Jay McDonald?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

richard cochran

Jay McDonald?

Post by richard cochran »

Can anyone give me any information on Jay McDonald, who played for Buck Owens? Buck always had great steel players, and I've wondered about Jay.

Dick
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

From the Pictures of Jay on the LP covers I have of Buck it looks like he was about 15 years older than Buck in the early 60's. He was a dandy. All 3 & 5 string stuff which to me is the heart of good country steel.

If Gary Walker see's this, he knew all the old west coast steelers and maybe he will fill us in.

Bob.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 15 April 2002 at 04:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Doyle Holly once mentioned that Jay quit due to the touring, overall I get the impression that Jay was very talented, but just didn't have the heart for the business.
By that I mean he didn't really seem interested in touring hard or playing the clubs, while at the same time the Californian studio scene was fairly well tied up by Mooney.
Whatever the case, it seems that Jay preferred a non-pro pickin' lifestyle. Perhaps he played a club somewhere for years, but I've yet to hear anyone recall him playing much after the Buckaroos.

Stories about his post-Buckaroos lifestyle seem to place him in Las Vegas, CA, or Alaska. Some have him as a landscaper, others as a card dealer.
Until we find Jay, he'll remain another lost player like Dave Allen and others who we sometimes hear about, but never really find anything but rumour.
I wish I had more info, but what can I say... maybe someone out there who's recently joined the Forum sits and jams with Jay every second Sunday?.. we can only hope.
GaryHoetker

Post by GaryHoetker »

Hi Richard: Jay McDonald was Buck's steeler circa 1962-1963 and is featured in three of Buck's Capitol Albums... "On the Bandstand", "Buck Owens Sings Tommy Collins" and "My Heart Skips a Beat/Together Again", that can be purchased on-line [url=http://www.sundazed.com,]www.sundazed.com,[/url] and www.cdnow.com. Jay's playing on the Fender 1000 in the "On The Bandstand" album, particularly his solo rendition of "Release Me", is some of the greatest steel on record, in my opinion. I've heard that Jay now lives in Las Vegas and has a landscaping business. He is definitely one of the forgotten greats.
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Jason, you da man wid da scoop.
Jerry Brightman

Post by Jerry Brightman »

Dick,

The next time I talk to Buck's office, I'll ask for you and see if any of the guys know where he is..

See you at the New Philadelphia show in two
weeks....

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 15 April 2002 at 10:18 PM.]</p></FONT>