The rear seats also fold down for more storage. Room, style and good mileage. I wouldn't want to be in one in a wreck, though.

I've had several SUV's and they work well. A minivan is probably the most praactical. A pickup truck didn't work too well for me.

------------------

Doug Earnest
The only Zum Keyless U12, Fender Cyber Twin

Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

There have been discussions about having equipment stolen . I have said a way to stop this ,is to have an old windowless van that is beat up, and have printed on the sides- PUGH and PUGH SEPTIC TANK CLEANERS. I guarantee no one will break in. ED