What line of work....made it possible for you to play steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Watson

Post by Jeff Watson »

OK Ray, I've really enjoyed reading everyone elses responses, so I guess I owe one. I spent the last twenty years or so in Hawaii and like most new arrivals I did a lot of waiting on tables and bartending so I could spend my days in the surf and do some picking. I already had a sailing background so I got a Captains license and started working the tour boats. Spent 4 years building a 50' sailing catamaran and then ran my own charter boat business on Maui until it became a job (has anybody guessed yet that I'm not married). Moved back to L.A. to take care of my parents and because I can play way more steel here than in Hawaii, go figure that one.
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

Ray, I am 51 years old. Here's how my approx. 35 years of working time has been divided so far(not in any order):
2 Years - Real estate salesman;
5 years - Mortgage Banking Industry;
2 Years - Media Relations (administrative);
6 months - Driver/Delivery;
I have also run my own businesses --
Nature's Door (Restaurant)
Quality Bowler's Assn. (Tournament Club)
Quality Employment Services (A unique service offering administrative help to job seekers);
37 Years - Guitar (performing, recording, teaching, etc.)
35 years - Keyboards (same as guitar);
9 Years - Pedal Steel Guitar (performing, recording);
I currently have the luxury of not having a day job, unless you include practicing the psg which I don't get paid for.
-- Marc

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Raymond
My first ambition was to be a sex maniac,,,,,
but I couldnt pass the physical. Image I tried but failed. Gotta run,,Im going to try to make a comeback.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 13 August 2002 at 08:27 AM.]</p></FONT>