how'd your seat break

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Brown

how'd your seat break

Post by Wayne Brown »

folks i would like to know all your sorry stories on how your pac a seats got broken , beat up, tossed out ,smashed ,crashed ,boomed,bashed, run over,stampeded,cliff dropped,hung out,kicked,punted,and anything else you can think of...because i ran out of words.. Image Image Image Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 05 April 2002 at 04:50 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 05 April 2002 at 07:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

and by the way i guess i should mention a surprise at the end of this Image Image Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 05 April 2002 at 07:08 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 05 April 2002 at 10:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

come on folks let me know .... you could win a free standard out west pac-seat<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 06 April 2002 at 11:16 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 06 April 2002 at 03:21 PM.]</p></FONT>
Harry Teachman

Post by Harry Teachman »

Ok, I'll bite! I have a Sho-Bud seat that I purchased around 1978 from Bruce Cogburns' "Pickin' Parlor", in Pembroke, Massachusetts. I think I paid $65 for it. I still have it as it is the only one I ever owned! The poor thing is falling apart, but still does the job.

Harry
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

cool keep it coming when this thread ends i'll give what i feel the best story a free standard pac seat so lie scam fib make it up but let me know

wayne brown
c/o out west pac-seats

carter sd-10 nashville 1000
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

This is strange.....because I, too, bought a Sho-Bud Pac-A-Seat from bruce back in the mid-70's......I don't personally have it anymore....but a best friend who is learning the steel (about 2 yrs) has the seat....I gave it to him when I got a new one. I had it re-upholstered and had a new hinge put on it because of the amount of touring it did with....The Dick Curless Show, The Connie Smith Show and the Sleepy LaBeef Show. The thing still sits good (so RJ says). HAL
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

My GFI seat with backrest broke twice.
Both were repaired and the seat is still holding my ample posterior.

First the right angle bend weld in the alumimun backrest broke. It had to be bent back into shape and resoldered.

Next the wood where that backrest screws in stripped. I put a metal reforcing bracket in it's place. OK again.

Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

The first time I sat on my pack a seat, it broke into several pieces, I have since been afraid to sit on one. I use a chair, as I am still emotionally scarred from my pack a seat experience. I look around at all my fellow steel guitar players in envy, wishing I could enjoy the wonders and convinience of a pack a seat. I am just now coming out of my pack a seat shell and contemplating the the joy of trying one of the newer models of pack a seat, still I am somewhat apprehensive, maybe a similar fate awaits me. Perhaps an Out West Pac Seat just might be built with the strength, and precision as to preclude such a disasterous event fom occuring again.......perhaps. Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 07 April 2002 at 06:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

cool hehehehehehe keep it up lie cheat fib make it up let me know

wayne brown
c/o out west pac-seats

Tom Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

Since you asked....my pack-a-seat was purchased new and I especially like the side compartment for strings, etc., but the foam on the seat (2-inches thick) felt like I was sitting on concrete. I took it out and replaced it with a softer piece (3-inches thick) and it does wonders for my cheeks. Image
Joel Glassman

Post by Joel Glassman »

I was sitting on my Fiddler's Pac-a-Seat,
(you know, I think people have been reluctant to hire me for that reason)
well, it was during a performance with Shania
and I'm sorry...What was the question? Do I win something? Image
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Please tell us you're gonna make one that's much lighter than what's out there now (without sacrificing space or stability).
~pb
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

When a friend from Texas came over at my place and wanted to sit behind my steel, he asked surprised: Where's you're pac-a-seat?

No pac-a-seat yet Image
still using the same chair that I use sitting behind my desk.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Kenny Foy

Post by Kenny Foy »

Hay I tried a pac a seat but my feet wouldnt reach the pedals so I sold it and got me a wooden pop crate, turned it on it's side, took the seat off my motor sickle,nailed it to the crate, and I've been SIERRA-nading, SHO-B oating and ZUM-ming along ever since. Kenny Ray Lynnville Ky. Home of the Broke and the Brave
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

hey pete check out our web site www.outwestpacseat.ca all the spec's are there....and keep the responces coming folks the crazyer the better....

wayne brown
c/o out west pac-seats

carter sd-10 nashville 1000<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 08 April 2002 at 05:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

