Jobs in TX hill country

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Grothusen

Jobs in TX hill country

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Do any of ya all have any information on the job market for steel pickers in the hill country of TX? Not necessarily looking for full time type things but 2-3 times a week.
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

There are approximately 30 steelers in the Hill country area.Ask Herb Steiner,he knows just about anything that happens in that area.Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I can't speak for Herb, Ricky D., Tommy D., or the other 'A' players, but as a 'C' player, to work 6 - 8 gigs a month I have to drive a lot of miles and dodge a lot of deer at 3:30AM Image... at least the money sucks.

------------------
Home Page

Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Bill - I didn't have to dodge any deer, but I did have a collision with a buzzard this morning, about halfway between Utopia and Sabinal.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
B Bailey Brown

Post by B Bailey Brown »

Dave,

As the others have said, the jobs are few and scarce these days, even in Texas! Yea, we probably have more jobs down here than a lot of other places, but even at that there are not a lot to be had. If you are lucky enough to get on with a band that works a lot you might work a couple of nights a week, every week.

Mostly what I find in San Antonio are $50 beer joint gigs on a Friday or Saturday night. And even that is sporadic. The truth of the matter is, there are just not a lot of places to play anymore. Couple that with the fact that you have probably 350 “bands” (and I use that word carefully! Image) competing for 100 jobs…well, you get the picture!

Additionally, as Bill said, sometimes you might make $100, but you have to drive a LONG way to get it. Keep in mind Texas is a BIG state! (Long = LONG!!!) By the way Lee, I looked on a map and as far as I could tell there was NOTHING between Utopia and Sabanal! Ahhh…except you and that Buzzard! Image Sorry about that chief… Image

B. Bailey Brown
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Well, I guess things are no different in TX except the music. I am here in Kansas and have had some real good gigs in the past three year but never liked the music. The crowds are young and all they want is noise. I guess we can't have it all.
Thanks for your input.
Dave
Don Olson

Post by Don Olson »

The problem is the same all over,it's called OMVI.People are afraid to go out and party.I'm not saying the laws are wrong they are right it's the dummies that abuse the beer.The breathalizer in Iowa is 1.0,in Illinois it is 0.8.A friend of mine was picked up in Illinois his breathalizer was 0.87.fine was $2300.00 and he lost his driving privilage for six months.
I play a few jobs a month here and then I go with the snow birds in the winter and play a lot.
ZUMSTEEL FOTEVER