Do women like the sound of pedal steel?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Not particularly. Image
Tony Farr

Post by Tony Farr »

Yes Bill, I do call her that, plus she can change a broken string before the rest of the guys get through playing the song. How many other wives of steel players do you know that can do that??
Danny Hullihen

Post by Danny Hullihen »

Tony. I can relate to that. My wife can do that too. Unfortunately, she doesn't make it to very many of my gigs.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

I can't tell if Danny breaks a lot of strings or just misses his wife. Image
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

LOL C# !!!...only 1 huh??...or was your double post submitted upon further reflection? Image.
btw, the current source of MY alternating joy & heartache thinks that the '65 wraparound sitting in our bedroom is the perfect place to let some clothing air dry after doing her laundry, so i guess that qualifies as liking the instrument Image
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

My wife doesn't care for it at all, however she lets me do what I want.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom; Sho-Bud LLG

Chippy Wood

Post by Chippy Wood »

No I don't play that well, but I bet it would bring them in droves if I was to play the steel when I was wearing my kilt.

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Carter S10/Pad

Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

The comment about hearing high and low frequencies is more than just theory. Women, for the most part (but not not all of them) do hear higher frequencies than average (but not all) men. Haven't any of you noticed that guys usually turn the treble up on the home stereo system, then the wife comes along and turns it down, even if she likes the music? The third string on the E-9th tends to grate on a woman's nerves but that doesn't mean she doesn't like steel guitar.
Incidentally, I increased my popularity
years ago by tuning my E-9th neck to Eb-9th,
but I confess I still miss the playing positions, both open & closed.
Sincerely,
W.C.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Back when I started out in the 80's, Rock'a'billy here in Europe was back big time. So, that's where I had my first tries on the steel and with women too. These Rock'a'billy "concerts" could turn out quite wild and I guess we all thought it was fun. Once I plaid some harsh version of a Wabash Canonball (sort'a), sitting on the edge of the stage with my lap steel and a girl dancing quite wildly in front of me suddently turned around, looked at me playing and sreamed "I wanna f--- you"! I lost control and changed key a couple of times in less than a bar's time and the whole band exploded in laughs. The rest of the story is none of your business Image.
But to tell you the truth.. I never really found out if it was the steel or just me Image

... J-D.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Some years back I was playing a College Club in Athens, GA with John Berry. The gals in that club were always wild and the place was so packed we couldn't get off the stage in between sets, so chasing after someone was out of the question. I had a really nice 1" bar that a metal-worker student had kindly custom made for me (and of which I was really fond). I had set the bar down standing upright on my steel to get up and play a tune on guitar when a real doll slid out of the crowd in front, picked up my bar and with a sly wink slid it down the front of her dress, turning and disappearing into the crowd. Where it ended up is anybody's guess... (cue Steely Dan music)...
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

I have found that they feel it is good music to pack and leave by! Image

Tommy Minniear
Fred Murphy

Post by Fred Murphy »

I have played drums, bass, guitar, and steel over the years, and I have found that they like the singer better than all the musicians put together. Image They seem to have no preference as to what you play.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

One of my co-workers (female) at the Coroner's office told me one day that she really likes country music (NCS), now that they don't play that whiney thing much anymore. I told "I guess you like mexican food too, as long as they don't put any
Chili in it. Go Figure. Maybe we should tell all the girls that we definitely do play a keyboard. Image
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

I don't know about PEDAL steel but....

My forthcoming book on Sacred Steel will address the topic of women and steel guitarists to a degree. Not to give it all away, but there is a story told by Willie Eason of how one woman removed her panties, threw them on his lap steel and told him he could have "everything that goes inside them." Another time the sound of his steel excited a woman to such a degree that she sat on his steel to make him stop playing because she couldn't stand it. Willie says it took three men to get her up. Willie used to hide his wife when he played street corners for tips because the women tipped better when Jeannette was not visible. There are many more stories along these lines, and of course, they are all absolutely true.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 16 August 2002 at 09:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

My wife fell in love with the steel and after 19+ years, she still loves to hear me play that thing. She listens to the songs and picks out who the steeler is. When we were dating, I made a tape of several songs with the likes of Curly Chalker playing and after all these years, she still has that tape and counts it as a treasure. Obviously I count her as a treasure.
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

They do... just not when I'm playing it....
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

My wife sounds like a chain saw,nag nag de nag nag nag naggity nag nag.
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

My wife loves sounds like a chain saw,nag nag de nag nag nag naggity nag nag.
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

My new wife loves to hear me play steel while she cooks for me...eat yer hearts out, fellas! Image

------------------

Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

WEll I hate to say it, but my wife absolutely hates the sound of the steel guitar, and she is a musician with a Masters degree in music-(I think that is the problem Image ) Anyway, it aint just me, I have played her recordings of Buddy Emmons and she cringes at the sound of it. But she loves the banjo, so that makes me happy ! Image Go figure ?! I really dont think it is a gender thing-I know men who hate and love the steel as well as women who love and hate it.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Lenhart on 25 August 2002 at 06:53 AM.]</p></FONT>
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

<SMALL>she is a musician with a Masters degree in music-(I think that is the problem ) Anyway, it aint just me, I have played her Buddy Emmons and she cringes at the sound of it. But she loves the banjo </SMALL>
so guys, what can we conclude here? Image

JJ www.steeljj.com
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

We need to get her into one of those 12 half-step programs before it's too late.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

What can we conclude here?....

Sarah Jory must be a woman with balls...

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom; Sho-Bud LLG

Henning Kock

Post by Henning Kock »

26.aug.2002
I have seen on this forum 2 psycological explanations to this matter:
1) The steel guitar sounds like another woman, so wifes are jaloux.
2) The steel guitar sounds like a baby crying, so wifes think the baby is in pain and not helped.
Kind regards,
Henning
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Henning Kock
(pedal steel guitar, piano, keyboards, vibraphone)
Henning K. Music
111 Aarhusvej
DK-8300 Odder
Denmark,
Europe
phone 8654 2959
--------------------------------------------
e-mail address: henningkmusic@hotmail.com
webpages:
pedal steel guitar: www.geocities.com/Nashville/1520 www.steelguitardanmark.subnet.dk (information)
piano & keyboard: www.sitecenter.dk/henning-kock www.danskmusik.com/dmfbook/selskab/html/henning_kock.html
and for musical instrument products wholesale (to dealers): www.henningkmusic.subnet.dk
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

------------------
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i've been ROTFLMAO since i jumped in this thread.
my wife likes the sound of the Steel and does'nt eve say a discomfortin' word about mah Steel or my playin'.(she does'nt have a Masters degree...)
now if i could only fall into Womens arms without falling into their hands.
Henning you've got a good point.
Steel Love 'em... Image

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 26 August 2002 at 08:48 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 26 August 2002 at 08:50 AM.]</p></FONT>