What line of work....made it possible for you to play steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Allen

Post by Allen »

Retirement!!!!...26 months ago.
Pre-retirement and steel guitar learning, I was an Acquisition Mgr., Program Mgr., and Aerospace Engineer involved in the research and development of space systems. Twenty five years with the fed. gov., preceeded by thirteen years in the aerospace industry. Cut my space teeth on Apollo.
Primary engineering area was Radio Frequency communications systems.

------------------
Allen Harry
Mullen D-10, 8 & 6
Nashville 1000

Tim McCutchen

Post by Tim McCutchen »

I am a high school basketball coach for 24 years. I took a two year hiatus to be a route salesman for a grocer company but that wasn't for me and got back into education. I started playing 6 string at age 11 and then went to banjo and fiddle. Started playing steel in 1978 and played steel in a weekend band for 20 years. I kinda got burned out and put it under the bed for 4 years. Got it out last year, got a new Zum and having a ball learning new stuff again and trying to be a decent player again

------------------
'01 Zumsteel D-10 8&9
Evans Amp

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I picked up on the Dobro and lap steel when I was in college. I worked my way through school as a free lance photographer and processor in a custom photo lab. A couple of years after college I worked for my father who had a supply business to the millinery (hat) industry. I put my steel and Dobro away for about 15 years until I got on the internet and found this forum. Today I have two factories, a mail order business, a retail store , a showroom, and a wholesale warehouse. My line of work gives me very little time, or continuity of time to practice and play, but I do what I can. Sometimes I sit in with a guitarist on his gig in a beach town gin mill. Always an experience but fun and the folks like the "Dobro." I also have a collection of steels and resonators. I do what I can to promote steel guitar in my own way.
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

I used to be a telephone operator for more than 10 years, but in those days I played just guitar, not steel. That job drove me sick so one day I finally dropped out and decided to become an audio engineer because I wanted to do something music-related. However, it soon became apparent that I couldn´t handle it. Too complicated, and I met many a good musician who went that route and eventually had barely any time left for playing because the job was too demanding.
So after failing at the final exam, I got fed up and moved to Italy, where for the first time I did nothing but playing music, rock´n´roll, to be precise. It went well for a while, but then things went bad and I just couldn´t earn enough to make a living. It looked like there were better chances in Germany so I moved back. In the meantime I had discovered steel, which I liked so much better than guitar, and still pursued the dream of doing it professionally someday, but I obviously had to start from scratch. So in order to eke out a living I did low jobs such as washing dishes, which almost destroyed me. Somewhere in between I found out more about the music business and decided that I´d rather play how I like to instead of having to do everything that producers tell me and let agents put me under stress, even at the cost of not being able to make a living at it. Two years ago I was lucky to find a job that I like, I´m now in charge of the mail room and shipping of promotional items for a construction company. I don´t have to worry my head too much so I can think of pedal steels all day if I want to. At least I have the evenings for practicing and the weekends for playing out.
Not a very interesting story, but since Ray asked us again and again to tell him...

Regards, Joe H.
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

I'm a Clay Mineralogist/Surface Chemist/Soil Scientist. I spent 4 years mapping soils full-time for the USDA_Soil Conservation Service (now Natural Resources Coversation Service...), then 11 years at the University in a research capacity. Next came a short stint doing exploration for clay/bentonite deposits in remote parts of the West for an industrial minerals company. This was followed by 3 years as Chief (Process) Mineralogist for the 2nd largest gold company in the world. Now, I am an applications scientist for a branch of Philips that manufactures analytical equipment for the geological sciences.

Mostly, I'm a glorified dirt guy (and dilattante steel player, as I've been called).

------------------
<font size=2>'66 Emmons D10, Franklin D10, Fessenden (Giles) D10 lacquer, '36 Gibson EH-150 lap , ~'54 Rick Bakelite lap, <u>Tube</u> amps</font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 04 August 2002 at 01:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Thanx to Joe Henry and everyone else that has been kind enough to respond.

So much has been said about the decaying status of the steel guitar in today's music market. Guestimates have been posted about how many players will be here 25 years from now.

The factor that I find so impressive, is that right here among ourselves, today, we have really great people from all walks of life; professionals, white collar, blue collar, labor and the like.....who share but a single love.......that of the steel guitar.
We're not a bunch of loners that devote our lives to hanging around aimlessly in taverns and other dark seedy places.
We're individuals with strong, creative minds, often with technical backgrounds, higher education, and/or other technical skills...commited to learning one of the most difficult instruments around. Our desire for music is strong and overcomes most all negatives that pop up in our lives.
Thanks to this Forum, we have instant world-wide communciation capabilities with others just like us.
With this kind of solid foundation, I predict steel guitar will go on for ever!
Now, watsa matta with the remaining 3,000+ Forumites and even those in the shadows who read but don't play? Come on now. Your input is important here also. We're conducting a research project that could easily influence the future of the steel guitar for ever and even beyond.
Whether a beginner or top flight working professional......WE are what make steel guitar wonderful. It's the excitement of digging out the hard stuff then mastering it, often alone. That speaks very higly of steel guitar players. Let's hear from you!
Len Ryder

Post by Len Ryder »

Ray: Great posting.
Took lessons on a 6 string Hawaiian Guitar at age 12. Played my first dollar job at 14, quit school at 16 yrs. and began teaching. Had a job in a lumber mill as a young person for a couple of years (BAD SCENE) then went on the road in 1952. Took up the Barbering trade in 1958. Found out about pedals in the late 50's when I bought a 3 neck Sho-Bud from a friend in Vancouver, B.C. Spent a number of years playing at The New Frontier in Waikiki, Hawaii. Returned to Canada in 1967 and barbered during the day and "Steeling" at night..
Have done the full "music thing" ---- studio work, T.V., radio, touring (Canada, Europe), clubs & bars.
Am now retired in "rural" B.C., pick & grin in the family room and spend the winters in Yuma, Arizona where I get a chance to sit on my "Royal Canadian Butt" and sometimes work with real live musicians.
Been a great "GIG" !!!!!!!!
Larry Gerdeman

