strings

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Buchanan

strings

Post by Steve Buchanan »

I hope you guys can help...which strings are the best? which give the best tone, stay in tune longer, and go between breaks longer?
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Paul Bigsby steel guitar strings.... I still have a full set on my 1956 Quad. Sound great.
Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

The Jagwires are very highly regarded.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Cobra Coils from Steel Guitar Nashville. Image
patrick donovan

Post by patrick donovan »

Jagwire.

Regards, Patrick
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Silent Series from Frenchy's. Jody.
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

GeorgeL's are hard to beat.

------------------

Sidney Malone

Post by Sidney Malone »

I've had great luck with GHS.
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

Steve,

We always ask what is best. Often it just comes down to what you like. I have tried GHS Boomers, Cobra Coils, Jagwire, Ernie Ball, etc.... I have a preference for Jagwire. If you change strings a regular basic it would be rare to break one except for the 3rd (.011)
John Hawkins

Post by John Hawkins »

Stainless Steel S.I.T.'s have been my choice for many years . I have always had great service and sound out of each and every one of them .

John
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

SIT strings have given me great service.
Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Post by Ricky Littleton »

GHS Super Steels for me for sure. Get lot's of mileage and keep good tune and tone.

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Dan-Echo, E-Bow

Marty Pollard

Post by Marty Pollard »

GHS semi-flats
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

excellent service from Cobra Coils from Steel Guitar Nashville.
tp
Derek Duplessie

Post by Derek Duplessie »

I hear that Franklin strings last for a LONG
time! Great tone too! -Derek
Steve Buchanan

Post by Steve Buchanan »

Thanks guys. Sounds like there are as many preferences as there are players. Does that third string break on everyone else too or is it just from playing (trying to) every day. Maybe I'm trying too hard.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I have used only John Pearse strings exclusively for several years. I order individually, enough for 10 sets for each neck on each order plus extra E9 3s,5s,and an occaional 10th. Big John
Sam Minnitti

Post by Sam Minnitti »

I have had great success with Cobra Coils from www.steelguitar.net

Steve, you’re not alone on string 3 going ‘pop’. Get a whole pack of them so you have them on hand.

Sam

------------------
www.samminnitti.com
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

I've been cleaning my strings for years, it works great and brings back the "twang", it removes the oil and stuff from the windings which mutes the string robbing tone and sustain, the method I use is this, lay about 6 pages thick of newspaper under the strings completely covering the fretboard and pickup, get a can of electrical or brake drum cleaner and spray this on a clean small rag and really wipe the strings down over and over, the wound strings need the most attention, they will start squeaking, (means they are clean), this takes 2 minutes and the tone is restored to about 80% or more of the tone of a new string, this chemical is strong and can leave a permanent blemish on finished wood or paint so be careful, I've never had a problem as long as you use 6 or more pages of paper, I keep strings on for up to 2 years
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Wow! All that mess for 80%? Change them strings!
Tony Orth

Post by Tony Orth »

Steve,

I have changed to an .0115 (or 11 1/2 as we call it) and that reduces some of the string breakage. I also like the feel of it better.

In addition, since I play out every weekend, I change my third string every week. I'd rather spend the $40-50 per year than have the string break during a solo, and the inconvenience of changing on stage. (Not to mention that it used to scare the cr-- out of me) Since I've been doing this (about a year) I haven't broke a third string.

Best Wishes
Tony

Steel Rockin' in Indiana<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tony Orth on 16 August 2002 at 01:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Matt Steindl

Post by Matt Steindl »

OK, I have mentioned this on about 3 different threads, and I have yet to get an adequate response from someone in the know.

My understanding, is that there are very few string manufacturers in the whole world, and they simply licence their strings to different wholesalers. So in essence, Jagwire, SST, and GeorgeL, might all be identical strings manufactured by Martin(I know Martin just bought a string mfging facility in the past few years). Can anyone coroborate this, or am I way off base?

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Close Matt, but Jagwire and Geo.L. are not related by a common manufacturer. I know which manufacturers build which strings and for whom they build them. It would be totally unethical to say on this forum or any other as the "string distrubuters" don't want these things known and it would serve no perpose to do so. I have seen many folks put down one string and brag about another brand that is actually the identical product with only a different color envelope. So I watch this type of thread with a lot of humor. There are three brands that are paying the price to obtain the finest wire.
I think most of you know what one of them must be.( no commercial here).
Matt Steindl

Post by Matt Steindl »

Thanks Bobbe! Can you give me a ballpark on how many actual manufacturers there are in the whole world? All of the musicians that I know are very brand loyal when it comes to strings, but just like you said, I think it is hilareous when people agrue vehemently that "super duper strings" are far superior to "duper super strings" when in actuality they are identical. Thanks again Bobbe!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

You have to determine if you like Stainless Steel or Nickle for the wound strings.

There's a big difference, and no one answer.
It depends on what you like to hear and your style of playing. Try each and decide over time.

My preference is George L Stainless.