When I first got the Charlie Pride gig in 1977,I flew out to Denver and collected my steel but the airline had lost my seat. Luckily my volume pedal fit into the space at the end of my Sho-Bud case and I always carried my bar and picks with me.I had to meet Charlie and the band at a specific time so I told the freight guy to hang on to my seat if it showed up and I'd be in touch.
I split to the other end of the airport,met the guys and went straight to the gig.I played my first gig in a shopping mall - no rehearsal - sitting on the bass drum case.After the gig,we went straight back to the airport and got on Charlie's charter plane which was a 50s era high wing twin engine Lenard Skynrd special that anyone in their right mind would never risk their life in.No joy at the freight office,so I ate 2 Valium and we took off without my seat and went to Dallas for the night and then to Houston the next day for the annual rodeo in the Astrodome - still no rehearsal.This time I had to wear my predesessor,Gene O'neal's 70s pink leisure stage suit which was around 3 sizes two big for me - and sit in a plastic chair like the kind you find in the waiting room of a cheap credit dentist on the South side of El Paso.In front of 80 thousand people,I was looking like a hillbilly pimp on stage with a bunch of other matching hillbilly pimps with my coat sleeves rolled up - sliding around in my double knit pants on that plastic chair every time I hit a knee lever.Gene was the musical director so I was not just trying to replace a great steel player - he led the band through all kinds of convoluted modulations and medleys of Charlie's many hits.I sucked large - and could prove it.I couldn't have done anything else under the circumstances - the band knew it,the audience probably knew it and I sure as hell knew it.Charlie would give me the evil eye every time I played thru a break or missed a cue I had no idea was coming.In the middle of that show I realized all my spare strings were in my missing seat so I was also sweating breaking a string - which I didn't - but that would have made my nightmare complete. Jeez - it may not have been THE MOST humiliating musical experience of my life but it was in the top 5.But at least I got to be a "Pridesman" for a while.
Weeks later,back in L.A.,I finally got my seat.Turns out it never made it out of L.A. and thanx to some rocket scientist screwing up the paperwork,just spent several weeks in an unclaimed freight warehouse.True story - you can't make this shit up. So yeah...I figger I got a free seat commin'
Black please - to match my Sierra. -MJ-
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

hey kenny do you have a pic of that one i sure would like to see that....hehehehehehe

wayne brown
c/o out west pac-seats

Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

come on folks ham it up let's see what you got ...remember the winner will get a new standard out west pac-seat....so let me here all of your total BS i need a good laugh

wayne brown
c/out wesy pac-seats

carter sd-10 nashville 1000<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 09 April 2002 at 03:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

<SMALL>"let me here all of your total BS"</SMALL>
Well, I won't mention the show by name but it was THE Major Steel Show of the century. There we were in the main hall, standing room only, and Top Vendors setup around the perimeter.

It was time for me to particapate in an on-stage jam. Six Steels were setup on stage. I was so nervous, being the only unknown on stage with FIVE MAJOR LEGENDS of Steel.

(I got this coveted place as a door prize)

Scotty announced all the players that really need no introduction, then he introduces me!

I stand and wave at the crowd and TV cameras. As I sit back down, the left set of legs on my seat fold in and I fall sideways onto Herbie, who falls onto John, who falls onto Hal. Just like dominos! Hal takes out
Don who falls on Theawfulist!

Theawfulist rolls down the stairs, right into the Mullen Booth, which collapses onto the Kustom Covers Booth, which falls onto the Franklin Display, which falls onto the Zum Booth, etc, etc!!!

Before you know it, all the displays have fallen and the domino effect continued out the door, thru the Carter Display, and did not stop until all the Bronze Awards in the Hallway had fallen!

Finally the Dominos hit the Electrical Breaker Panel plunging the entire show into the dark!!

I'm used to packing up in dark bars and hitting the road, one step ahead of an angry mob. These skills sure came in handy that night!

I was so embarassed that I changed my name and gender, and relocated to outside of the international border.

Darn defective seat!

-j0ey-

<FONT SIZE=2 COLOR="#000099"><p align=left>Actual Photograph Taken That Night</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 10 April 2002 at 05:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

.........Never mind!
Jerry
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

now were talkin keep it up Image Image Image Image Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 09 April 2002 at 08:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Bowden

Post by Bob Bowden »

My dog ate it. Image
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

i knew that one was coming... Image Image Image and don't anybody tell me your cow fell on it...hehehehehe Image Image Image Image keep em coming folks

wayne brown
c/o out west pac-seats

Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

well come on folks is that it Image Image
Kenny Yates

Post by Kenny Yates »

Well there was the time we had open auditions for John Doe the III and we all wanted the job because it paid $3,000,000 a year and at the time I was willing to take the paycut because I liked the guy. The open auditions went well and after I beat out Jimmy Day, Curly Chalker, Lloyd Green, Stu Basore and Buddy Emmons, I lost the gig because I had a purple Pac-a-seat and was wearing Panty hose.............never did find out who got the gig. Still have the purple pac-a-seat but the panty hose are too binding now.