Post by Larry Gerdeman »

I'm am a pipefitter and certified welding instructor. I have been employed at the same job for years and this gives me alot of vacation time and personal days so I can make my schedule flexable.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

I'm an Agricultural Engineering student at the University of Idaho. Mostly a Farmhand for cash (except for this summer, I'm something like a "junior-deputy-assistent-WaterMaster". More time to practice, less cash for a better ax. I'm going to try to give music lessons a try this year for cash.
Jim West

Post by Jim West »

Well up until a few months ago I owned a CNC machine shop but the economy took a turn for the worse and now I'm unemployed which give more time to practice the worlds greatest instrument.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<SMALL>We're not a bunch of loners that devote our lives to hanging around aimlessly in taverns and other dark seedy places</SMALL>
Speak for yourself, Ray. Image
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I do mechanical engineering for the Power Systems division of General Electric, working on power plant turbines. I did the nuclear plant thing this spring for the first time, that's a different world! When not working on power plants, I work at Zumsteel. It's more fun than turbines and generators and much more rewarding, though not in the monetary sense. Money isn't everything. (But almost!)

------------------

Doug Earnest
The only Zum Keyless U12, Fender Cyber Twin

Bob Farlow

Post by Bob Farlow »

I'm a electronic engineer at Lockheed. I've been here since 1961. before that, I played steel for Bill Anderson for about five years.
Still here helping build the best military aircraft in the business. Saddam, you better watch out!
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Well now, Jim Cohen, I should've realized that some of "us" just might have friends in low places........ Didn't mean to slight anyone!

Having played my share of seedy bars and the like....starting at age 14 with a chaperogne (sp?).......

A lot of us do go there tho' to earn a few extra bucks and to satisfy the musical needs of "our" loyal audiences who crave to hear the sounds of the melodic steel guitar.

No offense intended.
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Interesting gig, Mr. Farlow. It is my understanding that Bill can whisper in any key. Is that true? Image
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

it's amazing how a Steel guitar can bring such a divers bunch of People together.
Steel gotta be more of 'em... Image
[url=http://http:monsite.wanadoo.fr/SteelGuitarFrance]Steel what?[/url]<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 06 August 2002 at 04:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
Chris Robbins

Post by Chris Robbins »

I work for the Illinois Dept of Transportation and here in the midwest I sing let it snow,let it snow ,let it snow so I can spend all that good overtime on neat steel guitar stuff.
Kim Altman

Post by Kim Altman »

I'm a legal assistant in NC. I've played 6-string guitar for as long as I can remember. Started playing the violin (no groans) in the 5th grade and played until I graduated and then with our community orchestra -- wasn't country enough for me! Image Messed with the banjo a little and jumped on the steel a couple of years ago. Went back to a band I played in about 15 years ago that's still playing that "ol' wore out stuff" (as our lead guitarist puts it) 'cause that's what we love (and I could play steel!) They put up with my steel playing to have me sing and play 6-string! Image It's a trade-off, but whatever gets me playing the steel, I don't mind!

I am also co-owner of a game business. We just came out with a horse trivia board game. It's a blast! Took it to the Houston, Texas to the Livestock Show & Rodeo back in Feb-March of this year.

Kim Image
Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Post by Ricky Littleton »

I'm a radar systems engineer for an Air Force Contractor assigned overseas. We're the guys that track all your space debris and so forth. As a group, we're known as Range Rats!!!

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Dan-Echo, E-Bow

Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

I am a computer Network Administrator. I am now going back to school to get my Master's degree in Information Systems - Project Management.

It allows me to play my Sho~Bud Pro 1 and my new Fender D-8 Stringmaster.

Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) <A HREF="http://www.darkmagneto.com

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.darkmagneto.com

</A>
Kenny Foy

Post by Kenny Foy »

I really like this thread. Just put in 30 years this week with GOODYEAR TIRE AND RUBBER CO UNION CITY TENN. MECHANIC. Operate a dozer and gravel business on the side. Just started learnin the steel a few years ago. Learnin the steel has been a life ambition since I was a child. No other musical sound n the world like it. Bar none. I just wish we had faces to go with all these names. What will I be doing 25 years from now? DEAD or still learnin how to play this dat burn steel. But I love it. KENNY R.FOY LYNNVILLE KY. HOME OF THE BROKE AND THE BRAVE.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I am a Brick-mason, have been for the last 26+ years, self-employed, I play steel on the weekends here in Ca, I am getting tired of the Brick's, hope to stop one day soon...and learn to play steel!!!!!

------------------
[url=http://david_wright1.tripod.com/]My Web Page[/url]
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

Jeremy Brownlow

Post by Jeremy Brownlow »

I am a pilot in Austin, TX age 31. I have a lot of time to practice, gig, and study. I play guitar, steel, fiddle, and steel drum in a local friends and family band. My wife plays the drums! http://www.captainburko.com
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

Ken Foy, Rick Tyson has a web site with a lot of pictures of Forumites.

David Church and the Side Track Band
www.greenapple.com/~ace1/

I think that's the correct address, if not, someone else may have it.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by George Mc Lellan on 09 August 2002 at 07:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
JIM ATKINSON

Post by JIM ATKINSON »

Law enforcement, twenty five years. City police, rural deputy sheriff, now city police again. It pays the bills . . .