Don West Passes Away

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck Campbell

Don West Passes Away

Post by Chuck Campbell »

It is with much sadness that I make this post. My friend Don West died this afternoon at approximately 3 PM at the home of his ex wife, Louise in Nashville. He had been in bad health for some time and was under Hospice care. Earlier today I was asked to do a benefit for him here in Northern Virginia where Don has so many friends and fans. I had been making contacts and arraignments all day when I got the call that he had died. He thought he had a life insurance policy but had learned it was only an accidental policy. Needless to say his ex wife Louise could use financial help. She went to Arizona after Don’s current wife died a month or so ago and brought him back to TN where she could take care of him. I will post later on plans for the benefit and where anyone who would like to donate can do so.
Funeral arraignments are being made at Phillips Robertson Funeral Home
Gallatin, TN. 615-262-3312. Further post of arraignments will follow along with more on the life of this well-known and talented Steel Player.

------------------
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Sorry to intrude but was Don also Dottie's ex-husband? I have always wondered, as he was a steel player also.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Al Miller

Post by Al Miller »

IT'S A SAD,SAD DAY IN THE STEEL GUITAR COMMUITY TODAY !! WE HAVE LOST ANOTHER LEGEND BOYS!!! :0( LETS ALL SAY A PRAYER FOR DON AND NEVER FORGET HIM!!!! HE DOES AND WILL FOREVER LIVE AND PLAY IN MY MIND!!

I WILL MISS YOU MY FREIND!!
LOVE
BOO MILLER
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I had a good long phone conversation with Don a couple of months ago, and I am saddened by this news. I've never heard him play, but I understand he was a great musician.

Dottie's husband was Bill West, incidentally. He's still with us, as far as I know.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Ric Nelson

Post by Ric Nelson »

Chuck:
Please let us know as soon as you get more information. At this point it looks like he will be buried Saturday in the Middle Tennessee Vet Cemetery in I-40, but that is nor firm from what I understand.

Ric
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Proud to have known him, and been able to finally get the permission to use his name as my Stage Name for the last 23 years.

I met him while I was stationed at Andrews AFB in 75-79. I was taking lessons at Oxon Hill Music from Mr.Charleton, and every evening would find me just off base at the Village Barn watching Smokey Mack, Fuzzy Groves, Herbie Jones, and Wally Simms.

Don was with Jimmy Groves, Mary Burgess et al in "The Nashville Sound" on Sundays and Mondays,and sometimes Fridays and Saturdays.

After taking hours a day running through Buddy's lessons til I was blue in the face, getting them perfect if I could, it was the best thing for me to hang out and hear Don put his heart out there. GOD DAMN, he could throw a intro! Slide up that screaming AB E lower on the 5 chord, play that old pull off G major scale on the C neck, throw the nite life turn around ANYWHERE, and SELL IT!

I'd bug him on the breaks to show me stuff, and more than once a nite he'd never get off the bandstand before the next set.

Always was ready with a funny story, or joke, and never was too important to talk to anybody.

I drank in those times, and got pretty close to drunk more than once. I remember Don gettin about as close as a guy can get without being drunk. NEVER noticed any difference in his playing. Seemed to play with more heart, if anything.

I learned to play like I MEANT IT, from Don, Learned to play the stuff I learned from Buddy with my Heart, and learned just how loud a guy can get with those first four strings..

I had a good long talk with him when his illness was mentioned on the Forum a couple months ago. He didn't make much of it, but I got the idea that he was trying to make what he could of it. Said he'd been playing in the living room and had been working under the sink when I called.

Told me that Fuzzy had died, that Smokey was in bad shape, as was Wally, and we went on to talk about how Mary Burgess' Husband the PG Covnty Detective had pointed his gun at both of us for stupid reasons....

Also, belatedly, he gave me full permission to use his name.

I don't know what I'd have done iff'n he'd said no. Probably change it to Eric Behm..

God Bless you Don West, You had the Hands and Heart of a True Master, and a Heart of Gold.

You taught me the most.

I can still hear that screaming Intro to "Somebody Somewhere" and see old Mary B rise to the occaision..

It's all still travelling out there.

Play On, Old Friend Image

Eric West
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I feel fortunate to have seen him in person a half-dozen times when he was living in this area. His monicker "the chord king" was well deserved...he knew the C6th like few others. He will certainly be missed.
Hap Young

Post by Hap Young »

Im really sorry to hear of Dons passing. I met Don just about two months ago when I bought a D10 Sierra session from him. I called and talked to him to see how he was doing and he told me that he was leaving for Nashville the next day. Im glad to have met him and to pray with him, and I believe that he is in a much better place now playing with a guitar where the third string never breaks. Praise the LORD Don.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I am sooooo sorry to hear of this....

damn.

at the first Steel Jam at Wheaton VFW (what later became steelin for hearts) Don got trapped on stage for a few sets of "guest vocalists" with no opportunity for a break... he caught my eye as I passed in front of the stage and said "I have to pee so bad I can taste it!" then launched into a chord solo from Mars on whatever shuffle they were playin'...

absolutely the chord King....

Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Eric Behm?????

Eric Richenbacher.....Eric Emmons....Eric Sho-Bud, but Eric Behm.

Not commercial enough!
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

To Dave: "From Mars".. I about busted a gut.

(It's hard to type..) Yeah, and one of his faves was to bounce the major seventh and/or major 9 C6 pedals at the I III IV V and IV, scream out a monster chromatic and by the time the V chord came around he'd handle a diminished at agumented intervals til every musician in the house would have killed the whole band had the chord *not* resolved.. God, that man played with *balls*!!

(The large bar and three fingerpicks worked wonders for him, tho I never tried them.)

I remember a front person was short on words, and being the master of off mike comment, Don went (off mike) "Tell them about the Hepatitis Epidemic" it went on and on.

The other member of his band that really shone was Jimmy Groves, in my estimation the Telecaster King. I understand he took instruction from Jango, and played the Truest Telecaster Tublar Quack so's you'd see sparks. That'd fire Don up, and on would come the old G major hammer on scale, up to the E9 and blast off again. I suppose the hapless vocalist was sometimes *upstaged*, but hell this isn't the "Vocalist Forum" now, is it? Image Image Image

It was good to be able to talk with Don, and I've been able to do a lot of reflection since.

What a guy.

Like I said:

"It's all out there".

Play On Old Friend.. Image

Thanks.

Eric West
Bud Isaacs

Post by Bud Isaacs »

We are so sorry to hear about Don. He was not only a great Steel Player, but also a great guy. He was always concerned about Geri and I, when we lost our son last March. We shared alot of memories on the phone talking about old times and other fellow Steel Players, past and present. I will miss those visits with you Don. God Bless, Bud and Geri
Al Miller

Post by Al Miller »

there you go folks!!
when the great bud Isaacs say's your a great player then you must be in the hall of fame even. if your not up for induction!
thanks bud for he kind words about don he truley was a great player we will all miss him..
BOO